“Nicest restrooms on the island!”

Barrier Reef Sports Bar & Grill
Ranked #11 of 97 Restaurants in Caye Caulker
Price range: US$4 - US$9
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We like this place on Friday's from 3:00 to 6:00 pm when some of the ex-pats have a guitar jam. Music was okay, but crowd was fun. Take your time to seek out Scott, the tall, lanky owner from Pittsburgh. I give the gentleman a lot of kudos.
He transitioned from working security for diplomats at the Embassy in Baghdad to buying the sports bar on Caye Caulker.....online, sight unseen! That is a guy who is ensuring he will never suffer from post traumatic stress syndrome!

He had never even been to CC. Just heard about the island through a friend who previously worked at the embassy in Belize and later with him in Baghdad. Jumped off the water taxi at the dock, strolled down to the beach to a building that looked familiar from pictures and introduced himself to a guy out front by the chalkboard. He simply stated "My name is Scott and I think I just bought this bar.". Check out his Baghdad photos on the wall by his office.

Not only is Scott ex-military, but a lover of dogs. Shortly within renting a place to live, he adopted a street dog. You will see him in the bar, as well as other familiar animals and their owners (Fluffy always occupies a bar stool next to his owner Lloyd).

I particularly appreciated the clean restrooms. No odor, bright lights, plenty of toilet paper, sink and a mirror! Best that I found on the island!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stick to American food in America!! This place gives McDonald's 1up on burgers. Why did we do that. BAD IDEA!!!

Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

This bar is the place to take a drink. The staff is friendly and helpful. The cocktails are not bad. There is a outside space on the beach where it´s nice to take the drinks and meet people.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Located beside the water taxi, this was a great spot to start the holiday. Drinks were strong and good value and the view of the sea was outstanding. They show a lot of sports including football and there was a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My boyfriend and I have spent the last 4 days on Caye Caulker and our only regret is that we did not make it to this bar sooner. There are a number of places with some tasty dishes and the Split has a fun vibe and nice view but my boyfriend and I rather spend time here than anywhere else on the Island. After more than a week in Belize eating kabobs, rice and beans and seafood, my boyfriend was craving a burger and I was in need of a good salad. On the Belizian Cayes, seafood, chicken, eggs and beans are plentiful but beef and most veggies are not. This is literally the only place on the Island if you want a decent burger and are missing the feel of a good old sports bar. While at other bars on the Island, we would get the random person asking if we wanted to buy a home made coconut drink, a CD of local reggae artist or even drugs. But this bar has the best atmosphere and you won't be bombarded with people trying to sell you stuff you don't want. You can sit back either inside or outside on the beach, watch sports on nice TVs or even play one of the many board games that they have.

And they have draft beer which we haven't seen anywhere else on the Cayes. Both the employees and patrons here are wonderful. We enjoyed our burger and salad with grilled chicken. And they have the cleanest bathrooms that I have seen in the Cayes!

This is a great place for singles, couples or even families. Best drink selection on Caulker! And the employees are terrific especially Scott!