“This place is AMAZING!!!”
Review of Long Caye Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glovers Reef Atoll
Long Caye Resort
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

As a solo female traveler, who also happens to be a vegetarian, I was a bit uncertain what to expect before I got to the island, but this place is absolutely fantastic! The pictures can't even begin to do it justice- it is truly one of the most beautiful little islands in the world. The staff are super friendly and helpful, and the food is out of this world!! The setup is rustic, but in an inviting and relaxing way. During the day there is always something to do (if you want!) but there's also plenty of time to relax in your hammock on the porch of your cabana and enjoy the beautiful views. Snorkeling, kayaking, SUP, and windsurfing were my activities of choice, and I decided to take advantage of the scuba opportunities with Off the Wall (on the other half of the island), which I would highly recommend too. I'm taking my husband this winter, and I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank hph26

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The folks at Slickrock Adventures know how to do it right! This trip was my best vacation ever – the perfect mix of relaxation and adventure! I loved all of the activities - we snorkeled multiple times a day, sometimes swimming, usually kayaking, did SUP, surf kayaking, tried windsurfing, hiked the island, etc. The marine life is amazing (nurse sharks, turtles, eels, octopus, bioluminescence, beautiful array of fish and coral) and the guides are so knowledgeable about what it is, how to find it, etc. The water is the most beautiful clear blue, perfect for snorkeling, etc.

I like that they get you independent early so that you have the freedom to buddy up with someone and do your own thing if you want to do something different. I also really like that they use wind, solar, etc. as much as possible and that the island is still very natural. I do not want to travel that far to end up somewhere with AC, generators running and a ton of light and sound pollution. It was exactly as I’d hoped to fall asleep hearing the ocean and breeze and to be more in tune with the nature (daylight / weather / climate) and forget all the day to day distractions that come with email, TV & phone. Some people said they didn't sleep well b/c of the noise of the surf and wind but, for me, that's my happy place and I slept like a log both at night and during my after lunch siestas.

Our guide MJ was amazing – hands down, the best guide I’ve ever had in any situation. He is natural teacher and his love of his job comes through in all of the things he does whether it’s teaching you how to SUP, educating you on different fish & corals or even with the games we played in the evenings (island croquet, animal trivia). He manages to balance approachability and camaraderie with professionalism which made me feel encouraged, confident, engaged, informed and entertained. He easily taught me to do things (like SUP, getting in/out of my kayak in open water) that I’d previously struggled with. When he doesn’t know what a creature / plant is, he looks it up & teaches you how to do that too. MJ was a key component to my enjoyment of this trip – his knowledge, passion for his job, attention to safety, professionalism were remarkable.

The food was all delicious - so fresh, varied and nutritious!! I eat a pretty healthy vegetarian / pescetarian diet at home and was able to do the same even on the island (though they certainly had some pretty tasty looking / smelling chicken that made me think twice about my vegetarian stance). Every day there was fresh fruits and veggies, a couple different kinds of protein (e.g. chicken, fish, beans), delicious homemade bread (tortillas, focaccia, fry jack, etc.) and amazing desserts. They certainly had plenty of variety to please an array of palates. I really appreciate the amount of effort and thought that went into the menu creation and food preparation to make healthy, tasty choices available whether one eats meat or not. It was also fun to have tasty treats (like awesome desserts!) that I normally wouldn’t have at home. It was also a nice touch to have the cooler constantly stocked with soda and beer.

You can tell that the staff works very hard to keep the island nice – debris raked up, toilets, sinks, showers and dining area clean, cabanas clean & in good condition, and sports equipment clean, in good condition and easy to locate, etc. I was particularly impressed with the cleanliness and how well stocked (TP, water, wood chips, soap) the toilets and showers were. These are locations where you expect to have to sacrifice a bit when “roughing it” but that was not at all the case here. They are composting toilets, well water for showers and fresh (rain) water for drinking / toothbrushing, etc.

The Belize City end of things also seems really well thought out – the Biltmore Hotel was clean & comfortable with tasty food, a refreshing pool and a nice poolside bar to get to know your travel companions in; the grocery store is a short walk away and so is the guide house / boat dock. The Slickrock staff was super helpful, solicitous, and prompt in every interaction I had with them.

If this sounds like your type of vacation, sign up because you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the room photo I posted with single beds, I was travelling with friends - th...
3  Thank MartySwim
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was a return trip for my wife and myself to Slickrock Adventures, the first to Glovers Reef, all I can say is that the staff and especially Lucy were top notch! I felt from the moment that we arrived that we were treated as special guests. The staff of MJ, Luis, Neri, and Carlos were professional, courteous and very accommodating. Lucy was wonderful, her passion for the island ecosystem, the history of Glovers Reef, her ability to herd a group of diversified individuals to different activities to keep them fascinated and entertained is unequaled!

The activities on Glovers Reef aren't for the Club Med type (please go to Cancun), this is island is for adventurous, free and open minded folks who want to see what the planet used to be like with amazing marine wildlife in an unspoiled setting! In one day I swam next to a 6' Eagle Ray, feed eels, dove with Sea Turtles, Eels and the highlight of the trip swam with Dolphins not 100 yards from my Cabana...and still had time to fish for Bone Fish from the dock and watch an amazing sunset with a Rum Punch drink in hand.

Great time for a 25th wedding anniversary, my wife and I were able to sit back and reconnect and be unplugged from the hassles of the modern world.

Go if you are a fun pig and enjoy adventures, a beautiful setting, great staff and the food - wow!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blakenmary
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just returned from paradise! The folks from Slickrock definitely know how to put together an island getaway. From the minute we got there, Lucy, MJ and the rest of the staff made us feel right at home and part of a family that share a very special secret...Long Caye is fabulous. They have all the beach activities you can imagine...kayaking, surf kayaking, wind surfing, kite surfing, bone fishing, snorkeling, paddle boarding, scuba (just down the beach), and much more. They also gave presentations on the island, the wildlife, pirate lore and coconuts. We went birding, played volleyball, croquet (a little different version than what you're used to) and believe it or not, relaxed. The food was out of this world (I'm now working on diet) and what's not to like about Belikin beer!
The weather was fantastic and we were treated to a lunar eclipse. I know this sounds too good to be true, but it is the best vacation I've had in a long time. Now I'm just trying to figure out when I can go back.

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Slickrock in Belize is not for families. Lucy the Island manager said that the adventure guides chores, doing dishes, was more important than the customers. The showers are not separated for men and women and the walls of the shower do not go to the floor and this lack privacy. There were not enough guides for the number of guests. In a half week there were less opportunities to attend a required training class on an activity such as snorkeling or kayayking then the number of activities offered. This made it impossible to try all activities advertised. Although kite surfing was advertised, there were no kite surfing instructor on the island during our stay. The staff took care of their families who visited the island for free before the paying guests. Adults took turns wind surfing during the wind surf required orientation while children sat through the lengthy land class and then were told they could not have a turn with the water instruction because the guides had lunch and dishes to do. Slickrock is not for families and children were not made to feel welcomed.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Family4BucketList
SlickrockAdventures, Owner at Long Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Our guests are the most wonderful people. On the island we make new best friends every week. In the Utah office we constantly get these fantastic emails: “My trip with you changed my life.”, “That was the best vacation I have ever had!”, “We are already planning our trip there next year.” We work very hard to provide a fantastic experience to everyone, regardless of whether guests are experienced watermen or beginner kayakers just trying out adventure travel for the very first time. Our return guest rate is between 25 and 30%. Think about it: a private island with snorkeling right off shore, 82 degree water, the only surf spot in the country, the best sport toys money can buy right on the beach, ten different sports offered, expert guides, great food, fun guests and staff… what’s not to love?

This is why it’s such a shock when we have a guest who just refuses to be happy, no matter what we do. We bent over backwards to try to please this guest, who was excessively demanding, but nothing worked. She wrote a scathing review which Trip Advisor fortunately removed for us, and now she has come back and written this wildly inaccurate review that is very negative. We could debate this review point for point but it would not be productive. We only hope that people reading this review will take into consideration the overwhelming number of excellent reviews we have received and realize that this review is not truly representative of our operation. We strive to treat all of our guests like family, but as is evident from this review there are always a few bad apples in the barrel…

