“My paradise.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Bella's Backpackers
Helsinki, Finland
“My paradise.”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I never planned on staying on Caye Caulker for a long time.
I accidentally came to Bella's by word of mouth.
Luckily there were two beds available.

I immediately knew I was going to stay.
For a while.
Which ended up being two months.

The hostel is one of the cosiest I´ve stayed in.
It´s communal.
People hang out.
Sit on the porch all day.
Read books in the hammocks.
Talk travel stories.
Play dominoes.
Makes pizzas together.
Party.
Drink beers.
Jam.
And just enjoy each others company.
I made life long friends at this place.
And learned a lot about life.
I´ll never forget the discussions about life with Sandy, 79-years old.
And her cooking us all "kids" homemade dinners.

Nicole & Jeff are the ones who make the hostel.
The hosts of the show.
I think one of the reasons I ended up staying was because of them.
They made me feel at home.
And Jezih, Jarvis, Luna and of course Jasper. <3
They really take care of guests.
Arrange communal dinners.
And give good tips on where to go.

If you long for privacy.
Amazing sunsets.
And ocean breeze.
Get the tower room.
It´s the best kept secret.

If you long for adventure.
You can borrow the hostel bikes.
And kayaks.
For free.
Just don´t go when it´s too windy.
By yourself.
And drift out.
It might be impossible to get back.

Bike around the island.
By the little paths.
See the iguanas and find the hidden spots.
I did.

I truly miss this place.
The rooms are clean.
People are great.
The kitchen has everything you need.
You´re well taken care of.
And gah what can I say.
I will return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Annikateresa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I came to caye caulker before and wanted to try something different. I loved Bella's ! The rooms were spacious and the floors were swept from sand everyday. There are canoes and bikes available to use for free. Wifi was great, nice hammocks, clean washrooms. I don't know what else more I would have wanted or needed?

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Bella's and got our beds in the downstairs dorm right away. The staff was nice and the people staying at the hostel were all very friendly. The bathrooms are clean enough, as are the dorms and beds. The best part is that they offer free canoes out back as well as a dock and bicycles to ride around the island. It was great because they also had a community kitchen and a laptop. Deck is great, and the lawn has lots of seating and hammocks. We were happy our whole stay and the owners are good down to earth people. Stay in the crows nest if you can! It's a pretty amazing panoramic view!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Beebopper246
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I had been traveling for 5 months and Bella's is definitely one of the best hostels I've been to. I slept there 4 nights - 2 in the camping site and 2 in the dorms.
The mood and the atmosphere are awsame, especialy for solo travelers, the kitchen is well equiped and the dorms and the toilet are clean.
I do not recomend to camp over there becuase the nieghboors have chickens and roosters that will wake you up at 04:00.
Have fun and do not forget to bring mosquito repellent

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We should have read trip advisors reviews before staying here, but it was the first cheap hostel we found on the island.

I wish we would have found Pause as it sounds like the owner there is lovely. The people running bellas are the most unfriendliests hosts we have had on our whole trip. They just take your money and scowl at you like youre inconveniencing them (although we were the lowest maintenance guests they could have had, didnt complain, spent most of our time away from the hostel, and didnt even ask for fresh sheets even though we stayed there 5 nights and no one offered us anything or asked if we were good.

The worst part of my stay here was on the last day, i was sitting on their porch( the only place the wifi works and they dont even say hi or smile at you).. the little kid started hitting his dog in the face repeatedly, i put my hand over the dog to protect it and told him to stop and be nice(as he continued to hit my hand)... the dad saw this and yelled something at the kid so the kid took off, but he had obviously learned this abusive behavior from his dad because a few minutes later, when a little dog came up tried to mate with that dog, he came out and hit it across the head too. I was horrified and glad to be leaving this awful place.

In my whole 2 weeks in belize i have not felt as awful as i did at bellas. Caye caulker is a nice location but i think because there are so many tourists that go there, people treat you(and their pets) horribly and still get business. The rest of the country has been very friendly. Beach is way nicer in placencia and the people here are friendly and happy to have your business. If you do visit caye caulker dont waste your money at bellas dog beaters, also the beds were the most uncomfortable of all the hostels ive stayed in here, and the shower water smelled like sewage. Do your self a favor and make a beeline for placencia!

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank ja654321
CCBellasbackpackers, Manager at Bella's Backpackers, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
I'm sorry for what you saw here. But we are not animal abusers here, we are the opposite, we are dog lovers. But during the time you were here, out of the 7 dogs that you have seen in the yard only one was ours. SHE was in heat. The 6+ dogs you have seen were not ours but boy dogs trying to mate with our puppy. (Who is only 7 months old and not ready to have pups). On Caye Caulker there are dogs all over the island, all owned and supposed to be tied, which they are not. So yes, all day for about 2 weeks we were chasing all the boy dogs in the neighborhood to protect our puppy, Luna. And even that was just chasing them not hurting them. As for the kid, he's 4 years old. He's still learning how to play with animals, and yes little boys play rough sometimes. And again I do apologize for what you think you saw. But honestly the only way to not abuse animals is to keep them apart so they DO NOT mate. So no more unwanted puppies are born on this small island, which is a big problem here.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Bella's was a relaxed and friendly place to stay, sociable and a nice crowd of travellers.
I would recommend staying in the upstairs dorm if you can rather than the downstairs, we stayed in both and found the upstairs to be much lighter and cleaner.
Staff were friendly enough (if you can find them/ work out who they are!) and very laidback...matching the general vibe of Caye Caulker.
It's a good spot if you want to meet nice people in a chilled environment, if you want to party go to Dirty McNasty's next door!

Room Tip: Try and get a bed in the upstairs dorm, the best room is right at the very top. Amazing view of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I would recommend this place definately. Bella's building and rooms are pretty basic but the atmosphere is just great. Everyone hang out in the kitchen and porch hammocks. This place is perfect for solo travellers because you'll get to know everyone there. The back pier is nice and calm and you can take the kayaks anytime. there were free bikes too but they were a little broken all.

Bella's guest's age were closer to 30 than 20 so the vibe wasn't exhausting "springbreak drinking" (like in the hostel Dirty McNasty next door) but more chillax relaxing and having fun. Dorms seemed calm and quite in the evenings even though guests are hanging out in the kitchen area until late. and no loud music after twelve.

They have a few private rooms on the yard cottages and three privates in the tower. And three mixed dorms. You can also camp with a tent or sleep in the hammocks, though some of the hammock sleepers had problems with the sand flies.

Sheets provided but no towels. They don't take reservations but there is most of the time vacancy if you go early in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for the tower room. It's the most amazing room for the price of about 17USD. Three windows t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo