“Great Location”

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
San Ignacio, Belize
“Great Location”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Very nice set up on the water. options for a cabana or traditional room. Pricing is Ok for area typically US$75-80 for water front rooms with balcony. Staff is very attentive and keep the grounds clean and fresh. Beach bar is basic but nice place to just sit and relax off the regular path. Rooms are updated on the front side of hotel. I stayed in a rear unit and the flooring was a bit old and peeling up. Beds are hard! We brought our own pillows on second trip here. Overall decent place to stay but a bit pricey for the island without a pool. You might be able to negotiate if you call in advance and it is not IN SEASON.

Room Tip: Try to get 2nd floor facing water. Great view, big balcony and only 1 flight of stairs to trip up wh...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My sister and I saw some of the reviews here and we wrote up a list of potential properties to stay, Popeye's wasn't on it. Mainly because of the lack of recent reviews, mixed reviews, and lack of connecting information on TripAdvisor to the hotel itself.

However, when we stepped off the Caye Caulker water taxi, the owner of Popeye's was standing on the dock, inquiring if anyone was looking for a place to stay. He said he would show us the rooms he had available and we could decide if we wanted to stay there or not. Starting at $45US, it sounded right for our budget.

We started with looking at the $45 cabana that was available, and a pair of guys seemed to have already set claim to it so they invited us upstairs to look at some of the more traditional 'rooms'. We viewed a room on the second floor first, that was gorgeous with a queen bed and a couch facing the window that overlooks the sunrise. However, they were asking $75 for that one, so we passed. They then showed us a room for which they were asking $50, but it was on the back side of the building, not facing the water, so we asked if they had something else. Christina guided us up to the top floor, where we ended up deciding on room 20. The accommodations were nicely sized, and they had clearly made some updates but some other things were...a little less than up to date. However, we had a refrigerator, a bar, a lovely armoire and a great view of the water. For $65 a night, the price was right..not to mention we were in the 'penthouse' and didn't have neighbors the first night so we had the balcony all to ourselves.

The next day we were scheduled to go snorkeling and depart, but my sister became ill and canceled snorkeling, so we decided to stay another night so she could rest all day while I went on the trip. The owners and staff were very accommodating, getting me salt for her to gargle, directing me where I could find some meds, and not to mention that they had coffee set up very early in their little waterfront bar so you could enjoy some java at sunrise (it was cloudy our first day, so I just hung out anyway). The staff were extremely solicitous and nice and asked if they could do anything to help her feel better, so I was comfortable knowing that if she had any needs while I was away they would be tended to.

I had an issue come up where my debit card was blocked (although the bank claimed that it wasn't) for use because I didn't report travelling. I was able to use the owner's cell phone to call the (non)toll free number and reimburse him with cash. He was very understanding about the whole thing and wanted to make sure I enjoyed my trip. Additionally, since they are TropicAir agents, we were able to book my sister's flight back to Belize City from Punta Gorda (where we are travelling next) there and not have to worry about it later, so that was great as well.

Let's see, a quick run-down of the accommodations:

The bed was nice, if average. I have noted that hotels in Belize don't provide blankets...odd for me, coming from MN, but I'm adjusting. We probably would have liked more pillows, but it wasn't worth complaining about.

The rooms are all accessed by sliding glass doors, and ours didn't lock at first. They attempted to fix it immediately, then offered to move us to the room next door so we didn't have to wait (we didn't want to leave our valuables ...ahem, laptop.... in an unlocked room). However, we didn't like it as much as the one we had originally chosen. We ended up asking them to lock the laptop in the office and leaving the rest of our belongings in the room, which they locked after fixing the door. We wandered off and explored the Caye, and were able to claim our belongings and lock the door upon our return.

There was an A/C unit in the room, but because of my sister's illness we decided not to have it on...besides, there are no blankets so it's uncomfortable.

If we were staying for longer than two nights, we would have taken better advantage of the fridge and bar provided. They did furnish us with a bucket of ice upon request so we had a few cocktails in the room our first night. I could see that room being pretty fun.

The bathroom wasn't very updated, period. It was a 2-walled shower with a curtain with rusty hooks, and they requested that you don't flush paper...hard to remember every time but we tried. It's small and functional, and that is about it. There seemed to be some work involved in getting hot water, but honestly we didn't really mind since it was mostly tepid and sufficient for washing faces/hands. We let the shower run to get hot.

There was a hot tub downstairs with the cover on, but we were never invited to use it. I'm not sure if it was out of service, but I assumed so. I didn't see any guests using it, either.

We left this morning, and were treated to a beautiful sunrise departure. We enjoyed being further away from the center of 'town' because it did afford a more quiet atmosphere, although folks were noisemaking occasionally. It was a weekend, so that is somewhat to be expected. It was also quite nice to be so close to the taxi so we didn't have to go far with our baggage.

Room Tip: They have 6 rooms that face the waterfront, totally worth the extra $10 for the view. Also, plan to...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank gucci123_13
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

we arrived in Caye Caulker with no reservation and this was not the first place we tried but it was the best. it is located right on the beach and we had the ground floor room with the hot tub literally right outside our door. we also had a hammock to relax on right by the beach - there is a small bar that serves good coffee. The owners are exceptionally welcoming and nice, and will tell you everything you need to know about the tiny island. there is a lively bar called the split 9 literally where the island was split in 2 during a hurricane). Generally, Caye Caulker is well developed for tourists and everyone has good spoken English. We went in August and the weather was perfect. I recommend this place just for the views, the friendliness of the owners and the relative comfort of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed a week and loved it. Great friendly owners that couldn't do enough for you. Close to the centre of town and the taxi boats. Stayed in the Cabana and loved the ocean breeze. Will be coming back again

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank ScottModafferi
Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed at Popeyes for 3 wonderful weeks , Room 19 with the best view for sunrise and sunset over looking the ocean of belize ..wow like a dream , wonderful owners Ron and Cristina and their hard working staff Gilbert the young professional manager , Louis and his son Kevin you guys are the best , You went above and beyond to make my stay enjoyable at your wonderful resort , Real humble people hard working and fantastic attitude ..love you all and miss you lots already , you were home far away from home and I can't wait to see you again soon I hope .

Room Tip: Rooms 19 and 20 best views .
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mikzy
uk
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed here 14 feb 2013 and had a great time , room 16 which had 2 doubles and a single ..it was basic, clean and spacious ..... The location is to die for and they have a beach front cafe serving lovely simple meals . Away from the main street it is a very quiet location..we will be back
ROBIN HOOD

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy L
Central Point, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Popeyes Beach Resort is an excellent place to stay when visiting Caye Caulker. From the moment I arrived and was greeted by Gilbert, my 14 year-old son and I felt welcome and safe. We had a third floor room with a terrific ocean view and a hot shower. The room was clean and spacious with a bar and two bar stools that overlooked the ocean. There was a long counter with a sink, a cafe table with two chairs and two comfy chairs on the front porch. The mattress was sub-par. Down on the beach is a nice diner for a breakfast of french toast or a dinner of lobster kabobs from Pyra Rico, the self proclaimed B.B.Q. King of Caye Caulker, although there are better places to eat nearby..

Our room had one of the better views, but all the rooms looked comfortable and the grounds were clean and safe and patrolled by one tough looking iguana.

Room Tip: Ground floor is good. Ground floor, ocean front looks the best to me.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Caribbean Villas Hotel
Caribbean Villas Hotel
#21 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to Popeyes Beach Resort? Share your experiences!