Ignacio's Cabins
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$74
US$229
Travelocity
  • Pool
De Real Macaw(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
US$65
  • Beachfront
Anchorage Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$80
Popeyes Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)
US$58
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
Anchorage Resort Hotel Belize City(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
US$98
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Caye Caulker Condos(Caye Caulker)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewson stiltssand fliesrooms are very basiccoilsislandporchbelizebackpackers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We came to Caye Caulker in the Easter without a reservation which was not a smart choice. But there were rooms available on some places. Our taxi-driver drove us to Ignacios cabins. We were so tired after a long day with travelling so we said yes. That was the biggest mistake I have ever done when it comes to finding a place to sleep. It looked horrible and I couldnt even to the toilet. We decided to go out and eat since it was so ugly that we didn't want to spend ant time there. When we got back there was lots of ants in the bed (!!) and a huge cockroach on my backpack.
We had to book for two nights, but couldnt sleep there for one, so we went out again to find a new place.. You won't get your money back if you don't like it. So please don't go there. A beach view is not good, when the rest is soo HORRIBLE!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LineAlsaker
Reviewed 29 March 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Ignacio's in March 2011 for 4 nights and absolutely loved it. We read the reviews ahead of time and while I loved the location and the rusticity, I wanted to be able to have a warm shower and a bit of space in the room. The deluxe cabin was perfect. It's right in teh very front of the lot so we got nice ocean breezes and nothing blocking out view. The cabin had a mini fridge, sofa, coffee maker, tv, dresser, bed and lounging chair. The place was clean and stylish. The bathroom was also clean and the shower was great. Location was perfect - far enough so that you had peace and quiet but only a 5-10min walk along the beach to food and restaurants. I can't wait to go back to Caye Caulker and hope to stay at Ignacio's again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank VancouverKimYVR
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Given the earlier reviews, the Lonely Planet 'Our Pick' and our experiences with basic beach cabins we were convinced this would be for us. Quiet, basic, on the beach - what can possibly be wrong with this?
However, there happened to be a number of factors that had us running away as fast as possible:
When I first tried to make a reservation for this place, it took the owner/manager more than a week to reply. When I then called to confirm he already seemed unfriendly, but I blamed it on the bad connection. Then we got there and it was instantly depressing. The owner/manager didn't even let us take off our backpacks before he demanded that we pay for the first two nights. When I asked if we could see the available rooms he became very rude and told us they are all the same and if we didn't like them we would have to pay for 2 nights anyways because we made the reservation. Yikes.
The cabin itself was OK. Very basic but clean, pretty much what you can expect from the cheapest place on the island. And is does have nice views.
But the whole place made us very sad. Everything around the compound looks like a dump. The beach is cluttered with old lobster-traps and debris. And if you try to find the 'official' way out to the street, you will walk into a mess of rotting plastic junk.
If somebody ever gives this place a little bit of love, removes the ugly stuff, tries to listen to what backpacking people are after and just gives new arrivals a smile and time to settle before demanding money, it could be really sweet. But unfortunately our experience wasn't any good.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nyjulia
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I stayed in caye caulker for 3 months. i stayed just about everywhere. i too read wonderfull things about ignacios cabins . so it was my first place to stay. had to pay for 2 nites should have given me a clue! true, it's inexpensive, and quiet. but I couldn't even stay one whole nite. first off the propriator was rude. my cabin was missing a light in the bathroom . never did get a bulb! the bed and bedding was extremely filthy since i couldn't even see in the bathroom except by my flashlight. and what i saw was appalling. the whole cabin had an overwelming sewer smell. so it was a loss of money . asked for my money back since i could not stay even 1 nite . i was told no refund. so beware of ignacios cabins! there are plenty of places on caye caulker just as inexpensive if not cheaper that are clean and run by friendly people!

Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank mobra624
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We went to Caye Caulker without a specific plan of where to stay. A German couple we had met a few days before said that they had stayed at the Ignacio cabins, and that the beachfront cabin they rented was nice and very inexpensive. So of course, this was the first place we checked out when we arrived at Caye Caulker.

The place is located pretty far south on the island -- it would be a bit of a walk to get anywhere, and since I was traveling with someone with a bad back, this was the first strike against the place.

When we arrived at the property, we noticed a lot of overgrown foliage and several piles of garbage on the property, which was distasteful. The cabins looked fairly ramshackle, but we decided to take a look inside anyway. The insides were no better -- overall the whole property just looked depressing to us. So, although it was a pretty inexpensive place and might actually have not been terrible, we immediately wrote it off, and went to find something more centrally located and a bit cheerier.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple