“Ehhhh,.... I might not stay again.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ocean Pearle Royale Hotel
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Dallas, Texas
“Ehhhh,.... I might not stay again.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

The place was OK. The best thing I can say about this place is the price, which for an A/C room is about $40 USD. For that price, one cannot complain too much about the lodging. So I am not necessarily telling anyone to stay away from here. Quite the contrary, I recommend this place for budget travelers, as rooms with no A/C are even cheaper. But, just my own preferences, things I like to see (or not see) when I stay at a hostel or hotel, I probably will stay somewhere else in the future.

Keep in mind, I am only referencing the room I stayed in, so what I mention may not necessarily be uniform through all the rooms.

Price: EXCELLENT

A/C unit: Worked somewhat OK, it did shut down on me once or twice, and began to make some weird noises, had to put it on a lower setting, still worked.

Bed: I slept on the bed, and woke up with my back hurting. Theres no resolving this unless you switch hotels, so what I did was take some Advil before I went to bed, and was able to avoid the back pains from sleeping on there multiple nights. Bed sheets were short. Not sure if there were bed bugs, or the material from the comforter was irritating my skin. Possibly both, maybe? I cant tell 100%.

Cleanliness: Good enough.

Location: Good. Actually Caye Caulker is small. Any location is good. But this particular hotel is on the northern end, near the Split, where one could go swimming. So I would rate this location as better than most.

Service: The lady at the front seemed to be helpful at first. However, I was put off a little bit when I asked to use the phone. Even though I wanted to make a local call, she hesitated and ultimately declined to let me use the phone. Instead she instructed me to buy a phone card and use a payphone on the street. Not so helpful in this instance. Just wanted to make a lousy phone call to the local airline office.

In the future, I would just be more inclined to try out another place. The place is not bad. I don't think most shoestring travelers will be disappointed staying here. But as for me, my own personal preference, I will try something else in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank househead00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in December, can't comment on prices as it was part of a Gap package.

What I can comment on is that:

- the owner left our door unlocked all day on at least one occasion (we thought we had done it on the other but it may have been her). The lock is a bit fiddly and works by changing it to 'locked' from the inside and then closing the door. When we returned at 7pm one day the door just opened with a slight tug. It had been placed into the 'locked' position, but the door had not been pushed to enough to hear the 'click'.

The most annoying part of this was that the owner denied that it was her and said that we must have done it. So the clean towels on our beds arrived there by her walking through walls.

- at random intervals through the night some form of generator would kick in for 5 minutes at a time and wake us up - through ear plugs, it was really loud and apparently right outside our room

- there was a sewage-like smell coming in through the window of our room (the windows are shutters, due to the climate, so don't keep out smells)

- when we left valuables at reception, we could only access them between 8am and 6pm, which meant that after a long days snorkelling we ended up having to use a credit card to eat out, incurring charges

On a more positive note, the garden and hammocks are quite nice with different birds popping in to visit.

Room Tip: Avoid the room that comes with a smell of sewage and very loud generator noises at frequent interval...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

We spent several nights here on our trip to Caye Caulker. The hotel is very clean and the owner always has a smile. There is a great common area inside with chairs and couches and a library where you can swap books, as well as a refrigerator and coffee maker. There is a very nice outdoor area too, complete with hammocks. Our room was basic, but nice - double bed, table & chairs, TV, ceiling fan, clean bathroom with a hot shower. The hotel is located very close to the split (beach, swimming, Lazy Lizard bar).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3nights at the beginning of our travels in March. we had searched numerous accommodations and found this to be the best for its price. We payed $25us for a double with a private bathroom.
The location is just down a side street near the swimming beach.
The owner was very welcoming and friendly. The place is extremely clean and we had our room cleaned everyday. Our room had a fan, cable TV, towels, soap, a small table and deck chairs. It was very cosy.
The main area of the hotel at the reception had a seating area with a fridge, microwave and coffee making facilities which came in handy for the hot weather!
Overall this place was great and would definately stay here is we returned.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Camacho87
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

I stayed here with 4 friends for 2 nights at the end of April 2011. We had 3 rooms, 2 with fans and one with airco. If you have airco you can not open your windows, but with 37 degrees outside you don't want to anyway.
We were made to feel very welcome.
The rooms (double bed and single bed in any of them) were spacious enough, clean and had comfortable beds. The badroom was basic and clean. Almost no water coming out of the sink but that was the only downside.
You can take free water out of the fridge, lounge in the lobby area were all rooms open into or relax outside in the beautiful garden.
Rooms were 25 dollar with fan and 40 dollar with airco.
When on Caye Caulker again I will go back!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Inge_Marlies
North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks recently at Ocean Pearl and was very happy with our accomodations. This place has a great location, a real oasis away from the main street, accomodating hosts and was super clean. We would stay here again and again. Here are some details:

Room 1 - double bed - no a/c
Rooms 2, 3, and 4 - double bed and single bed, no a/c
Rooms 5 and 10 - double bed, no a/c
Rooms 6 and 7 - twin beds (a/c to be added sometime in future)
Rooms 8 and 9 - double bed and single beds with a/c

Rates were (at time of stay) $25 for no a/c and $40 with a/c all with private bathrooms. You don't really need a/c here because the hotel is designed for the great cross breezes.

Wish Willy's is next door but we enjoyed their variety of music and they turned it off by 10pm at night so it was not a problem in any way.

Gertrude and Frenchie were excellent hosts and made several great restaurant recommendations. We loved our snorkeling trip with Frenchie to Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan Marine Reserve- the spiked watermelon at the end was particularly good.

Common area in hotel has shared refrigerator and coffee pot and water taxi schedules, maps, etc. Very helpful!
There is also a one bedroom cabana on site and plans to build another one.

We miss being there and especially their wonderful dog Mica who entertained us daily.
Hope to come back real soon !! (Maxine & CJ)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maxine P
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

such a nice and quite little place. the staff (owner) was extremely friendly.. was making coffee for the guests when we left early for our day tour. the room was basic - two single beds - but very neat and clean. The shower and bathroom was much nicer than other hotels (similar budget) we stayed on in Belize.

price and value were great. I would highly recommend

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends