“Nice place, great location”

Popeyes Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
“Nice place, great location”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The popeyes beach 'resort' is a good value for money hotel close to the water taxi port. No special facilities, just a clean airconed room and hammocks outside. They got a couple of parrots (including 'Popey' of course) on the central court. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hotel was my second choice because my first choice was already closed for the day once I arrived from the water taxi. The local bicycle taxi guy that met me on the dock was nice enough to help me find a room since I had not booked in advance. We got lucky because the owner, Christina, had just rode up on her bike from getting dinner and said she had one room open. She walked me up to the third floor and showed me the room. The room is nice, clean and big with an awesome view of the beach and water. There was no safe in the room and the main door was tricky to get locked. My room had a corner bar, mini fridge, kitchen sink, TV, small bathroom and one very (I mean very) small air conditioner. There was also a floor fan that helped. The A/C unit was unable to cool the entire room, but it was overlooking my bed so I was able to sleep. The WiFi is nice and strong in the room due to a recent upgrade. The bed was ok, but I did not sleep that well. It was a very windy night so the sliding door and windows rattled every so often that woke me up. The blinds that cover the windows don't offer 100% privacy so keep that in mind. the bathroom was very small and the shower did not have great water pressure. I paid for three nights so I stayed to give me some time to tour the island. It is located close to the water taxi and only minutes walk away from restaurants, shops and markets.

Room Tip: Stay on third floor for awesome view of beach and water.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We went to Belize for the first time and stayed on Caye Caulker at Popeye's Beach Resort. They are in a great location, close to restaurants and the water taxis. They had a wide range of rooms. The rooms were clean and spacious and a great value for your money. We stayed in a room with a balcony and water view and loved waking up to the sunrise and going to sleep with the sea breeze. They had rooms that were basic for backpackers, but we are beyond our backpacking days and wanted one of the nicer rooms. Cris and Ron, the owners are super nice and accomondating. Our daughter loved playing with their 3 year old son and the parrots, iguanas, and crabs on their property. The manager, Gilbert was very friendly and helpful-he met us at the watertaxi with a bike to take our luggage to the hotel. They were finishing up renovations to the bar/restaurant on the property when we left. We hope to enjoy that next time. My daughter asks almost daily as to when we are going back! We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The water view rooms are spacious and have amazing sunrise views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank marynstan3
uk
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Just got back from Caye Caulker and had a great time staying in Popeye's Beach Resort .Gilbert was vigilant as ever tending to our needs , it turns out he's quite a good photographer as well.
We stayed in room twelve with a gorgeous sea view and HUGE balcony , i watched the sunrise over the sea every morning it was ..breath taking .
Christina and Ron were perfect hosts and i can't thank them enough for there local knowledge and restaurant recommendations.
When we go back we will be re-booking at Popeye's Beach Resort, a quite location just to the left as you walk off the water taxi jetty.
Robin Hood

Room Tip: Higher sea view rooms are the best ,for just a little extra cash
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Nice clean, basic rooms. Perfect if on a budget, good location, walking distance to everything in the town. Gilbert behind the desk is a very friendly, cheerful guy. Would recommended for Caye Caulker.

• Stayed June 2013
ft. pierce
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We loved it here. Now if you're expecting a Marriott or Ritz then this isn't for you. Again, this place is very affordable and it allows you to spend your money on some other things. If your the spoiled rich type, find something else. But my wife and I found the owners extremely hospitable and the location, location, location to be awesome. Clean, A/C cold (though not needed w/ the ocean breeze). When I go back to Caye Caulker, I'll book @ Popeye's.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd deck, oceanside!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tim j
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Hello- I'm reading the reviews below and I can only think one thing, something dramatic happen in the past month since they were written or someone who hadn't actually stayed there wrote them because I just returned and well... there is no beach bar, it is a boarded up run down spot that was never once open the entire time I was there. The jacuzzi- broken, and had been for awhile it seems, it was empty when we arrived and apparently a part was missing that you can't get in Belize. The swimming dock- well that is run down and broken as well. In fact, it was blocked off and you weren't supposed to out on it. I expressed my dismay to the manager, Gilbert, and said the website clearly is outdated and advertises a much different thing... he agreeed and said i didn't make the site. I was shocked when he agreed and then refused to also do anything in regards to refunding me for the fact that what they advertise is not correct. He went out with a hammer and nails and fixed some of the boards but honestly- I didn't trust the dock since it was previously blocked off and he only put a few more nails in a couple of boards. I met tons of other people that were paying about the same price staying at nicer places, this place was not worth the money, if they offered what the website said they do it would be fine but they don't. Who ever own this clearly has lost interest in maintaining the property which is a ashame because its in a nice location. The rooms were clean and fine but in terms of cost... they need to readjust their pricing because $65 a night is not worth it at all and the fact that the manager agreed the site shows pictures that don't reflect the current state of the hotel or amenities was pretty frustrating.

Room Tip: You can get much better deals and nicer places on Caye Caulker than at Popeyes.... overpriced based...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie C
PopeyesBeach, Manager at Popeyes Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding.She was advised in advance that certain amenities would not be available during her stay. Bar and dock were closed after the busy Easter season for renovations which are usually best done this time of the year.
She was upgraded to an Oceanfront room with a private balcony,private hammock ,refrigerator and AC which for the price she paid was a bargain.
Clearly , we could not make her happy and we do regret that.
We always do our best to make our guests stay with us enjoyable as you can read from all other reviews which reflect our goal of providing our guests a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us.Our guest's satisfaction is our number one priority.
Gilbert

#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Caribbean Villas Hotel
Caribbean Villas Hotel
#21 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to Popeyes Beach Resort? Share your experiences!