“Summer Camp, But Better” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Long Caye Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glovers Reef Atoll
Long Caye Resort
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, GA
“Summer Camp, But Better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

This place was fantastic and I can't wait to go back. Slickrock/Long Caye has knowledgeable guides, friendly staff -- everyone including the groundskeeper and the kitchen staff, fantastic food, a variety of activity options every day, quality equipment, a beautiful island. And they send you all the information you could possibly need to prepare for your trip. Heed their advice; they know what they are talking about, and you will enjoy yourself more for it.

You can play as long or as hard as you want, or you can take it easy in a hammock. Non-hammock options include snorkeling, kayaking, kiteboarding, windsurfing, exploring the small island and its tide pools, SUP, paddle/kayak surfing, volleyball, diving with the neighboring dive shop (also very friendly), etc. -- but do bear in mind you are outside, and all activities are weather-dependent. Plan to be flexible as wind conditions may change plans from hour to hour. On our trip, for instance, repeated "northers" limited the kayaking, surfing, and SUP options. However, the resourceful staff always had a variety of good activities ready to go. Wind just died? Quick, let's go kayaking! Wind just picked up? You can snorkel the lee side of the island. Don't know how to windsurf? They will teach you. What an awesome concept! Just go with the flow and you will have a great time.

Like so many others, I was a little nervous about being able to sleep in a palapa hut with no AC, but I slept great, to the sound of the wind in the palapa roof and the waves on the shore. One night we had 30 mph winds and rain, and we still slept like logs. The shower/bathroom facilities were surely no rivals for the San Pedro AI's (not that anybody on this trip would want to stay in one), but were pretty swank compared to primitive camping or even some of the more remote US National Parks. As for the activity level, I do recommend having some level of fitness, and a high level of ability to go with the flow. This place is not for everyone -- and that's not a bad thing!

You may wonder at the price of the trip, which is comparable to staying in an all-inclusive, full-service hotel. But once you're there you will see that it's absolutely reasonable. The level of effort and service, the attention to detail, the quality of equipment, etc. is impressive, plus gas is expensive and it's a long boat ride to get out to the atoll.

Like I said, though, I can't wait to go back. We've already been working to identify friends to bring with us. Thanks, Slickrock!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Katlanta

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Slickrock Rocks! We just got back this past week and my boys cannot stop talking about it.
It's just like going to camp! We spent our days playing...surf kayaking, snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, windsurfing, stand up paddleboarding, kite surfing, hammock surfing, etc. In the evening, there is volleyball, appetizers, and Mario games (Mario being a real human being who gets all kinds of fun games giong)board games.
The great thing about the whole experience is there are NO surprises. The island is a well run machine. When you sign up, they will send you daily itineraries (weather dependent), the menu for the week, and everything else you need to know.
The island is rustic! Do not expect to be able to charge your tech stuff quickly (or at all in some cases). The huts are basic - one small light, no bathroom, platform bed with a cushy mat. However, it was perfect. We stayed in #11 and it was very private, lots of vegetation all around.
There is a shower area. It's very clean but we never had warm water. There are two types of restrooms - sort of outhouse style. One is for pee, one is for the other and is a composting toilet.
The people (guides) there were all friendly, knowledgeable and fun to be around.
We cannot say enough about what a great experience we had! My boys want to go back NOW.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank d22randy
SlickrockAdventures, Owner at Long Caye Resort, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Wow! Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is gratifying to know that you and your boys loved your week on the island --- including the unusual accommodations --- and that there were no surprises. We go to great lengths on our website and in talking directly with prospective customers to help them understand the unique nature of our resort. We've even coined a phrase to describe the experience -- "Five Star Camping". Glad the reality matched your expectations. -- Franklin
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I spent 6 days and 5 nights on this glorious island. I will make this short and sweet. If you do not like to camp, don't go. If you need room service, don't go. But if you want to see nature in all of its glory...GO! The snorkeling is out of this world...I have been to many places in the caribbean. Aruba, Turks and Caicos, Cozumel, Bahamas, the Keys....nothing compares to the wild life and coral at Grover's reef, a wildlife reserve. Slickrock is top notch. The food was so great, the people were just lovely, and the adventures were unforgettable. No TV, no phone (gasp) no e-mail, computers...just the waves, wind and relaxation.

Room Tip: Hmmm, they are wooden cabins all on the ocean. Don't know which one would be better.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank PSSBella
x
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

WHY DID WE CHOOSE GLOVERS REEF ATOLL WITH SLICKROCK?

We were looking for a snorkel/kayak vacation and learned that the Barrier Reef in Belize was unmatched. We researched all of the available options and when we ran across Slickrock we were delighted because they offered not only snorkeling and kayaking, but windsurfing, kite sailing, surf kayaking, surfing, fishing, world class diving, SUP, and more! And all on a private island in the middle of the Caribbean!

WHY WOULD WE GO BACK TO SLICKROCK?

The experience exceeded our expectations on every level. The activities, the guides, the hosts, the cooks, the entire staff, and the experience were top notch. The snorkeling was the best we've ever experienced with octopus, eels, lobster, and the most abundant and beautiful fish we've ever seen. The trip was as personalized or group oriented as you chose. What we most enjoyed was that we could try anything we wanted, for as long as we wanted, get help if we wanted, refine it on our own if we wanted, be with the group if we wanted, have a personal activity if we wanted. The selection of activities and the pace were ours to choose. We would highly recommend this trip to all of our adventurous friends. The guides are excellent on and off the water. They are knowledgeable about the equipment, safety, instruction, marine life, history, geology, ecology, etc. The couldn't have done more to make sure we were well taken care of. The cooks prepared a wide variety of local favorites that were excellent and fresh. The cabanas are basic, with a beautiful setting on the water's edge. However, we spent almost no time at the cabana as we were always in/on the water. The trip was worth every penny and we'd do it again in a heart beat!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank debilouadventures
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

Slickrock Adventures' Long Caye trip was fantastic! Location, activities, food, guides/instruction, and hospitality were all wonderful! We spent much of our time kayaking, snorkeling and just kicking back on this idyllic island getaway. We were new to snorkeling and the instruction and guiding was excellent. Our guides were incredibly knowledgeable about the reefs and their inhabitants, we could not get enough! The life style and facilities are simple in the most positive way.....no distractions from the beauty of our surroundings. Everything was so well organized and fluid. we are already planning our return trip! Thank you Lucy, Mark, MJ, Meg, Luis, Ivor, and the whole Slickrock crew!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

If you are only comfotable at a five star hotel, please stay at one, this is not for you! But, if you love total seclusion, no cell phone, no internet, and tons of outdoor fun, then go to Glovers Reef w/Slickrock. The island is just so beautiful! The cabins, restrooms, and showers were very
very clean, and much nicer then I expected. The diving is completely amazing! Dove w
turtles, baracuda, nurse sharks, stingray, lion fish, parrot fish, scorpion fish, and many, many more. The cabin was right on the water, and I totally loved being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. Lucy and Gerrish are wonderful hosts. The staff is always helpful.
If you want to be totally comfortable, and enjoy your trip, be properly prepared! READ everything
that they send! They took the time to write it for a reason.
And, diet before you go, because you will gain at least 5 pounds. All food is prepared from scratch, and is incredibly delicious. I would go back, just to eat the food!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nemosgirl
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

I just returned from a full week at Slickrock's Long Caye Resort and it was absolutely perfect. Even a day of pretty bad weather couldn't ruin this island for me.

