“Absolutley Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Costa Maya Beach Cabanas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Costa Maya Beach Cabanas
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Alberta, Canada
“Absolutley Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

When we stayed at Costa Maya we soon realized that the handful of bad reviews were wrote by people that are spoiled rotten cry babies and would probably complain if they were hung with a new rope, because there is not anything that manage wouldn't do for you here to make your stay as good as they possibly could. Loosen up you up tights or stay home at a 5 star in your own country. We have stayed a number of places on Caulker but always try to stay here, for the location, hospitality, and service. They are extremely helpful at putting together your tours for you and as far as I'm concerned they employ some of the best guides on the island. If I could give a first timer to Caye Caulker one piece of advise, it would be to pay no mind to those negitive reviews from those negitive minded travellers who should have never strayed away from their 5 star resorts.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
West Columbia, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

Moved to this hotel because it's location was quiet for the north end of the island and it had A/C. If the A/C had worked. Woke up early and had to wait for the maintenance person to arrive to report the problem. Then I had to wait for the desk person, then the owner. Was told they would simply change rooms by the owner but then the desk person said the owner changed his mind and would we wait. Fortuately she then volunteered to give us our money back for the second night and we left, but I still feel ripped for not have the A/C to work in the first place. In general we were not treated with much respect. They are renovating the rooms but I don't forsee a change in attitude.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CMBCCayeCaulker, owner/manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, 13 December 2009
After guest had chose the room. I was at the back and notice the guest on the couch taking apart the air conditioner. When I asked him, what is he doing, he said he wanted to check it? The AC was working great. The next morning, when we arrived at the schedule time of the office opening of 8am, he was furious that the AC was not working. We offered his wife a full refund and a upgrade to another room, they turned it down. Our Air Conditioning repair man, said that the electronics inside had been knocked out, probably, when the guest was checking it, for some unknown reason. I think he wanted to make sure the filter was clean.
Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

Let me first just say that my husband and I love Belize-the people, the beautful scenery, everything!
After 4 adventure packed days staying in a lovely jungle lodge, we left for Caye Caulker. When we arrived at Costa Maya, everything seemed okay at first...until we got to the room. Now we were traveling on a budget and perfectly fine with bare bones accomodations. Let me just list what we did not like about the Costa Maya:
1. Massive cockroach infestation. Not like 3 or 4 roaches....more like 10-20 just in the living room.
2. Dirty mattress leaned up against the wall in the bedroom for no good reason.
3. Water smelled like sewage and signs posted not the drink from the tap...only place on the whole island I noticed this...disgusting for a shower.
4. Rude staff.
We found alternate accomodations for the remainder of our stay and it was amazing! (see my review for Seaside cabanas).
Our last day on Belize we wanted to snorkel, so we went to book a trip through our hotel and the only place that was going that day was tsunami tours. We were a bit hesitant due to our experience at costa maya, but we went anyway. First of all, the tour started an hour late, and they didn't care at all. They packed about 15 people onto a tiny boat and took off. It was really rough out that day, and literally about 5 minutes into the boat ride I started to feel seasick and asked if I could be taken back. For some reason, the tour guide became absolutely irate at my question, cursed at me and told me I was ruining the tour. He was absolutely not going to take me back under any circumstances even though we were just minutes from the shore. Luckily, I was able to hop on a passing water taxi and take it back.

So I was on the boat for a total of like 10 minutes and did not snorkel. When I went back to the hotel we were staying at I told them what happened. They said I should not be charged for that and that they would call tsunami to let them know. Well apparently the girl from our hotel called tsumani and got cussed out as well for saying we should not pay for the tour. We ended up being forced to pay for the tour. The owner of Seaside cabanas said this would have never happened any place else and they will never work with that tour company again.

Heather, the owner of costa maya/tsunami tours is an extremely angry and rude person for some reason even though she lives in paradise. We want to make sure everyone on here listens to the warnings about this place (which we did not do), and find another place to stay and do business. I am pretty sure this is about the only place in Belize you will find rude people and bad service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pinkstons
CMBCCayeCaulker, Manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Had the guest showed their displeasure with the room, a full refund would of been offered as per owner policy. You only pay for the first night, you are not held to your room if it turns out not for you. The guest check out and said they where leaving the island. I personally never met her, this is what my worker said. The next day we had a snorkeling trip and we received a booking from Seaside Cabanas. The lady got seasick and it ruined her trip. We offered seasick tablets and she refused but insisted the trip return. No one else wanted to go back except her, we waited for another boat to pass to take her back. When she got back she refused to pay Seaside and in turn pay us. It turned out to be the same lady that had stayed the one night with us. The guide told us what happen and we asked others on the trip and they didn't have to many favorable things to say about this lady. Cabana 6 has been renovated, a huge deck and a very popular unit. All new inside and the view is amazing.
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

