“Cheap accomodation, great people”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Bella's Backpackers
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed in a private dorm room with my friend. We had a double bunk and the room was a good size for the 2 of us. There was a fan and windows that opened. There was a hammock hanging inside but we put our recently purchased one up instead as it was nice and clean!

I would say this is not the cleanest hostel I have stayed in. The housekeepers do a good job everyday but the building itself is in need of some TLC. Didnt have any roaches in my room; only place I saw them was in the bathroom in the middle of the night. There are 2 adorable hostel dewlling dogs- if your an animal person they are the cutest things:)

Good value for the cost....(12.50 US) and the owner is a really nuce guy, people who stay there were super chill, never any noise at night. Usually people are just hanging out watching TV or chatting. I probably wouldnt choose to stay there again but overall my experience there was alright.

Room Tip: I would suggest taking a non private room- might be cooler and less humid
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Difficult review. People staying there were nice. And the free canoes were a big bonus if you plan to use them. Otherwise it's a quite shabby place, but not a horrendous hostel for the price.

The mattresses and pillows need replacing, smelly with no support left. The kitchen was well stocked but a bit dirty (cockroaches hiding around the place). Cockroaches in bathroom too.

And the little kid that was intent on throwing our stuff around the room upon our arrival was very annoying. He was cute to start, but he needed entertaining and the staff didn't seemed to care as he threw our belongings off the balcony.

Really cute dogs and cats about the place though, the puppy was great!

Bellas is cheap but you get what you pay for basically.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Arrived here in the evening with six very tired girls and we had a guy waiting at the docks for us to take us to the hostel, obviously my directions were incorrect so we were thankful for the owner sorting that out for us. We had the big dorm room downstairs with simple bunk beds, had no complaints. Nice, clean place, even the bathrooms (surprised given how cheap it was to stay here!). Also you can use the canoes and bikes for free. There's communal laptops in the common room, but the wifi works well (with seven girls glued to their phones, it'd better do!) So beautiful in the back, you can watch the sunset there and maybe even catch a glimpse of the local crocodiles! Jeff the owner is an absolutely lovely guy, he always endeavoured to help us out, even came to our rescue when one of the girls rammed her bike into one of the stalls on the main road causing a bit of damage...!
You've got the famous Split a five minute walk away and plenty of places to eat nearby! The place has a great vibe and its really easy to get to know everyone! Also loved the hammocks outside, gives the place a nice touch! Definitely staying here next time I'm in Caye Caulker!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank ja_bynx
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I enjoyed my time at Bella's! I was recruited by a man at the dock who used the magic word "hostel" while everybody else was saying "hotel". The price seemed good enough, so I followed. I found out also that I could pitch a tent for less, which gave me privacy and a bit of quiet. The outdoor common space is a few hammocks and some picnic tables. I would recommend checking it out.

Room Tip: If you are camping, they charge $5 per TENT...or at least that's what they did while I was there...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2013

bella's is a hostel with few toilets and luxuries, but if you like to go to a cabin in the woods and share a good time with your friends, you will love this place. it is original, it's different, and i realized there that what really matters in a hostel is not the facilities, but the vibe. people can write comparsions with different places, what it has, what it doesn't have, but what matters is the good time essence. forget the luxuries, forget the privacy, meet people and have fun. this is what bella's is about. simple place to stay and have a good time!
by the way, the best thing is the free canoe you can borrow, perfect!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Well, I've been on the road now for 7-8 months and I would put this place on the top of my list. The building itself isn't a godsend, but for the price it was exactly what i wanted! I was there over easter and the island was packed. Despite the hostel sleeping people on the floor the place had an amazingly chilled vibe. I was camping in a tent for about $7 US (two or three in the tent is the same price/ also there are hammock options ) and for this I could afford to 'backpack' in an expensive paradise.

The best thing about this place is the sharing atmosphere, if you don't like to share.... not your place. The hostel has two (three seat) canoes and bikes for anyone to use (it is note worthy that the rental price for one hour elsewhere was what i paid to stay). The young guy who run's the place, Jeff, seems to be the most relaxed person in the world. He won't chase you around or cramp your style, but will always help you out like a mate (and not like your landlord).

I used the kitchen the whole time I was there (about 8 days) as the prices on the island aren't so great. I would go fishing in the canoes or spear fishing (with the spear gun that was lent to me there) and I could use the stoves to fry or the oven to bake.
- Also if I came back from my expeditions empty handed the guys running the place would offer me a bit of crab/ fish and if your into it, a smoke.

I met some great people here! -and as helpful as it is to talk about a hostel's facilities - The people make the place- so thanks fellow travelers that found themselves in Bella's and thanks Jeff!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This place is pretty chaotic. The staff are hardly ever around to assist or even check people in, though when they are they're helpful and courteous. The lay out is terrible. The kitchen/lounge/party area is in between the two dorms and the music is loud until late (you can't turn it down, I asked). The two bathrooms are inside the dorms so between drunk people banging in and out, turning lights on and leaving the door open to let in all the noise, don't expect much sleep. The kitchen is decent, bit lacking in space and equipment. Wifi is not very good but they do provide a communal laptop. The beds smell of damp and are pretty average, as is general cleanliness. Toilet paper took a day to be replenished and the bathrooms could use a good scrub. The worst part for me was the smoking policy - people even smoke in bed! Disgusting. If you're a partier, this is for you. If not, try somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo