“Seaside Cabanas was great”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Seaside Cabanas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Seaside Cabanas
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Elgin, Texas
“Seaside Cabanas was great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at Seaside Cabanas for 5 nights and we loved it. The staff is excellent! They're helpful and very friendly. The location is fabulous and I liked the coziness of this small resort. There are some great photo opportunities with the landscaping and wildlife. We were there during the slow season and it was fairly quiet even with most, if not all, of the rooms occupied. The A/C wasn't really strong but at least it cut the humidity in our room. I saw other reviews that mentioned the concrete slab in lieu of a box spring on the mattress. We didn't have a problem with it at all and slept great. We would definitely stay here again.

I have only a few complaints...
1. They don't provide beach towels.
2. They work with Big Fish Dive. I extremely urge you ask them to work with another dive shop if they're arranging your diving or snorkeling. We had an absolutely terrible experience with Big Fish. Seaside's staff was helpful in assisting us with getting our issues worked out with Big Fish though.
3. We had cabana #6 on the 2nd floor which we enjoyed. My only complaint about the room is that the early(!) morning sun shines through the balcony door window onto the bed.

Restaurants around Caye Caulker...
We were looking for more authentic, local-style food. *Be prepared to pay for water by the bottle and iced tea by the glass (and it's a powder mixed tea) everywhere you go.* Here's what we found:

~Jenny's - this is a small burrito stand down the road from M&N Apartments and next to the liquor store. The breakfast of fry jacks, ham and eggs is great and the chicken burritos are wonderful for dinner. You can easily eat 2 or 3. She's only been in business a few months. Show her some love and try her food - it's great!

~Marin's Restaurant - great local seafood. I had snapper and my husband had shrimp. This was my husband's 2nd favorite shrimp plate and my favorite snapper plate. The shrimp ceviche is excellent too (and I don't like shrimp at all)!

~Rainbow Grill and Bar - seafood. Again, we had the snapper and shrimp. It was good, but tasted very much like what we'd get at home. The fried conch is excellent - very fresh.

~Happy Lobster Restaurant - great local seafood. We had barracuda and shrimp. The barracuda was fine. It was my first try and I now know I prefer snapper. Their shrimp was my husband's favorite plate of all the places we went.

~Syd's Restaurant - variety of local food. This restaurant didn't leave any lasting impression on me. I don't even remember what I had. My husband had the stewed chicken and fried conch - they were ok, but didn't stand out.

~Amor y Cafe - coffee shop. I thought the coffee was horrible and there were no free refills. I had a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast which was pretty good.

~Tropical Paradise Restaurant - we didn't eat here but some other guests at Seaside said the food and service was bad.

~We had tamales from two different walk-around vendors and weren't impressed with either one.

~The fresh pineapple and coconuts are great - don't forget to try them from the local vendor stands.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Durwood0123
seasidecabanas, Owner at Seaside Cabanas, responded to this review, 15 June 2009
Hello,

Thank you very much for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Seaside Cabanas.
Just a couple of points. We certainly do give out pool towels. There is a notice in every room to ask at reception for them. You would have seen all the guests round the pool with the same blue towels.

In regard to Big fish dive shop. We have just made the decision last week after several problems with this shop to no longer use them and to work exclusively with Belize Diving Services wherever possible for our guests diving needs. They are a well established dive shop on the island that is now under new ownership. The new owners are a very professional couple from Canada/USA and we are getting very good feedback about their service.

Again thank you for your feedback it helps us to continue to improve our guests experience.

Regards

Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

This hotel is right to the left when you get off the ferry. It's very comfortable and cute. The staff was very friendly. The pool was beautiful and relaxing. We only stayed one night but the rate was reasonable. It's a beautiful island.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at Seaside Cabanas for two nights at the end of May. We loved the laid back vibe of Caye Caulker and Seaside Cabanas! Despite what other posters have indicated, we thought Seaside Cabanas was charming and a good value. There may be other inexpensive, no-frills options on the island, which are targeted more towards backpackers on a budget, but Seaside Cabanas is definitely one of the nicest hotels on Caye Caulker. We thought it was well worth it and the hotel definitely lived up to our expectations.