Although the staff was very friendly, the accommodations left much to be desired. I did not go into this trip with big expectations for our lodging. We were going for the location, not the hotel. However, I was sorely disappointed in Costa Maya. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting. We stayed three nights and the shower didn’t drain. On the second night, my husband took a plunger to the shower drain and that helped, but still…As a female traveler, I can put up with a lot, but I would never recommend Costa Maya. The complementary canoes and bikes were a great asset, but everything had to be returned by 6, and the bikes were mediocre at best. We were going for budget prices, but I wish I would have splurged a bit and stayed at a nicer place. Trust me, it’s worth it to spend a little more and get a whole lot more bang for your buck.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TennesseeGrace
CMBCCayeCaulker, manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, 18 August 2009
I only meet the guest once, at check in.
Cabana six is the oldest unit and is under renovations. There is no water system on Caye Caulker, we depend on well water, that sometimes smell like sulphur.
Regarding the Snorkeling Tour
Seasickness can ruin a trip. We highly recommend seasick tablets and have them onboard the boat. We did not charge the guest, as we received the booking from the hotel, they stayed at.
We left later than usual because of all the people booking last minute, but we make up the time on the end of the tour. There is over 15 snorkeling shops on the Caye and all sent trips out. The guest was the only complain we receive out of 500 plus people sent out snorkeling this summer. We are very sorry that guest did not enjoy the trip due to seasickness.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

After reading a handful of negative reviews on here I admittedly was a bit hesitant about staying at costa maya. My partner and I had made the reservations months in advance without really reading anything negative and as the date approached I became doubtful. Im very pleased to say that all my doubts were at once dispelled!

We stayed in Cabana number 5 with a fantastic view of the ocean. Heather and Adela (sp?) were more than helpful and very available for us. they took an active interest in our stay asking us about the trip whenever we ran into them and making recommendations for everything from food to good places to canoe. We booked two trips one snorkel and one jungle and greatly enjoyed them. Our guides were extremely knowledgeable and very pleasant.

The room was clean and comfortable and had an available a/c (which we never turned on) clean kitchenette and a great balcony. I would gladly stay here again. The canoes were great and very handy and the dock and hammocks a big plus!

It hard not to enjoy yourself on Caye Caulker and Im glad to say that our stay with Costa Maya made the trip that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Slilights
Flagstaff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

Our room was little more than a plywood shack with a coat of polyurethane on it and the people at the desk acted like we were a burden and didn't show even the least amount of hospitatlity. Upside is the location is good, but that's not saying much on Caye Caulker - all the locations are good. If you stay here, expect fairly spartan accomodations and unfriendly people behind the desk.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CMBCCayeCaulker, manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, 3 August 2009
Costa Maya has 9 cabanas in total
There is two buildings at the back, upstairs and downstairs. Which host a total of four individual cabanas. The exterior is wood siding and the interior is decorative wood paneling that is varnished. Each unit has it's own entrance.
They are painted white with blue trim
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

I paid the $70 deposit in November for an ocean view room #5 (confirmed it a number of times over email) and showed up in January to enjoy my time on Caye Caulker. On check-in, the receptionist told me that the ocean view room was not available and that I would have to settle for one of the rooms in the back. When I argued that I had made the reservation over two months in advance, the receptionist shrugged her shoulders and said that she could do nothing and that Heather makes the decisions there. I asked the receptionist to talk to Heather who took the deposit from me for the ocean view room. The receptionist called Heather, but she would neither talk to me over the phone nor come to the property to talk to me.

The disappointment started there. They showed me the "alternate" room. The room was a dungeon - poorly lit and moldy. The room smelled like an airport bathroom. The toilet / bathroom and the bedroom were separated by a cloth curtain (which would have been fine if the bathroom had decent exhaust, which it did not).
The kitchenette was not what they say it is. It was a toaster and a pair of plastic bowls and glasses on a table next to the bathroom faucet. The glasses looked so bad that I would never touch them.

My wife and I scooted out of this dump and looked for alternate accommodation. The only thing going for this place is location. However, the island is so small and you can walk along the beach and get to the center from anywhere in 5 minutes. I would recommend staying south of the water taxi dock.

Over the years, I have stayed on islands in youth hostels and five star hotels and so have been exposed to a variety of options. This was by far the worst I have ever seen. As they say, you get what you pay for, but this place does not even come close. I would not pay USD20/night to stay here.

I talked to a few other businesses on the island and they said that the Costa Maya Cabana people have know to be cheats and that their business practices have been hurting the reputation of the island.

In summary, I would give this place a negative 2 if possible!!

If I recommended this place to my friends, they would think that I was taking revenge on them for some reason,

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank openwaters
Guest checked in one day prior to original reservation request. Guest was advised in advance that cabana #5 was not available and we could accommodate them in Cabana #7 for one night only. When guest check in, they didn't recall until we show them the email. The room they where offered was cabana #7. The rooms have hurricane shutters, so it can appear dark when the shutters are closed.
Cabana #7 does not have kitchen, only coffee station. We do not advertise that it has kitchen.
Guest only pay if they stay.