I admit to being a little nervous before the trip. Seven days without "real" plumbing, no AC, lots of tropical critters, and figuring out how to get back into a kayak from the middle of the ocean were all worries for me but after the first 24 hours, I realized that I worried for nothing. The plumbing is totally fine, the breeze in my cabana (number 7) was enough that most nights I needed to use the fleece blanket and the critters were totally cute and there were really NO BUGS! Kayak orientation was difficult (thank you to our guide Carlos for his patience with me and my constant tipping over) but I was able to do it eventually and then found out that I had a variety of kayaks to choose from besides the standard sea kayak and those were easier to get back into. (Versa boards and the Maui ocean kayaks.)

My husband and I spent almost all of our time snorkeling (twice a day, every day!) and barely took advantage of the other activities but we had an amazing time. I hope that we can get back to the island so we can branch out and do some windsurfing, surf kayaking, and maybe even the diving. The tide pool walk on the rainy/windy day that substituted for the "normal" activity was one of the best parts of our trip -- we spotted four octopus on the wall and a handful of eels too. Amazing stuff!

The staff was FANTASTIC. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to snorkel without them on future trips. They were so knowledgeable about everything in the ocean and I really feel like I learned a lot of this trip thanks to them. They were all extremely personable and in my opinion, went over and above to be friendly to the guests, by eating meals and playing games with us when they probably didn't have to.

The wildlife (birds and fish) are amazing. The snorkeling got better ever day we were there as the winds died down and the visibility improved. We did a two hour drift snorkel on our last full day and saw sharks, multiple types of huge rays, squid, a massive moray eel, a crazy big spiny lobster and too many fish to name. That swim alone was worth the trip to Belize.

All of the food was delicious but I was especially fond of the fresh cookies every day at lunch and the homemade punch for happy hour each night.

Your days are structured loosely on the island and it's a good mix of busy and not busy and it's all very low pressure. You decide at breakfast which activity you want to do at nine AM and then decide at lunch what you want to do in the afternoon. Guides were flexible about the activities too and would switch locations for snorkels if there was a request for it. They were really very good about keeping the groups small (usually 5 or fewer in a group) and were really attuned to our safety and comfort. We had some tricky wind and currents to deal with but they always had a boogie board available so people could rest if they needed to and once they even added a fixed rope to help swimmers make it past a tricky current getting back to land after a snorkel from the beach. I don't consider myself a strong swimmer and I never once felt nervous or at risk in anything that we did -- even when we swam out to The Wall.

I'm a pretty terrible kayaker -- this trip was my first experience with kayaks but I was able to do what I needed to. If you are like me, just pack your patience and rely on your endurance and try to look at the pretty scenery while you're paddling instead of worrying about being slow (it took me a day or so to figure that part out!) The guides will not abandon you and they'll help you feel good about what you're accomplishing.

We had a range of ages on our trip -- the youngest person was 11 and I'm not sure how old the oldest was -- but everybody seemed to be having a great time and finding their own best way to pass the time. Multiple guests told me during the week that this was their best ever vacation. We were all sad to be leaving on Saturday.

I'm quite sure that we'll be returning to the island someday and I strongly encourage anybody who is considering this trip to take the plunge and do it. It took us a few years to commit to the trip because the logistics are tricky but they are absolutely, positively worth it.

Other tips: stick with the packing list and you'll be fine! We added extra stuff that we didn't need. Bring as much quick-dry/tech fabric as you can and leave most cotton at home. The other reviewer who suggested Ziploc bags was smart -- that's a great tip! We bought the full body dive skins but probably didn't need them -- we never got cold but lots of other swimmers did find the long snorkels chilly. I ended up wearing running tights and a long sleeved rash guard most days and I liked that better than the dive skin with the zipper up the front. We got the neoprene booties and they were awesome and totally worth it. If you can bring a mesh bag to carry stuff in around the island, you'll probably be happy.

Room Tip: Cabin 7 was near the showers and not super far from the restrooms. It had a good breeze most nights...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in South Water Caye
Thatch Caye Resort
Thatch Caye Resort
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay

Been to Long Caye Resort? Share your experiences!