“Felt like going home” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Costa Maya Beach Cabanas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Costa Maya Beach Cabanas
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Calgary
“Felt like going home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

This was our third time to Costa Maya & we had a great time. We travelled with our two, young adult children and their two friends. All three of our rooms were clean, cool (AC) and quite.
Heather helped set up a three day trip to Tikal, ATM caves, and some extras. Since we'd done this trip before we had her look into drivers for us (once by bus was enough LOL) - excellent way to go! We we're so well looked after by all and the coordination of the individuals involved was amazing.
Caye Caulker & Costa Maya are a "go slow" vacation - that's what we wanted, expected and received. So what if something doesn't start on time, or if a room isn't cleaned to our North American standards - it's all part of the Belizean flavor. Everything was just fine by us & we were treated as family by Heather, Adela & the whole Rosedo family (too many to list individually - LOL).
Definitely going back!! Thank-you all very much - and our kids and their friends want to go back as well!

• Stayed February 2010
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

I am just back from 3 weeks on Caye Caulker with my partner. We stayed at Costa Maya and had a great experience. We had room 10 for the first 2 nights and stayed the rest of the time in room 6. Both rooms were recently renovated and were in very good shape. Everything was in good repair. The rooms were clean and were cleaned daily. Heather and Adela were helpful and friendly. We had friends come to the island for a couple of days who stayed in room 9 and were very happy with it.

Reading some of these reviews I don't recognize the place they are writing about. What they describe is totally at odds with our experience.

This is not a 5 star place. But if you want 5 star you shouldn't be coming to Caye Caulker.

Costa Maya offers a very good place to stay for tremendous value.

We have been on Caye Caulker 6 times and stayed in a number of places. Costa Maya is the first place we came back to for a second stay (we last stayed here in 2007).

We will be back again!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

Heather has an excuse for everything. She is the only rude Canadian I've ever met. She yells at her Belizean staff and that is NOT OK. The room was small and in disrepair. We left after a day. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CMBCCayeCaulker, Manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
We have a great staff at Costa Maya and Tsunami Adventures, everyone has been working here for over 5 years. We have had casual workers for Sundays. I recall getting angry with the lady, as she had decided to bring her daughter, her daughter's friend and her daughter's boyfriend to clean the room. I was very upset with them, because it was unacceptable.
Costa Maya is a beachfront location with only 6 rooms now, when these guests stayed in Dec of 2009, we just had a fire Nov 23rd that started in the property behind us. It was a mess and a lot of cleanup. The room that this guest stayed in is one of our smaller rooms. A standard size room with a double size bed, TV, night stand, table with chairs, private bathroom with hot water shower and there is a coffee station with fridge, coffee maker. These rooms are air conditioned. There is a patio, where the guest can relax on a chair and enjoy the breeze. These rooms have wood finish interior and the bathroom is fully tiled with white tile. The windows are white aluminum louvered, when they are completely shut they are hurricane proof. They are very popular in Belize and almost every house has them.
I think this person was upset with their choice and had to find fault. There is a hotel on this island for everyone. Price, location etc.....Everyone knows everyone and most people are related. We plan to rebuild soon, when we do, we hope you come back. These rooms are going to be fully concrete and air conditioned, plus our new permanent Sunday staff is a mature responsible and reliable person, and we are proud to have her as part of our team.
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

When we stayed at Costa Maya we soon realized that the handful of bad reviews were wrote by people that are spoiled rotten cry babies and would probably complain if they were hung with a new rope, because there is not anything that manage wouldn't do for you here to make your stay as good as they possibly could. Loosen up you up tights or stay home at a 5 star in your own country. We have stayed a number of places on Caulker but always try to stay here, for the location, hospitality, and service. They are extremely helpful at putting together your tours for you and as far as I'm concerned they employ some of the best guides on the island. If I could give a first timer to Caye Caulker one piece of advise, it would be to pay no mind to those negitive reviews from those negitive minded travellers who should have never strayed away from their 5 star resorts.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
West Columbia, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2009

Moved to this hotel because it's location was quiet for the north end of the island and it had A/C. If the A/C had worked. Woke up early and had to wait for the maintenance person to arrive to report the problem. Then I had to wait for the desk person, then the owner. Was told they would simply change rooms by the owner but then the desk person said the owner changed his mind and would we wait. Fortuately she then volunteered to give us our money back for the second night and we left, but I still feel ripped for not have the A/C to work in the first place. In general we were not treated with much respect. They are renovating the rooms but I don't forsee a change in attitude.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CMBCCayeCaulker, owner/manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, 13 December 2009
After guest had chose the room. I was at the back and notice the guest on the couch taking apart the air conditioner. When I asked him, what is he doing, he said he wanted to check it? The AC was working great. The next morning, when we arrived at the schedule time of the office opening of 8am, he was furious that the AC was not working. We offered his wife a full refund and a upgrade to another room, they turned it down. Our Air Conditioning repair man, said that the electronics inside had been knocked out, probably, when the guest was checking it, for some unknown reason. I think he wanted to make sure the filter was clean.
Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

Let me first just say that my husband and I love Belize-the people, the beautful scenery, everything!
After 4 adventure packed days staying in a lovely jungle lodge, we left for Caye Caulker. When we arrived at Costa Maya, everything seemed okay at first...until we got to the room. Now we were traveling on a budget and perfectly fine with bare bones accomodations. Let me just list what we did not like about the Costa Maya:
1. Massive cockroach infestation. Not like 3 or 4 roaches....more like 10-20 just in the living room.
2. Dirty mattress leaned up against the wall in the bedroom for no good reason.
3. Water smelled like sewage and signs posted not the drink from the tap...only place on the whole island I noticed this...disgusting for a shower.
4. Rude staff.
We found alternate accomodations for the remainder of our stay and it was amazing! (see my review for Seaside cabanas).
Our last day on Belize we wanted to snorkel, so we went to book a trip through our hotel and the only place that was going that day was tsunami tours. We were a bit hesitant due to our experience at costa maya, but we went anyway. First of all, the tour started an hour late, and they didn't care at all. They packed about 15 people onto a tiny boat and took off. It was really rough out that day, and literally about 5 minutes into the boat ride I started to feel seasick and asked if I could be taken back. For some reason, the tour guide became absolutely irate at my question, cursed at me and told me I was ruining the tour. He was absolutely not going to take me back under any circumstances even though we were just minutes from the shore. Luckily, I was able to hop on a passing water taxi and take it back.

So I was on the boat for a total of like 10 minutes and did not snorkel. When I went back to the hotel we were staying at I told them what happened. They said I should not be charged for that and that they would call tsunami to let them know. Well apparently the girl from our hotel called tsumani and got cussed out as well for saying we should not pay for the tour. We ended up being forced to pay for the tour. The owner of Seaside cabanas said this would have never happened any place else and they will never work with that tour company again.

Heather, the owner of costa maya/tsunami tours is an extremely angry and rude person for some reason even though she lives in paradise. We want to make sure everyone on here listens to the warnings about this place (which we did not do), and find another place to stay and do business. I am pretty sure this is about the only place in Belize you will find rude people and bad service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pinkstons
CMBCCayeCaulker, Manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Had the guest showed their displeasure with the room, a full refund would of been offered as per owner policy. You only pay for the first night, you are not held to your room if it turns out not for you. The guest check out and said they where leaving the island. I personally never met her, this is what my worker said. The next day we had a snorkeling trip and we received a booking from Seaside Cabanas. The lady got seasick and it ruined her trip. We offered seasick tablets and she refused but insisted the trip return. No one else wanted to go back except her, we waited for another boat to pass to take her back. When she got back she refused to pay Seaside and in turn pay us. It turned out to be the same lady that had stayed the one night with us. The guide told us what happen and we asked others on the trip and they didn't have to many favorable things to say about this lady. Cabana 6 has been renovated, a huge deck and a very popular unit. All new inside and the view is amazing.
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

Although the staff was very friendly, the accommodations left much to be desired. I did not go into this trip with big expectations for our lodging. We were going for the location, not the hotel. However, I was sorely disappointed in Costa Maya. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting. We stayed three nights and the shower didn’t drain. On the second night, my husband took a plunger to the shower drain and that helped, but still…As a female traveler, I can put up with a lot, but I would never recommend Costa Maya. The complementary canoes and bikes were a great asset, but everything had to be returned by 6, and the bikes were mediocre at best. We were going for budget prices, but I wish I would have splurged a bit and stayed at a nicer place. Trust me, it’s worth it to spend a little more and get a whole lot more bang for your buck.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TennesseeGrace
CMBCCayeCaulker, manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, 18 August 2009
I only meet the guest once, at check in.
Cabana six is the oldest unit and is under renovations. There is no water system on Caye Caulker, we depend on well water, that sometimes smell like sulphur.
Regarding the Snorkeling Tour
Seasickness can ruin a trip. We highly recommend seasick tablets and have them onboard the boat. We did not charge the guest, as we received the booking from the hotel, they stayed at.
We left later than usual because of all the people booking last minute, but we make up the time on the end of the tour. There is over 15 snorkeling shops on the Caye and all sent trips out. The guest was the only complain we receive out of 500 plus people sent out snorkeling this summer. We are very sorry that guest did not enjoy the trip due to seasickness.