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This place deserves 5 stars from all around – location, activities, organization, attention to detail, and safety. You don’t need to be a hardcore camper to go there – if you’re used to spending time outdoors, enough comfort will be provided for you to have a relaxing vacation. You can do nothing and read a book in a hammock waiting for your next meal, or join the daily outdoor activities with the rest of the group. Mark, our lead guide, has impressed me a lot – not your typical “just do it” sports instructor, but a considerate and knowledgeable professional, who understands different levels of abilities and motivation of people in his group. His instruction was spot on, and so were the helpful tips in real-time on what to watch out for while we were out there in the open.
The menu has basic simple dishes, and some surprisingly delicious entries as well. I’m picky with my food, but I have only praise for their staff cook. All the food was wholesome, tasty, and prepared freshly from scratch. After the evening dinner, the guides offer talks on the nature and history around the island, where Mark has impressed us again with his abilities to entertain and educate at the same time.
No TV, phone, or internet, and I didn’t miss it at all. I spent most of my time snorkeling and kayaking. The coral variety is one of the best I’ve seen. If you’re into various water sports, there is more than enough to do for the whole week. Note that they have a buddy system that requires you to find a companion if you want to venture out on your own. This policy is definitely appreciated, since you’re 60 miles out there away from the civilization, and you cannot afford any serious trouble. I was there single, so this presented an issue for me finding someone else to go do some snorkeling on my own schedule. Fortunately, our group was small so the guides were available to accompany me. Lucy, the camp manager herself, offered to be my buddy and took me out so I could have my semi-solitude exploring snorkeling around the island.
A direct boat ride from Belize City is a big logistical plus if you’re for first time in Belize and don’t know your way around yet. You fly in, take a taxi to the hotel that they had pre-booked for you, and join your group there. Next morning they take everyone to their boat for the direct ride to the island.
Overall, the trip is organized very well, with attention paid to all important details, and the responsible attitude of the owners and staff is apparent everywhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank altavista091
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Incredible vacation!

Just got back from the most fun escape we have ever had!
From the moment we met our trip leader 'M.J.' for a preliminary group orientation in Belize City, we anticipated a good time but little did we realize how amazingly over-the-top our adventure would be!
Even 'getting to' Long Caye was fun….the included 65 mile ride out into the Carribean Sea was exciting. The boat was sheltered but we could stand up through the many hatches and catch the sea spray and watch 'civilization' disappear behind us. We saw dolphins in the waves alongside the boat, and frigate birds. By the time we arrived on our white coral sand island there was no mainland in sight - it was hard to tell where the sea stopped and the sky started!

We were two of about 21 guests on the island, we could do as much or as little as we wished but for us it was fantastic to 'do it all'.
I am 61 and consider myself in fairly good condition but I never thought I would be wind-surfing. With Slickrock expert guidance and encouragement (pretty much 'one on one' orientation), I did it! Well sort of anyways. :)
But I have to say the snorkelling was the best! We went in small groups of 5-6 people, (though you could go with just a 'buddy') The thing that was great about going with one of the knowledgeable guides was that they could point out creatures that you could miss on your own, and tell you interesting tidbits about the ecology of the sea life. It left me feeling even more amazed about how awesome a world we live in.

The privacy of our thatched-roof cabana among the palm trees meant that we could chill if we chose, on our own porch with rum and fresh-squeezed orange juice . The sea was beautiful with waves crashing only about 15 feet from our elevated vantage point.

We were impressed by the environmental respect and consideration that this organization strives to maintain. Especially concerning the coral reef, we learned how to enjoy it responsibly.
The guides were very well-informed and really great people. You could really sense their passion for this place and all the life it boasts. Amazing diversity, incredible corals, octopi and stingrays - 'up close and personal' - right under our kayaks! Outrageously coloured fish of all shapes and sizes, we learned so much. from our Belizean guides.

There were no surprises. The web-site and Slickrock's pre-trip planning materials are top-notch.

Slickrock's communal flavour meant that we met friends and made memories that we will cherish. The fun activities that the Slickrock staff organized were at times hilarious…like the 'Island Olympics' - all I can say is that it involved - among other things - a wheelbarrow, a kayak, a hermit crab and a coconut!
And the food - how much more authentic could you get than Belizian cooks Aurora and Marcie and their homemade breads and outstanding meals? Plenty of food - something for every palate, including delicious late afternoon appetizers.

Slickrock took care of us all the way through - including our last night back in Belize City.

Lucy (one of Slickrock's owners) treated us like family - and that is grand!

We will return.

#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in South Water Caye

Been to Long Caye Resort? Share your experiences!