“Throw away your watch, you don't need it here!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maxhapan Cabanas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Maxhapan Cabanas
Goose Creek, South Carolina
“Throw away your watch, you don't need it here!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2009

Maxhapan Cabanas on Caye Caulker, Belize was our final destination as part of a 13 day visit in Belize and Guatemala. There are 2 water taxi services to the cayes. I would highly recommend the newer one, San Pedro-Belize Express, which has been in business for 6 months. They have newer boats, much cleaner marina facilities and are extremely friendly. Especially Johnny. he will greet you when you arrive, carry your bags to the dock and make sure you get where you need to go. We stayed ay Maxhapan Cabanas for 4 nights. The cabana was clean and comfortable. Louise , the owner/manager has 3 cabanas that she rents out when her 3 children are not visiting. Louise offers free bikes for you while you stay. You can walk or ride you bike to anywhere on the island in just a few minutes. The cabana has a small kitchen corner. We prepared our own breakfatst in the room but ate somewheres different for every other meal. For our last full day on Caye Caulker we took a snorkeling trip to Hol Chan Marine reserve and Shark-Ray Alley. A must while you're here!! We higly recommend EZ Boy Tours. They were great!! If you would like to see where else we stayed, check out Tripadvisor (La Casa de Don David Hotel in El Remate, Guatemala and Cahal Pech Resort, San Ignacio, Belize).

• Liked — Louise and the island's atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sacramento, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

Maxhapan was a very cute little place. Our cottage was a single unit so we had total privacy. The storm shutters block out almost all of the light from outside, and the air conditioner was priceless. I also loved the hammocks and bikes Louise provided. (The bikes aren't the best, but they're plenty good enough to get yourself around) Most important to me was that it is off the main streets so there isn't a constant flow of traffic (yeah, it's only pedestrians, bikes and golf carts, but trafic is traffic.)
Everybody will tell you how attentive Louise is and it's all true. She can answer any questions you have about what to do and where to go. She has eaten everywhere, taken most of the tours and seems to know everyone on the island.
My only advice is about the island more than the cabanas, and that is to stock up on bug repellant. It's not the mosquitoes, its the sand flies. Ick!

• Liked — Privacy and Service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Milford, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2008

This is why I love Tripadvisor: I would have never been able to weed out the best amongst the many budget options in Caye Caulker with such precision. Maxhapan was not in either of my tour books, didnt have a website, and is off the main 'drag' of accomodations. The overwhelming good cheer Maxhapan has received is well deserved. What everyone says is true. Louise is lovely, helpful, and gives objective advice; the rooms are kept SPOTLESS; loved all the cozy spots to chill in room, balcony, and in yard; lots of bonuses for such affordable lodging (water, fridge, hammock/verandah, bikes, snorkels, cable tv w/ premium channels). Overall, a superb value (we paid $40/nt low season). There is also plenty in the common grounds there to enjoy: two story palapa, BYOB bar, grill, deck chairs and tables. We loved our room on the 2nd floor - we had relaxing star gazes and plenty of ocean breezes. Go to Chan's for a cheap and filling lunch ($3.50-5 US) and fresh OJ/grapefruit juices or Tropical Paradise for delicious charcoal grilled lobster dinner and great service.

• Liked — very well kept, free bike use; quiet, relaxing, private; verandah/hammocks, palapa
  • Disliked — beds just a bit on the hard side
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2008

My husband and I love Maxhapan so much that we are going back this winter. The owner was amazing, the grounds are well kept, the rooms are clean and large, and you get free water and bicycle usage. This is such a great deal!

• Liked — Everything! Probably the owner was the best part
  • Disliked — some shady characters walking by at night, but we never felt threatened
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

Maxhapan was exactly the right place for my stay in Caye Caulker. Louise was so wonderful - she gave me great advice and directions and is just a wonderful person. I was traveling on my own, so I really appreciated all her suggestions. She is so warm and friendly - she makes you instantly feel welcome.

The room was absolutely spotless and kept so the entire time I was there as were the lovely grounds. Louise also provided drinking water and use of a bicycle which definitely came in handy during my exploration of the island. Snorkeling equipment was also available for use, but I had brought my own. It was also nice to have a fridge, microwave and coffeemaker in the room.

I was pleased to be staying a bit off the main drag as it was very quiet at night while still being convenient to everything.

I loved having a little veranda to myself and put the hammock to good use with a daily nap!

It was an excellent value and when I return to Caye Caulker (hopefully soon!), I will definitely stay with Louise again.

• Liked — Extremely comfortable and clean with a super friendly owner who takes great pride in her property
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was perfect
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2008

Just the perfect place to stay in Caye Culker - tucked away from the main drag so nice and quiet, but only minutes from the sea, restaurants and tours.

Louise was the perfect hostess - we had bikes and snorkel gear at our disposal, fresh water and clean towels everyday and her local knowledge and advice was invaluable!

We were even invited to her own party and enjoyed a night with ehr and her warm and funny friends!

We loved it - spotlessly clean, welcoming, impecably decorated with a hammock to while away the hours.

Book in - you won't regret it!

• Liked — Everything was perfect!
  • Disliked — Small amount of noise from house behind
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2008

My adult daughter and I took a trip to Belize. We immediately felt safe, contented and thrilled to be hosted in this quaint place. It is just far enough away from the hub-bub of the main strip that you can enjoy some privacy. Bikes were included for our use and we biked all over the island (only 2 miles long!) everyday. There is also a dock for Louise's guest to use. The tall grass has been cleared for easy swimming. If you're as pale as we were, I'd recommend the 1/2 day snorkeling tour and not the full day. We used #45 sunscreen and still burned. Louse had all kinds of helpful hints for us. If you sit on the 2nd level of the outdoor cabana at night you get a wonderful ocean breeze by being up high. Enjoy-it's just un-Belizable how much fun you'll have :-). The back side of the island is a good place to watch the sunsets.

Stayed April 2008