Seaside Cabanas is centrally located on Caye Caulker, an easy walk from the water taxi dock and has a great pool and view of the ocean. We spent most of our time at the pool, where we met other hotel guests and enjoyed cocktails from the bar.

Our room was small but clean (room 16 on the top level) and had everything we needed. The only negative comment that I have is that hot water was in short supply and our air conditioner worked but wasn’t super cold (wasn’t really an issue since we spent most of our time at the pool anyway).

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They offered to call to help us modify a flight reservation, without us even having to ask. We LOVED Jabalos (sp), the Bartender. He mixed up some awesome drinks and we enjoyed talking to him. He provided service with a smile and was always ready to help!

Overall, Seaside Cabanas is a great, quaint hotel with a warm and friendly atmosphere and was our favorite beach destination during our trip to Belize!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Grayson, Ga.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

We loved Seaside Cabanas. In fact this was our second visit. Our family rented #4 for two people and # 17 which is a 2 bedroom unit. The units are bright yellow with Palapa roofs . The bar is conveniently located near the pool and provides free cinnamon rolls and coffee every morning . The wooden lounge chairs all have nice cushioned pads on top for enjoying lounging poolside or in front of the cabanas for a delightful and fantastic view of the ocean. There is also a hammock right in front between the cabanas and the beach. We all loved our beds. I read that the beds were not good. This is truly "to each their own". My husband and I are picky and love a firm mattress. We loved our mattress in #4 which was firm. The staff is great. I can't remember the bartenders name ( we called him J), but he is delightful . I had done email with Mary and Simon who were always responsive and as I said, Kelly is superb in every way!
For informational purposes if you are looking for transport to the island, I recommend using Margie @ "MargiesTravelBelize.com. " Margie actually met us @ the airport with her son and her brother. The cost was $40 USD one way for all of us from the airport to the Caye Caulker Water taxi. They picked us up in a van with great AC. I was told that Caye Caulker Water taxi was the Most reputable of our two water taxi choices. They were as we did have a problem and they (Harrison and David I think) took care of our problem to make sure that we were happy . The price was about $7.50 per person one way from the marina to Caye Caulker. I think I read that it was $12 pp each way so this was a pleasant surprise.
Also while we were in Caye Caulker (5 days) we went snorkeling @ the Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye and someplace called "The Aquarium". I priced almost every single dive and snorkel shop on the entire island and the best price was @ the hotel via Kelly. Oh let me say that Kelly @ the Seaside Cabanas went OUT of her way to ask daily if we were happy. She is the MOST consumer friendly hotel manager I have met in a long time. I think she got me the price of $105 USD per person for the 5AM to 5PM daily trip via Big Fish Dive center. I would recommend the dive center as we ended up using them a second day, BUT I would recommend that you ask for Cas as your dive master and avoid Tiko. Tiko did not help any of the divers on the boat with their equipment. He also did not communicate to the snorkelers the itinerary or agenda. I felt rushed to get off the boat when the snorkelers were dropped @ Half Moon Caye. We were not instructed to bring sunscreen , water ,etc for the two hours he left us there. It was as if he could have cared less if our family of 5 was there or not. Originally we booked a second snorkel trip through Kelly, but our family decided to dive instead of snorkel. I priced this second trip out and discovered once again that Big Fish shop was our best price to snorkel Hol Chan, Shark Rey Alley and scuba dive Esmeralda. Oh and they dropped us @ Ambergris the second island we were visiting @ no additional cost. I think we paid $550 or $590 ( about $300 USD) Belize dollars for 2 snorkelers and 3 divers. At the last minute my husband decided to dive Esmeralda and they charged him an additional $30 USD for the one tank dive addition. See Oscar for the negotiating and once again remember to ask for Cas. . I think Omar (not sure of name) would also be a good choice. All of the rest of the guys including the young man Snake are all good with the exception of Tiko who just doesn't seem to have the enthusiasm that the others have for diving or snorkeling . Truly I went to every single shop on the island and Big Fish had the best prices.
As for dining, be sure to check out "Syds". I asked Kelly where the locals ate and she referred me to Syds. Two of us had his famous chicken ( I had the breast and wing) with two sides for $6 USD for dinner . What a deal as most of our meals cost us $12 USD per meal. Our youngest son left most meals still hungry with the exception of Syds. Have a great time on Caye Caulker.
We had no safety issues or concerns and I had been warned by the Belmopan Embassy that tourists were being targeted . We stayed together and did not venture into unlit dark areas @ night. Basically it is just common sense. We live in Atlanta and I can tell you that I would NOT venture into Atlanta in certain dark areas @ night. I asked a lot of questions about safety and discovered that in most cases the crimes could have been avoided if the tourists had used some common sense.
Caye Caulker is so quiet and tranquil and truly a destination not to be missed.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Perdido
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week long vacation to Caye Caulker and Seaside Cabanas. We very much enjoyed our trip to Belize. We travel internationally quite a bit and extensively through the Caribbean and Mexico but this was our first trip to Belize. We generally stay in much larger resort hotels but wanted to do something a bit different.

We chose to take the Tropic Air flight (7 minutes) from Belize City to Caye Caulker which was taken care of by the staff at Seaside Cabanas. They booked our tix and charged to our room. The flight costs a bit more than the taxi and water taxi but I highly recommend this method of transportation. The views are absolutely amazing and made the trip even more enjoyable. A golf cart taxi transported us to Seaside Cabanas. I booked our room pretty well in advance and we had the opportunity to stay in Cabana #1 which in my opinion is the best cabana in the complex. It is directly on the water and the rooftop deck had amazing views of the sea. The cabanas on the opposite side of the complex were on a somewhat main street that is the direct route for all of the incoming and outgoing water taxis. The cabanas on the other side had no development next to them so they would be quieter.

The rooms were very nice and as noted in prior reviews, the lighting is somewhat dim with lower voltage bulbs but the front desk will provide additional reading lamps. The rooms otherwise were nicely furnished with bright colors. There were also mentions that the bed was not very comfortable but we found the bed to be quite comfortable. We did not spend much time in the room, however and spent the vast majority of our trip outdoors and used the rooftop cabana with its palapa, comfy lounge chairs and hammock quite frequently. The hotel serves coffee, tea and pastries at 8 am but we sometimes found this to be a bit late so many mornings we ended up going out to breakfast.

We found the island to be very casual and comfortable, the people to be amazingly friendly and we felt extremely safe the entire time we were on this island. It is truly a gem. And of course the snorkeling is amazing. One thing that travelers must be aware of is that there are very few places to swim in the sea on the island itself so if one is looking for a beach vacation with tons of immediate swimming opportunities at their finger tips, then this is not the place for you. We took a couple of snorkeling trips and the water off shore is spectacular - filled with amazing coral and sea life, although I wasn't too fond of seeing sharks so close by occasionally!!

We enjoyed morning walks down to the undeveloped southern tip of the island with beautiful bird life and lots of interesting lizards and sea views. We also enjoyed that the hotel was right in town with so many options for dining available to us. We enjoyed every restaurant that we ate it and found the seafood to be amazing. So fresh! The island does not offer much in terms of wine - lower quality wine was very expensive so this is not really a wine drinker's paradise, but excellent rum drinks and good Belliken beer from Belize.

We took a day trip to San Pedro and were not particularly fond of Ambergris Caye and believe that Caye Caulker was definitely the better selection. It really was a great little trip and we look forward to our next trip to Belize - perhaps down to Placencia!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Colleen_M_Price
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Seaside Cabanas Feb 18th - Feb 23rd and had a wonderful time. Seaside is the first property you see as soon as the boat reaches the pier. Check in was quick and the employees of Seaside are extremely helpful and professional. I suggest buying trinkets from the hotel gift shop as we found the prices to be bit cheaper than the stores on the beach. The room was small but nicely furnished. The bathroom a good size with a walk in shower big enough for two. The grounds are filled with lush tropical plants and the pool was always clean. My only complaint is that the beds are a bit too firm for my taste but other than that I would certainly visit again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Norwich, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

I stayed in Seaside Cabanas for just 2 nights on a trip away from Belize City. I found the staff very helpful and accommodating in a low-key relaxed way. The room was large and comfortable with a great hot shower! I particularly enjoyed relaxing by the pool and making the most use of the garden/pool area watching the world go by on the beach. Seaside Cabanas are located very conveniently close to the ferry terminals and it makes the perfect base from which to explore Caye Caulker.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo