“Island in Paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glovers Reef Atoll
Glovers Reef Basecamp
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Island Expeditions is an excellent tour guide with knowledgeable guides and staff. Activities were well planned and you always felt supported by the staff. There is always an effort to educate about both environment and Belize culture as well as entertain and provide adventure.
There were always lots of options including hammock time.

The Food was AMAZING!, Tasty, healthy, prepared with many Belize local ingredients, great variety. One person in our group was allergic to shell fish and they always prepared an optional dish for him.

We did optional Yoga in the mornings before breakfast which was an unexpected treat and excellent way to loosen up tight muscles before the days activities.

If you want a bar and some cold adult beverage, you can always walk next door to the other operation that shares the island, Isla Marisol, and have a Belikin Beer or Rum drink at their pier side bar. Isla Marisol also provides scuba diving for an additional fee.

The tents were adequate with comfortable beds, cubbys to unpack in, a nice porch with wood chairs, kerosene lamps, lines to dry out your wetsuit or gear.

If you want and need luxury, privacy, pampering, maybe even room service this is NOT the place for you! If however, you want adventure and relaxation with a small group of like minded people, this is a very pleasant vacation indeed.

Well managed, well staffed, great food, unique experience you simply can't find at a hotel!

Room Tip: Headlamps are helpful, a sturdy water bottle or two, extra batteries, bug spray was needed a couple...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RonLykins

Reviewed 13 February 2012

It is a wonderful place to stay for 2-3 nights. If you like kayak, snorkeling you'll feel like in paradise. We saw a lot of corals, fish (snapper, barracuda, grouper, batfish...). We have chosen Island Expedition to travel for 2 nights to the island and were very satisfied: http://www.islandexpeditions.com/. Super service, guides and the best cuisine!!! Do not forget to take a bottle of wine or rum with you...and just enjoy the island.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michaela r
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Spent a week at Glover's Reef with Island Expeditions and I would highly recommend this experience for those who need a good douse of action and solitude. The food that was prepared by Martha and Diana was plentiful and allowed you to get a good idea of Belizean type fare. Why go to another culture and eat what you can eat at home? There were johnny-cakes, barracuda, conch, shrimp dishes plus wholesome cakes and lemon cookies. All in all, food was awesome!!

I had the amazing opportunity to be there when the Belizean and North American guides were being trained so I saw first hand how serious this expedition company is about the wealth of experience, safety and knowledge that they garner for their staff.

Thanks to Alex Sr., Alex Jr. , Pedro, Presley, James, Omar, Karm, Greg, Brett, Bernardo, Mr. B, Mudd, Robert, Phillip, Hagler, Adolfo, Gamasco, Jimmy, Ilias, Jamie and so many more who made this trip memorable. When you go on an expedition, these guides are personable and friendly. Take the time to really get to know them and their stories as it will color your perceptions not only about the place but the culture that survives and thrives in Belize. Belizeans live within a diversity of languages, cultures, races and yet they live peacefully. If I was to create a bumper sticker for Belizeans attitude, it would read: "LIVE AND LET LIVE".

I was a relative newbie to kayaking and snorkelling and Mike, Jimmy and Brett always made me feel included, at home and not the total klutz that I can be. They were always encouraging me! The island is a peaceful sanctuary and a great place to drop off your robes of ego and let goof this idea that you need all of this internet connection to make you feel connected. The sheer beauty of the place allows you to feel a connection that is otherwordly and wait until you go explore the reef and see turtles, sharks, rays and a whole aquarium of fish you have never seen before. The only thing that is difficult is watching the coral plantlife as it seems to be waving good-bye to you.

The tents are fantastic....you get a feeling of what it feels like to be "Out of Africa". The other
guests on my trip were five amazing geared for action women. They had many tales of travel and they were always game for the next adventure.

Island Expeditions is not just a travel company but actually cares about its guest, staff and the environment. One of the owners, Denver did a beach clean up and brought in a gull to be rescued by the resident wildlife experts, Greg.

All in all, a fantastic trip to always be remembered!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank yogamates
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I am a bit slow on this one and I have to say that both my sister and I loved this trip. Even 3 1/2 years later, we still talk about what a great time we had. We were at Glover's Reef for a week and bought one of the mainland extensions. If you are looking for a five star room service type vacation - this isn't it, but if you want to be able to see, smell and hear the ocean as you relax in your tent - this is the place. I have physical limitations and they did everything to accommodate me - I never felt as if I was inconveniencing anyone. There was so much to love about this - the food was local based and delicious, at night the sky looked like a planetarium - the stars were everywhere, the guides were friendly and very knowledgeable, and on and on. But my two favorite parts of the trip were 1) when I was snorkeling, the guide pointed out some seahorses and I actually got to hold one (very gingerly and briefly); 2) was on the mainland portion of the trip: we were staying at the Bird's Eye Lodge (not sure of the name at this point) and we took a boat ride up the river to see some ruins. I felt a little like I was on the African Queen - but it was the most beautiful and relaxing ride. I wish I could duplicate it!
The only downside to this trip: the bugs. My sister had a few bites...but I was covered with bites (literally more than 100) despite using every bug chemical I could find and also keeping my body covered at all times. You are either delicious or not. I figured that I was more delicious than my sister was, so I was her decoy and took the bites for her! I would still go back - an amazing trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank debithead
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We recently did a trip to Glovers Reef with Island Expeditions. My partner and I have never done a guided trip before so we were a bit hesitant because we are used to very independent adventure travel. It ended up being a super trip! The guides were great (one canadian, 3 belizean) and each had their own skills. We had activities every day and the guides worked to accomodate the interests and skills of the group. The food was fabulous, the two belizean cooks did an amazing job. We snorkelled every day and saw so many amazing corals, fish etc. Learned to sail a kayak which was cool and a new skill after having sea kayaked for many years. We went fishing, sailing, kayaking, snorkelling, walking and just hanging in the hammocks. Bring some money so you can go to the little bar next door at Isla Marisol. (Island Expeditions only provides a beer a day to their clients) HIGHLY RECOMMEND this trip! Once in a lifetime to go to Glovers.

Room Tip: You are staying in wall tents with okay beds.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LGorecki
Reviewed 7 March 2011

One poster wrote that "you wouldn't want to get voted off this island". I'm laughing because I now know which guide they must have had!

Absolutely A-One scheduling and organization. The only thing better than the snorkelling was the staff who were, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, amazing people; funny, entertaining, knowledgeable, helpful and professional to a fault.

You don't have to be a skilled kayaker or snorkeler to completely enjoy yourself with Island Expeditions and their Glover's Reef camp; they can (and did) make anyone feel competent and able at all aspects of their trip. From the zip-lining in the jungle to the River of Caves tubing (done with a very well selected sub-contractor whose employee/guide was every bit as good) to the trip out to the reef and subsequent base-camping we had an absolute blast. Our fellow guests helped make the trip one to remember forever and even the hotel (Biltmore in Belize City) went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating.

Cudos to Island Expeditions for putting this together, selecting and hiring the right people, and fine-tuning their logistics to what seemed to be split-second timing. Well worth the price of admission; don't be afraid of a "generation gap".

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tootsall
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We had a wonderful on Glovers Reef. Every picture we took looked like it belonged on a postcard. All of the staff were nice and knowledgeable about the wildlife. The walled tents had comfortable beds, plenty of shelves for storage, and a oil lamp. All of our meals were delicious. My husband had some food requirements and they were all taken care of. If you love seafood, they had fresh fish and shrimp at dinner or lunch. There is a dive resort on the island as well, so we did head down to their over-the-water bar for some Belikin.
There are showers there, but it is fed by the rain water, so no real water pressure and is luke warm. Though after a day in the sun a cool shower feels refreshing.
The entire camp was well put together and thought out.
We are definitely going to return to Glovers Reef.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 20 in Placencia
Thatch Caye Resort
Thatch Caye Resort
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay

Been to Glovers Reef Basecamp? Share your experiences!