“I enjoyed my stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seaside Cabanas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Seaside Cabanas
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Atlanta, Georgia
“I enjoyed my stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

It's funny: just as I was about to click "Write a review", I saw that a person stayed during the night of 12/1 and had a horrible experience, and as I was researching this hotel before going, I saw one other review in which a person complained about money problems when they tried to check out early. Of course, I can only comment on my own stay, but I did make sure to decide to not leave the hotel early if I was going to stay there at all.

A friend of mine and I visited Caye Cauker during the week on Thanksgiving '10 (11/20 - 11/28). First and foremost, I enjoyed my stay very much. From what I could see of the island, I believe that Seaside Cabanas may be the nicest hotel on the island though some of the condo properties appeared to be comparable.

======

I did not have a single problem with service. The lady who works the front desk was cordial and helpful. At one point, I thought there might be a problem with the room and she had the hotel staff look in to it immediately. The maid staff was nice enough though a bit light on English. I also did not have any problems with theft from the staff and I didn't hear of anyone else having that problem (you get to talking to people at a place like Seaside, so I probably would have heard about it if it had happened). My friend and I made pretty good friends with the bar staff (Jamilia -- sorry if I spelled your name wrong, hun -- and Jubalo -- ditto, Jubalo). The drinks are pretty cheap and the bar staff is good people. The negative review mentioned that the bar staff could not resolve a problem with the room, and I remember a guy complaining about the same thing while I was there.

People, this hotel's office closes down at night as do all of the others on the island. The bar staff is powerless to resolve problems with the rooms. Good thing? Bad thing? I don't know, but it simply is what it is.

Lastly, a couple that arrived on the day that I left unfortunately had most of their money, all of their credit cards, and their passports stolen in their trip from Mexico to the hotel. Normally, you need to provide a credit card and ID in order to check in (which, of course, they did not have). The lady at the front desk (nearly as I could tell) took really good care of them and, being Sunday, let them check in and started working with them on how they would contact their credit card companies and get over to the embassy in Belmopan the next morning to get their passport sorted out.

The reason that I go in to all of this detail is that when I've seen people complain about Seaside, it always seemed to be because someone did not receive the same level of service that one might receive in the US or in Western Europe.

***** Seaside Cabanas is located in neither of those two places *****

If you're not down for a super laid back island in a developing nation then don't travel to one.

The Property
==========

The property -- well, the pool area -- is gorgeous. It faces the ocean and I fell asleep on the pool chairs on more than one night.

The Rooms
=========

Of course, this is probably the most important section. The rooms were fine. Mine, at least, was air conditioned. They have a small thirteen inch television in each room. The bathroom was clean. The shower water was warm. Good water pressure in the toilet. As with other hotels on the island, there was a small sign asking that toilet paper be placed in the trash can rather than being flushed. Ha! I don't think so! My toilet paper went in the toilet all week, and I had no problems. I did think that the bed was liiiiiittle hard, but 1) it was still fairly comfortable and 2) my mattress here in California sets a pretty high bar.

=======

Fine location. If you stay on Caye Cauker at all, I strongly recommend that you stay in town on the Eastern side. You'll get the best breeze there, and that will battle both the heat and the sand flies. If you stay anywhere else on this island, may God have mercy on your soul.

The hotel is directly across the street from the Sandbox which has fairly good local food for a very cheap price. It's also a block away from Roses which is a favorite of most tourist (and it DOES have very good food). You're also a five minute walk from just about everywhere in town including the island's two water taxis (one is right beside the hotel) and the dock from where the two snorkeling trips that I took departed.

Long story short:

I enjoyed my stay on the island, and I would stay at Seaside Cabanas again.

Hope this helps.

Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank fyvekatz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

I really wanted to love this place, and I almost did.
This is a beautiful hotel in the center of the island. I found the location to be convenient and the grounds charming and pleasing to the eyes.
The staff was friendly and helpful throughout the day. We stayed in Cabana #2, with a nice ocean view and comfortable rooftop terrace. The room had nice air conditioning, a mini refrigerator, and plenty of hot water. The wifi barely reached Cabana 2, but we made do.
There were 2 cons for this hotel, which can be corrected.
This place would have gotten five stars from me, if I had been able to sleep at all during my 3 night stay. The bed was not comfortable, with large indents at the head of the bed. I felt that I had to hold on to stay on the bed. It made it uncomfortable and difficult to get to sleep.
Then, on night 2 of our stay, we finally started to drift off to sleep, only to be awoken by a loud dragging sound from above. We realized in our sleepless haze, that it was the sound of a lounge chair being dragged on our roof-top terrace. Someone was up there in the middle of the night.
We discussed the matter with hotel staff the next morning, who took the issue very seriously. They said they would check security cameras, and let the manager know. Their concern was certainly appreciated by us.
Later, it was figured out, and reported to us, that what we heard was the security guard. Apparently, above Cabana 2 is where he spent his evenings in patrolling the building. We reiterated that his moving the chairs woke us up (and we didn't get back to sleep). Again, the staff was receptive and kind to our concerns.
Unfortunately, we were woken up again the next night with the same noises from above. This was our last night on Caye Caulker, so we let well enough alone.
I might return if management could assure me that there were new beds in the cabanas, and that the security guard no longer took residence above the rooms at night.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennythomas74
seasidecabanas, Owner at Seaside Cabanas, responded to this review, 5 December 2010
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
I am glad you found the staff helpfull during your stay. I am very sorry to hear you found the beds not up to scratch. I can assure you that all mattress have now been replaced as part of our upgrades before this busy season. In fact we took delivery of the last 2 new ones this Friday afternoon.
As far as the security guard making noise this will be taken care of immediately. I have sent you a private message to get in touch with me and we will certainly make this up to you and make sure you have a perfect stay on your next visit.
Simon
Jerusalem, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

We ordered three nights in this hotel in advance. We got there and we got a room on the second floor, there was no one to help us with our bags, it was really hot outside and we were barely able to get the bags up to the room, we got to the room which was poorly accessorized and steaming hot! The air conditioner did work, we got down to call someone but no one was around beside some women in the bar but they said they couldn't help us. after about half and hour they were finally willing to call the manager of the hotel who told them not to bother him because he was on a lunch brake, he said he will fix it in an hour. In the mean time my father (58 years old) started to feel really bad because of the heat. We asked for help again but no one came. He fainted and they didn't even offer us a glass of water. in the end we were transferred to a smaller room with a working air conditioner. by that time the day was wasted my father felt really bad, we decided to leave for Ambargis Island the next day, when we let the hotel know about our decision they said we would still have to pay for the other two nights we ordered we tried to explain but there was no one to talk to. we ended up paying almost 400 US$ for a one horrible night stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank hilam
seasidecabanas, Owner at Seaside Cabanas, responded to this review, 6 December 2010
Hello,

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience.
I have reviewed this day with my staff and security footage to see what actually happened.
Firstly in regard to luggage, it is certainly our practice to offer assistance on your arrival. Our receptionist that dealt with you was actually rather pregnant so could not carry the bags herself but an offer is always made as our groundman is always on hand to help in this regard. If this was missed then we certainly apologise.
At no point did my manager say to my memeber of staff "not to bother him", he headed back to the hotel as soon as he could. I have seen that the AC was in fact working again within 2 hours from the initial report.
There was no fainting incident as you quite clearly told the lady in the bar afterwards, though I understand the boat journey etc is very exhausting and guests can certainly arrive very flustured. This is why the staff had also given you the use of a another room while your AC was being fixed so you had somewhere to cool down and relax. One of our cleaners was in fact very shaken up by being shouted at by one of the male members in your party, but again I understand the frustrations of problems occuring on arrival and we always endeavour to fix any problems as soon as possible. You were also offered a free snorkel trip to make up for your inconvenience but this was refused.
We hope you return to Caye Caulker one day to have a better experience of our lovely island and we would be more than happy to serve you better in the future.
Simon
Owner
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

This was the first of many stops on our trip through Belize/Tikal and it was a wonderful start to our splendid trip. Service was great, staff was friendly and very accommodating. My husband liked the place so much, he even wanted to stay an extra day. I just mentioned it to the front desk and they told me 'no problem'...
Belize is one of the most welcoming countries I have ever visited and starting off at Seaside Cabanas made the entire trip enjoyable from start to finish.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

My husband & I spent 5 amazing nights here in one of their beach front Cabanas for our Honeymoon early this month. We had the most fantastic time we could have ever imagined! The Staff welcomed us with open arms & gave us plenty of Island information & advice, the room was beautifully clean & perfect for our 5 night stay.
We stayed in Cabana 2, right on the beach front and as we open our door, right out onto the pool!
We spent our days doing a range of activities, Snorkeling, Island Hopping & Fishing. The Hotel reception arranged all of this for us, we did want to do the Cave Tubing also but they had alot of rain a few days before we arrived so the caves were closed! But that will be a MUST DO on our return!
Overall Caye Caulker is a wonderful peaceful friendly Island, the locals go out their way to help you, and Seaside Cabanas was just the icing on the cake, they went the extra mile to make sure we had a great vacation!
We will definately be returning in the future.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

HORRIBLE staff. This place looks good from the outside, but the staff have the anti-island spirit and were rude. They wouldn't let us use the pool before check in time because we stayed our first night elsewhere - they said we could hvae chosen them and we didn't, therefore the pool was off limits until we were able to check in (even though we were paying in advance). They don't deserve your money!!!

6 Thank MelissainSD
seasidecabanas, Owner at Seaside Cabanas, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Hello, Thank you for your eloquent review heading.

It seems the meaning of your first sentence is that the staff have a spirit that is against the island. I can only assume you actually meant their behaviour was not in the friendly spirit of the island of Caye Caulker along with being treated in a rude fashion.

If this was your experience then I sincerely apologise. Our staff generally pride themselves on their customer service and would never set out to be rude.
As far as them being against the spirit of the island then I am not sure a visitor of a few days from California is necessarily the best person to make judgement on the spirit of the people who were born there so I wont comment on this as I was not born their myself.

In regard to the swimming pool I am afraid we cannot allow guests to use it before the day they check in. Otherwise people could just book their last night with us and use the swimming pool all week whilst staying in other accommodation, which would just not be fair on our paying customers. The fact you would have been charged a one night deposit in advance to make a booking if you had gone ahead and booked a stay with us, is just standard practice.

You would have found on your arrival day that we are more than willing to store your bags if you arrive early on your check in day before your room is ready and you would have been most welcome to use the swimming pool and facilities on that day whilst waiting for your check in time or earlier if the room was ready before then.

Again I apologise for your bad experience and hope we can serve you better in the future.

Simon Morris
Owner
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

This is a great place to stay. We were there in the off season so it was a bit quiet so no noise issues at all. Staff was great - from the helpful guy at the bar, to the office staff to the cleaning folks. Only thing they could possibly improve is the hard beds. I would highly recommend this spot.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel
#12 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Been to Seaside Cabanas? Share your experiences!