“Go slow... I found it at Ignacios”
Review of Ignacio's Cabins

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ignacio's Cabins
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I heard about Ignacios from a wonderful person I met while on vacation...thank you

The cabins have a lot of history behind them and it shows, but like anything that has been around a while its seen better days. I was a little nervous when I first entered the cabin...especially when I met my neighbor whom I named Jim Morrison. Jim is a 3 foot long lizard that was staying in the cabin roof and wasnt pleased with me disturbing his relaxation. Jim stuck around for a day before moving along to some other abode, I dont think he liked my choice of music...eh
I backpack and camp so I carry a few extras that make sleeping and living a bit easier, down sleeping bag and a large silk sheet make a so so bed much more comfortable. The breeze coming through the windows and the sound of the waves breaking makes for a nice relaxing sleep.
I stayed for several days and each was more relaxed than the previous... I finally found the rhythm of the island and it was go slow... slow bicycle that I rented from Reuben... slow breakfast at Amour..slow swim at the split... slow dinner over belikans... and a slow cigar and rum drink in my hammock watching the most beautiful stars Id ever seen.
After a few days my cabin became...home...
Living simply helps you find the go slow lifestyle...wish Id never left my little cabin on the water...
see you next year JIm...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank capeChef

Reviewed 28 May 2012

O.K., if you are considering Ignacio's, you already know that you are going to be roughing it. This is the next step up from camping outside in a tent. All of the cabins are elevated, and they are about as basic as you can get, forget about having hot water because there isn't any. Ignacio's is right on the ocean, but it's about a 15 minute walk to the action of Caye Caulker.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank imahawkeye
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at ignacios in a standard cabin for three nights, and didn't mind it. Pros: raised cabin on the water, a great breeze, nice quiet (except the odd plane) location, private bath, private deck and hammock. Cons: stinky toilet, lazy staff, ants all over the room and bed, and a couple cockroaches to boot. Our toilet was broken (either ran noisily the whole time, or not flushable), and Ruben said he would fix it, which didn't happen throughout our stay.

It's cheap, but it's alright...

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed in the deluxe cabin at Ignacio's, it's lovely and really big with a double bed, pull out couch, fridge, mosquito net, coffee maker, private bathroom and a deck with a hammock overlooking the ocean. The standard cabins are smaller and more basic, but cheaper. You are located at the southern end of town so there isn't much foot traffic past your cabin, and it is very peaceful. It is definitely cheaper than other similar cabins on the beach.

That said, we did regret the lack of aircon as it was very hot. There also seemed to be bugs in the room as we had a lot of bites (even with mozzie net and coils...), and since you are at the end of town it is a long hot walk to get anywhere. The deluxe cabin is nice but is located in the middle of the group of cabins, next to the owner's house and general hang out area of the people who work/live there, so you don't have that much privacy.

Overall it was nice, and peaceful, but we didn't feel like we could really relax because of the lack of aircon and privacy.

Room Tip: The deluxe room is a lot nicer, but less private
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I'm so glad to have stayed at Ignacio's. Sure some of the cabins need a lick of paint and a bit of maintenance but they have everything I was looking for and needed for a comfortable stay. I stayed in one of the front cabins and the view from my hammock was simply awesome. The shower had plenty of pressure and an electric water heater if you felt the need for hot water (personally I hate superducha type water heaters so left it unplugged the whole time - I have no idea if it worked). The water in the toilet is untreated and so smells a bit but I guess it's better for the environment not to chlorinate waste water. The wifi is a tad slow for those used to high speeds but fast enough to check your mail. My room had a ceiling fan and another freestanding one but I never needed to use them as the room had windows on all four sides and was really well ventilated by the breeze coming off the sea.

Ignacio's is quite far south on the Caye so it takes 20-25 minutes to walk to the split. For me this was one of the attractions however as it means that you are out of the village and it feels a bit more like the little caye which it is. If walking is a problem hire a bike (they have the cheapest rates I saw on CC) or a taxi.

Reuben is a wonderful host who was always superfriendly and keen to help. I never once saw him being rude to a customer and he was in fact very tolerant of a lot of backpackers BS in my opinion. He, Ignacio and Ricardo as well as their families keep a watchful eye over the place and it seems untroubled by the thefts that seem fairly common in other establishments on CC.

For $15 - 22.50 USD (high season prices) I think these cabins are excellent value. If you need fresh paint and a/c stay somewhere else. Perhaps try next door where the rooms with these perks and the exact same view are $130 USD.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Charlie B
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Ignasio's for 3 nights and the place it's just fine. Very basic cabin but clean and with the private toilet and shower (no hot water of course) although the water in the toilet really stunk. We also had the free wi-fi which was a nice surprise and completely unexpected. Wouldn't suggest this place if you're looking at styling for long period of time, but the place it's fine for a short period of time. Good value for money!

Room Tip: Front cabins are probably better
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alessandro S
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We called before to make reservations, complete with giving out our credit information, and when we got there, were told "Uh, you must not have talked to us. I don't know where your information went to."
Not only was he completely unhelpful (he said "I think every place is full"), but the cabins looked shabby, very small, and not worth the money.
I'd recommend Tom's, a 5 minute walk away. Very clean, hospitable, free rainwater to drink, hot showers, and also beachfront.
And Caye Caulker, of course.

Room Tip: Go to Tom's, right down the same beachfront
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends