Isla Marisol Resort
US$152
US$64
Priceline
Great 4.5/5
Calico Jack's Village(Seven Miles El Progresso)
US$132
Orbitz.com
Great 4.5/5
Hidden Valley Inn(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
US$336
US$259
Hotels.com
Excellent 5/5
Mariposa Jungle Lodge(San Antonio)
TripAdvisor
Excellent 5/5
All reviewswhale sharkssand fliesair conditioningboat ridefishevery mealfly roddive siteswater barthe kitchen stafffresh towelssea lifethe reefslong boathead cookexperienced diversbring your bug spray
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 May 2011

When you visit Isla Marisol, you are treated like family. The cabanas are comfortable and clean. The food is delicious and the beer is cold. You couldn't ask for a more peaceful and laid-back atmosphere. If you are looking for a pool scene and thumping disco-- go somewhere else. But, if you can do without T.V and like the idea of only needing your favorite flip-flops, some shorts and your dive equipment, then this is the place to be.
Diving at Isla Marisol was wonderful, Chad, Kitty and Seth made sure we were safe, comfortable and took great care of our tanks and gear. Marisol and Jenice made sure we were fed three square meals of fresh, delicious food each day. Ninja, Bowser and Princess made sure we were protected from "sea monsters" and didn't miss our pets too much.
We especially loved watching the sunsets and chatting with friends at the bar before dinner and napping in the hammock on the porch of our cabana between dives. Tip: Eddie sprays the island for bugs, but it's still a good idea to bring insect repellent.

Room Tip: In April we did not need the A/C
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kikibee2
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Thanks to Eddie,Chad, Kitty, Angie, Seth, Mora,...etc. I had a great experience diving with Isla Marisol. I really enjoyed the wall dives....more than once I thought to myself "wow, this is awesome" I got to see a baby dolphin swim around us during our safety stop ! The surface interval is spent on the atoll reading or sleeping which is a very relaxing way to dive....Drift Dives lasting 50-60min @ 50-70'. If u needed to surface early (before the rest of the group), no problem... the boat is always nearby :) The Resort staff is accommodating to all requests... I thought the food was great and plenty of it !!! The Bar was an unexpected discovery and Angie (aka Angel) makes the best screw drivers !

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Rn_Diver_69
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Where should I start? I went with my wife of 10 years. This is the most romantic private resort you could ever dream about.
The romantic clean cabana was 6 feet from the crystal clear water. Cabana had its own bathroom, comfortable beds, HOT water, fans and AC although we did not need to turn the AC on as the weather was excellent. Equipped with a deck and a hammock.
The island is sprayed everyday and there was no sight of any creatures to eat you up.
The staff and food were amazing. All home cooked meals to perfection. Most vacations, you are tired of eating out and ready for a home cooked meal, well every meal at the Marisol is home cooked and Fantastic. I wanted to bring Felicita home to cook for us everyday. We had fresh fish, chicken, shrimp, lobster,fresh fruits, desserts and all the fixing and the most amazing pickled habanero onions my wife couldnt get enough.
We were first time divers and we were well taken care of, had no issues feeling like we were amongst ONLY pro divers. LIV was there with us on our first dive especially making my wife feel comfortable and having lots of patience with her and we had the time of our lives. Kitty and Chad were amazing as well, spending lots of time with them at the bar. Stories and Stories, ASK CHAD ABOUT the lady and the turtle, best ever! Yoou will laugh until your stomach drops. Eddie has successfully created a very clean cozy private resort with the best staff. My wife and I felt like they were all family. We were treated OUTSTANDING! Thank you everyone and especially Eddie for our best vacation ever. Everyone needs to go to Isla Marisol!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We were a group of keen, relaxed divers who are always looking for somewhere off the beaten path. We found it here! The staff were like family and invariably their answer to any question we had whether it was:" can we take the coffee carafe to our rooms for early morning coffee?" Can we have a 3rd helping of that conch ceviche? Can we have a jug of that delicious fruit squash to mix with our rum we have in the cabin?" was always "sure we are here to make you happy!" We just loved it.

Now the place is not the "Ritz" - from pictures you can see the cabins are rustic, basic - but they are very charming. Good beds (firm the way I like them), good linens, good towels, beach towels provided, beach mats provided. Rooms are very comfortable - rarely needed overhead fans - the constant breeze blowing through the rooms kept us very comfortable at night. The island is gorgeous, clean and well maintained - there was always someone out there raking and cleaning debris.

It was wonderful to be able to spend surface interval time taking a nap in the porch hammock or fishing for the plentiful bonefish just steps from the cabin. The fishing was great! Eddie tried to get fish most days for dinner, whether purchasing from local conch fishermen or going out to spear fish. The cooks are talented - wonderful main courses with good fresh vegetables. Did I mention the conch ceviche??? TO DIE FOR!!!

Food is very important to our group and we can say we enjoyed it all. Felicia the head cook, wants to accomodate your wishes. Cecilia and Alicia are wonderful helpers in the kitchen. They love to have you come in the kitchen to look around and share a few laughs. We were there for American Thanksgiving and they managed to get a Turkey and cooked a fabulous pumpkin pie! We had the meal family style on the deck of the bar with candles, linensand thanksgiving toasts.

The diving was great. We enjoyed the large well equipped dive boat and the diving staff were supportive and fun. Thanks to Mimi, Chad, Eddie and all the other staff - their names don't come to mind... Fabulous wall diving, wonderful soft corals, turtles - gentle drift diving.

The thing we most appreciated was the staff was willing to facilitate our silly fun. They came and danced with us and laughed at our stupid jokes. They taught us a few naughty moves on the dance floor. And they put up with the midnite skinny dips!

Now about the sandflies: not a big issue for us. If you totally freak out about this - don't come here. Eddie does his best to treat for them and I think it is quite effective. But we all got bites sooner or later. The following week we were in Placencia and the sand flies were much worse actually, and we were off the beach on the lagoon!

Thanks to everyone at Isla Mirasol - you made our vacation special!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I've been to Belize before - more than a decade ago, so I was really expecting primative conditions. Imagine my surprise when we were picked up from our hotel in Dangriga and taken to the dock where we boarded a nice big enclosed boat that ferried us all out to the island. Upon arrival at the dock at Isla Marisol, we were greeted by Bowser and Ninja (the resident dogs who are very friendly and child tolerant).

We stayed on the island for about a week, and during our time there we were treated like family. The staff was always very helpful and willing to do anything we asked of them.

Our seven year old great nephew was able to enjoy fishing, snorkling, swimming, hunting for hermit crabs, and being a seven-year-old .

My husband and I enjoyed the diving, the sunrises, sunsets, tranquility, the peaceful lapping of the sea against the shore outside our cabana, etc...

The food was absolutely wonderful!!! Even though I have a severe shellfish allergy, the staff made certain that I had no cause to worry. We were treated to several regional dishes that were amazing (we even bought a cookbook at the airport in hopes of recreating some of them).

All in all, whether you are there for your honeymoon (or second honeymoon) or are going for a family vacation, Isla Marisol is an island paradise.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family