“Nice corals little fish”
Review of Turneffe Reef

Blue Hole and Turneffe Islands Helicopter Tour
Zurich, Switzerland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice corals little fish”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

In general what we saw in belize is great corals but in relation very little fish life. It seams like arche noha...two of every species. Eagle ray wall was very nice site, great visibility.

1 Thank Ursula8006

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Don't use Frenchies!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Diving was good but not excellent. Fairly pricey for what it was too.

We found " frenchies" to be a real cowboy outfit.

The boat had almost no safety gear and a large structural crack through the gunnels, down to the deck on both sides. It ran across the deck too but had a dodgy patch over the top of it. When you went over a wave the cracks viably opened and closed! I pointed this out to a crew member and he laughed.

I then showed the skipper and be said " yes" and walked off.

I've dived in many developing countries before but this was the dodgiest. After a lifetime working in boats, I'm tipping that boat will sink one day!

6 Thank Simon M
Salt Lake City, Utah
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Save your money...”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Diving the Turneffe reef will set you back roughly $240 dollars per diver. So for me and my wife we shelled out $480 US to dive Turneffe and I must say that it is completely and utterly overrated. We were taken to the North side of Turneffe to dive there. And there was absolutely no wildlife whatsoever except for the occassional school of fish. I mean, the walls and the coral were pretty cool, but not almost $500 cool. For that kind of bread for a day trip, I would expect to be wowed and awed, but that was not the case...AT ALL. We payed huge for a very mediocre dive day on the North side of Turneffe and never made it down to where everyone says the good diving is, 'The Elbow'

Save your money and just dive the local barrier reef. For a mere 70-80 US a day, you get rays, lots of sharks, TONS of fish, turtles, everything you'd expect. I honestly think they do these atoll dive trips to simply burn off old fuel in their tanks and profit off you at the same time. Never again will I take an atoll trip in Belize. Serious waste of money..

12 Thank Erik S
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Blue hole”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We snorkeled the blue hole with Frenchies Divers. We were the only snorkelers on a boat of divers and they gave us our own guide. The reef is in great condition. We also enjoyed the other stop on Half moon caye. The nesting bobby birds were a treat. It was a great trip!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank lizwood71
Brugherio, Italy
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“I think that's amazing BUT...”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

... the Great Blue Hole showed in the picture is not here. It's located in the Lighthouse Reef Atoll that is 1h navigation from Turneffe.
I've only passed through this atoll (to go to the Blue Hole) and it is amazing: shallow chrystal clear water, the reef, mangrove forests, small islands.
I've read about it as one of the best places if you want to snorkel, dive or do any kind of fishing: fly, spinning, trolling and big game.
I would have spent one week in one of the few sport-resorts on the atoll but the prices were too high for my wallet, maybe next time.

Visited April 2014