“better off sleeping in the street!”
Review of Ignacio's Cabins

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ignacio's Cabins
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I stayed in caye caulker for 3 months. i stayed just about everywhere. i too read wonderfull things about ignacios cabins . so it was my first place to stay. had to pay for 2 nites should have given me a clue! true, it's inexpensive, and quiet. but I couldn't even stay one whole nite. first off the propriator was rude. my cabin was missing a light in the bathroom . never did get a bulb! the bed and bedding was extremely filthy since i couldn't even see in the bathroom except by my flashlight. and what i saw was appalling. the whole cabin had an overwelming sewer smell. so it was a loss of money . asked for my money back since i could not stay even 1 nite . i was told no refund. so beware of ignacios cabins! there are plenty of places on caye caulker just as inexpensive if not cheaper that are clean and run by friendly people!

Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank mobra624
There are newer reviews for Ignacio's Cabins

Reviewed 30 January 2011

We went to Caye Caulker without a specific plan of where to stay. A German couple we had met a few days before said that they had stayed at the Ignacio cabins, and that the beachfront cabin they rented was nice and very inexpensive. So of course, this was the first place we checked out when we arrived at Caye Caulker.

The place is located pretty far south on the island -- it would be a bit of a walk to get anywhere, and since I was traveling with someone with a bad back, this was the first strike against the place.

When we arrived at the property, we noticed a lot of overgrown foliage and several piles of garbage on the property, which was distasteful. The cabins looked fairly ramshackle, but we decided to take a look inside anyway. The insides were no better -- overall the whole property just looked depressing to us. So, although it was a pretty inexpensive place and might actually have not been terrible, we immediately wrote it off, and went to find something more centrally located and a bit cheerier.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2010

This is one of those 'you get what you pay for' places. If you need to save money and just want very basic accomodation, this is probably alright for you. Just be aware that you may get dirty sheets, stinky and dirty bathroom and a run-down look/feel. What you do get is a quiet location, your own deck and ok view (mangroves area). A little worrying is Ignacio telling you about the termite problem (these cabins are on wood stilts).

Did a half day snorkeling trip from a lady setup by the pier next to Fran's. I'd recommend them. The next day did a trip with Carlos Tours. His boat motor had problems so he had to skip a couple stops and we got back two hours early, yet he charged everyone more than we were quoted the day before. I'd definitely NOT recommend him.

As for places to eat, Amor y Cafe has a good breakfast and coffee, both Rose's and Bamboo Bar had good dinners.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

If you are looking for a simple, no-frills and very affordable accommodation, but are dreaming of romantic vistas and your own terrace, stay here. Ignacio's Cabins are at the end of the "hotel strip" of Caye Caulker. Too far from the vibe if you are looking for amusement, far enough from the vibe if you prefer it tranquil. The walk into "town" and all the restaurants/bars is a very short one anyway.
The cabins are very basic, as are the bathrooms. You get two beds, some shelves and a shower. What you are really looking for, though, is everything you find once you step outside your door. The beachfront cabins on stilts all have amazing views of the sea, with spectacular sunrises, if you manage to get up that early. Get in the hammock, grab a good book and enjoy.

• Stayed: April 2010
2  Thank taolan
Reviewed 21 July 2010

If you arrive at Caye Caulker, turn left across the cemetery, there you will find IGNACIO's Cabins. For me, it's the best place to stay on this Island: It's directly at the beach, it is so quiet and with such a great atmosphere. You will enjoy it! Best value for price!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The price of these cabins on stilts can't be beat! Cabin camping at it's finest! We stayed here three nights and loved every minute of it. Rooms are very basic, floor and ceiling fan, bed and bathroom with shower. Incredible view of the water from our hammock on the deck. Ruben, a gentle giant, was the greatest host! He fixed our fan quickly, and kept us updated on the weather from his computer (Tropical Storm Alex). We enjoyed great conversation with him, and he even gave us a ride to the ferry on departure. Cheapest bike rentals on Caulker. Great value for your money, budget rooms, so don't forget to bring your own towel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Where to begin? The man who checked me in was not terribly interested in my business. He didn't smile and he certainly didn't offer to help me with my bag, even after being led from cabin to cabin. He didn't have all the right keys with him. When he did let me in to a room, I had to truck it back to the office to tell him that the door was broken and could not be locked! He changed my cabin, again. This time there were no light bulbs, the fan was broken and I had no toilet paper. I should have just left, but I was exhausted from the hot trek down the beach to get to Ignacio's. It is not close to the village. A woman is not safe walking the beach at night!!! Stay at your own peril.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
#10 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Hotel del Rio
Hotel del Rio
#36 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to Ignacio's Cabins? Share your experiences!