“Cute, cheap place”
Review of Marin's Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Marin's Guesthouse
San Diego, California
“Cute, cheap place”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this place during the easter holiday as it was one of the few hotels with availability, and I was pleasantly surprised for the price we paid, as it was cheaper than most hostels. The rooms are cute, in small cabanas and the owner very friendly and helpful

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2014

There are two properties on this review Trip Advisor. Guesthouse and Cabins, mine is re the cabins.

So I rock up and pay $50BZD per night and loved it. For sure its rustic but for $50 a night you get what you pay for. Hot and cold water and a fan that pinned me to the wall.

Clean tidy and well worth the money.

Interesting fact is that Doctor who has his island practice in the grounds is one of the most incredible surgeons I have met (Im ex ambulance) and I saw him work on 3 severe cases in my time there like it was a walk in the park.

Clean and tidy and lovely lady who runs the place.

Its away from the beach but equally as peaceful.

A lot of people seem to review the cabins as the guest house and vice versa which is wrong.

They are going to build more of both this summer.

Stay here but I preferred Ignaccios Beach Cabins

Room Tip: Cabin 4 was my favourite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I think every one who has stayed at Marin's guest house has had the same wonderful experience as I ...So what more can i say? The rooms are lovely, clean, with a stylish rustic interior design....but at the same time with the modern conveniences. Good lighting for reading at night, a small fridge, microwave and a nice shaded terrace facing the the garden for sitting outside. The bathrooms are wonderful, clean, again with good lighting, great showers and good hot water. The property whilst centrally located to the bustling action of the Island provides a quiet, sheltered secure atmosphere for guests. once you're in the gate, you in an oasis of peace and tranquility. The garden is quite lush, lovely flowers, plants and local trees...and again tastefully designed. I stayed in the new 'delux' cabana which was well worth it. across the garden are little budget cabanas. Their elderly uncle lives across the garden in his own little cabana, a beautiful lean elegant man. I loved watching him sitting on his front porch from my terrace. the pharmacy is next door and the Chines supermarket is just steps across the road. It's a family compound and a great place to stay. Magic and Michelle are wonderful hosts, accommodating and generous.
Magic who is a third generation local islander is a treasure trove of the history and culture of Caye Caulker.... and he shares this knowledge, his child hood memories, etc with humour in a fun matter of fact way. I left Caye Caulker having a deep understanding of the richness of it's Culture....because of him

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but I liked the the second floor corner cabana. I had a better view over th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We had the most amazing time in Caye Caulker and all thanks to the atmosphere of Marin's Guesthouse!! Magic and Michele are fantastic hosts and Magic being a third generation local islander, he knows everything about the fascinating culture and history of Caye Caulker.

The location was great! Just a little south of the arriving docks and within a five minute walking distance to everything. Our room was perfect. Very clean and has that brand new feel. The grounds were full of lush and beautiful flowers. Everything was very well taken care of.

Being a world traveler I'v spent many nights in different accommodations and I can say this place was just perfect!

Can't wait to go back!! :)

Room Tip: Any room should be great!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheHamiltonian
sorento illinois
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We scheduled online with Marin's Guest House because we heard about it from a colleague at work. The owners picked us up directly from the airport in their golf cart eliminating the need to wait for a taxi or go through the inconvenience of locating one. On our short golf cart ride we were given a little history of the island and information about places we might want to see. Our room was exactly as pictured on their website and was perfect for our needs. The guest house has a fenced in courtyard with a gate so there aren't any wanderers passing through the property as we noticed at other facilities. It is also conveniently located next to a market where you can grab anything you might need, there is a laundry service just around the corner as well. A dive shop is just an island block away, along with a restaurant for a quick snack before you head out or come back from your daily adventure. The guest house is just a minute from the waterfront and located next to a pharmacy for any otc's you may not have packed. We were treated well and would definitely use Marin's Guesthouse again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edward w
Granite City, Illinois
Reviewed 16 April 2013

our vacation in Belize was a wonderful experience! We stayed at Marin's guesthouse on caye caulker. We upgraded and stayed in the newly built Sun Cabanas rather than staying in a cabana on the budget side and it was well worth it! our room was very nice and clean; we had a refridgerator, microwave, tv, bathroom w/shower and a comfortable bed to sleep on. The a/c blew cold when we used it, but the cool breeze kept it cool most of the time which we enjoyed on the balcony. Magic and Michele are wonderful hosts, they provided housekeeping along with fresh towels every day; they also informed us of the many different experiences the island has to offer. We walked the ocean front where we smelled all the wonderful foods being cooked by the people of the island. You can get anything from a grilled shrimp on a stick, chicken ka bob along with their famous rice & beans & coleslaw, to tostadas, burritos, nachos, empanadas,tacos & meatpies! There are fruit stands with the freshest fruit we have ever ate as well as vendors selling their hand made souvenirs! Surprisingly, you can even get an awsesome pizza delivered from Pizza Caulker! There are just alot of great places to eat great food! Guitar jam at the Sports Bar really rocks! Tommy the owner & one of the singers really gets into it & the cuban guitarist along w/ the girl on the drums are awesome; THEY ALL ROCK!!! The most popular place on the island is The Lazy Lizard on the split. Everybody goes there to catch the sun rays, have a cold drink (watch out for the lizard juice) listen to good raggae enjoy the beautiful ocean & watch the gorgeous sunset! It's definately the place to be!!! THANK YOU MAGIC & MICHELE for all of your hospitality, it certainly made our stay on the caye an unforgettable one & we will definately be back in the future!!!

Room Tip: "any room in the sun cabanas are awesome"
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Muskoka District, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I arrived by water taxi to Caye Caulker around 6-7:00 in the evening. After going to a couple places that we had in mind and finding them full, we decided that the first place we came to with vacancy is where we would stay. Marin's was that place. We found the guy in charge, David, and rented a room from him. The only room with two beds and a private bathroom that he had was a cabana which was $50bz/$25us a night. I was tired of walking around with my backpack so we settled on the cabana.

The cabana itself was very rustic. It had a double bed and a twin bed, and two tables. The shower was very grimy, water pressure was light, and the water just drained out a hole in the floor onto the sand below. The entire cabana was made out of plywood, and the ceilings were quite mouldy. We thought of changing hotels but the hassle around town wasn't worth it for the short period of time we were staying. The bed was hard and the towels we had in our room on the first day had better days as they were quite raggy, but the next day's delivery of towels was an improvement. There were also bare wires and uncovered electrical sockets throughout the cabana.

There are lots of places to hang out and relax outside... Muskoka/Adirondack chairs, hammocks, picnic table, swings...

On the first night, we went down the road for Chinese food, when we returned and turned on the light there was a cockroach climbing on my stuff. For this reason, I slept at the opposite end of the bed the entire stay!!

There is a common area with a large picnic table and some swings where many sat around chatting at night. This helped to make the place much more tolerable as it was nice to have some good times with other travellers.
The place is pretty laid back, as is the rest of the island, but you don't see much of the people who were running the place - they tend to steer clear of their guests which made them come off somewhat cold.

I had every intention of checking out other places to compare prices on the island but never got a chance to do so. I think for the price of $25 a Night for two people, I got what I paid for. If you are travelling on a budget and can secure a private room in one of the popular hostels on the island, I would recommend doing so. Marin's, however, is a cheap alternative and only a short walk to the Main Street. It is also across the road from a grocery store and down the road from cheap food stands.

The accommodations themselves deserves 2 stars (at best), but for the cheap, cheap price, the social aspect, and the hotel's location, I have given it three stars. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I would go back to Marin's or if I would pay a little more to stay elsewhere. Staying here again is not completely out of the question - now that I know what to expect... For the low price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends