“Relaxing way to travel from Caye Caulker to Placencia”

Liberty Sailing Private Day Tours
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I signed up for the 3 day tour after staff were very friendly when I inquired for more information. We left an hour later than planned as there was a power outage in Caye Caulker, but this didn't affect the quality of the tour.
I had never been sailing before, but it was great to relax on the boat. Sunscreen is a must but there was usually a shaded spot available. Papa Joe and Sabbu were great hosts, cooking for us, answering all our questions, and fishing for us! We caught a Barracuda on our first day, which was a really tasty dinner, and plenty of other fish on our second day, followed by Conch on the third day of sailing. It was a very peaceful way of traveling, with several good snorkelling spots where the group spotted rays and all manner of beautiful fish. We even stopped just for a swim to cool down on the third day! I could easily have stayed on the boat longer, everyone was really friendly, and despite being solo traveling with 2 couples was perfectly fine. I highly recommend the peaceful, laid back tour.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I recently took the three day sailing trip from Caye Caulker to Placencia. The trip had some great experiences including being able to watch dolphins from the boat, observe rays and sharks while snorkeling, and eat lobster fresh from the reef. However, there were many safety issues during the trip:
-The tour company does not usually take down the names of people who were traveling, but the people in our party wrote ours down in case of emergency.
-We were meant to be on a boat with 6 people, however, the other boat (which also had 6 people) had an engine problem, so there were 12 of us plus 3 staff members on a single boat. There was hope that the second boat would be fixed and catch up with us, but no such luck.
-It was not clear if there were enough life vests or where the life vests were for the 15 people on board.
-With an overcrowded boat, it was hard to find shade.
-The first snorkeling trip was guided, however, the next four snorkeling trips were unguided with little instruction on where to swim and how long we could swim. The staff also did not do a count of people after snorkeling at the beginning of the trip. However, after we almost left someone behind, they did account for people.
-With luggage from 12 people, the boat was quite heavy and as a result swayed quite a bit from side to side in the choppy waters off Placencia. At one point water came over the back of the boat and knocked over a barrel of fuel.
-The staff was not alert when moving the boom of the sail. Luckily no one was hit by it.
There were also a few practical issues:
-With luggage from 12 people, it was difficult to access our bags.
-The camping gear provided was not waterproof and when I brought this up with the staff they responded that no camping gear is waterproof in Belize instead of acknowledging my concern.

1  Thank Gemma K
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Took a tour one night, was great and relaxing, just 5 of us on the boat. Recommend anyone do this once.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Liberty tours is a company that does not get enough attention! They are not on front street, therefore they offer much smaller crowds with a better show. The captain is a seasoned sailor and is extremely professional as well as knowledgeable of exotic sea life. We saw two lion fish on our trip! My boyfriend and I were previously booked with Raggamuffin and after we saw we would be on the boat with 26 other snorkelers we immediately started looking elsewhere. For the same price as Raggamuffin my BF and I got a private 8 hour long snorkel tour with four stops. Let me tell you, having a small crowd pays off when around the fish, every other company corrals their touristas like cattle in the water, our small ground enabled us to see much more than possible in a large group. The food was also DELICIOUS. We got a whole box of fresh cooked fish with lots of delicious sides, all from Roses restaurant the same owner as liberty tours, what a two for one!!! Our guide was the reason why we booked with them in the first place, what a lucky bet it was! He was very laid back, not pushy at all. We walked the island and talked with everyone in their tour shops. We figured if your spending 8 hours with the people, you might as well like them! Well we liked everybody and Liberty and would recommend it to everyone!!!! SUCH an amazing tour!!!!! Thanks Liberty, you guys rock!!

1  Thank corene713
Reviewed 18 July 2013

It was a quiet week when we were in town, and many of the snorkel and sailing tour operators couldn't guarantee that a trip would go. We did three trips with Liberty, and two went out with just my husband and myself. Their captains and mates are experienced and share great stories of their lives in Belize. The level of service was fabulous. One day on a snorkel we had trouble with our video camera. The captain took out his phone, jumped in, and shot underwater video for us at no charge and emailed us the results.