“Beautiful, peaceful place with great staff”

Isla Marisol Resort
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I can't say enough about how helpful staff were, especially with snorkeling and helping to get our masks in great shape. Thanks for the loan of the wetsuits - the reef was absolutely amazing and it didn't matter that it was raining at all.
Great food, clean accommodation, nice people to meet, great place for active people including families.
We had a calm boat ride to get to the atoll, but a little rough on the way back - nothing we couldn't handle.
It's a different world out there, and the owners are proud of what they've created.
3 days wasn't enough to see all we wanted to see, and sometimes weather can get in the way.
The condition of the reef is excellent - we saw lobster, barracuda, a nurse shark, stingrays, lion fish, lots of coral. The snorkeling trips are well staffed - they obviously enjoy their work and sharing with the guests.
We chose this location because of the healthy coral reefs - we made the right choice.

Room Tip: Any of the cabanas are great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Great location, isolated resort on a small island with comfortable cabins with showers, fans, AC , and fabulous views. Cabins are basic but more than I expected in this location.
Resort basically for snorkelers and divers, sea kayaks available. The remoteness also allows for self discovery, great scenery.
Meals and kitchen staff are great, although lunch menu was very limited. Wifi although slow is great to have at dining room. Dinner buffet at large tables. Staff very helpful.
Snorkelling good, twice daily boat goes out with a guide who is very helpful. Reef I saw was very good and even the lagoon was interesting.
Just remember it is a significant boat ride out from mainland so u do lose some vacation time BUT the reefs are less damaged by casual snorkelers that are present closer to mainland. The ride can be rough in bad weather and I would hope the resort has started to tell people where the life jackets are and that there are sufficient numbers for the number of passengers.
This is a unique place to visit for snorkelers, definitely worth a visit.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OntarioCanuck1
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My son who is 24 told me as I was taking him to the airport for his flight to his home this was the best vacation ever and asked we're our next adventure will be. It is a paradise but what is even more special is the feeling that the whole experience provides. The staff is excellent and I mean excellent. They tend to your needs and you never feel they are doing so because it is there job. The food was healthy and tasty and you feel like family. I became certified to dive and felt safe and well trained. I may never dive again but if I choose to pursue I can. It is remote and getting there is not for the weak but you arrive it is well worth it. If you fish my son would tell you by all means come on he caught lots and lots of fish. If you snorkel well that was great as well and if you dive well I've already covered that. All I can say is go you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Cabana 2 is right on water and got incredible views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelingatty24
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We live in a cold place and decided at the last minute to spend Christmas somewhere warm that did not involve a huge amount of travel. To be fair - I travel a lot for work so for my standards may be different. We were not looking for someplace ritzy but wanted a place in touch with Nature and away from everything. And Isla Marisol is close to perfect. The tiny plane ride from Belize city and the 1.5h boat ride was a wonderful start. And we estimate it was 10hs door to door - not bad. We loved the informality and the wonderful cabanas. Next time I will book earlier to get one on the water but it really didn't matter. We went swimming immediately and knew we were really on vacation. The bar was our next stop and a wonderful margarita. We chatted with the owner and it was wonderful that this is truly a family run place so they really care what you think. We went snorkeling and kayaking every day and took the trip to the blue hole - you must do this if you go. I'm sure the divers enjoyed it even more but we had a great time seeing all the fish and beautiful coral. And there was morning and evening yoga! The food was simple but right for people who don't want to eat a lot and gain weight:) very healthy. Since we are adventurous and tolerant of just about anything - this was a perfect trip. I will mention a few things you might want to know about that did not bother us too much and were for the most part out of the control of the owners
-I personally loved the weather but the wind does blow from the North in Dec and it can be rainy at least for part of the day
-Since it was a holiday - there was a fair amount of late night partying at the bar with loud music which I appreciate people having fun - but made it noisy for a few evenings - would have preferred the sound of the sea
-Something that saddened me a lot is how much trash there is in the ocean there - and of course it gets swept up onto the beach. There is a lot of plastic floating in the ocean and it reinforces that we need to take better care of our planet.
So go to Isla Marisol with an open mind and be ready to relax with Nature.

Room Tip: as others have said try to be near the water and away from the bar
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Abstraction
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Isla.
"I've done 2500 scuba dives in my life and that's the clearest water ever. Best visibility"
The overall experience is amazing. If your a diver the diving is world class, If you just love tropical perfect places that make you understand the word Paradise. Then this is the place.
The boats the dive gear the food the bar the rooms the beaches all the exact way they should be.
If you want the best transfer boat to that area they have it. This is a picture perfect island in the middle of one of the best ocean environments anywhere.
Its amazing how they provide you with the all the modern amenities.
Its not a five star hotel.Its a five star island paradise.
Just go, dont think twice.

Room Tip: there are a coupe that touch the water we liked those
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vancouvertigerlily
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Isla Marisol is just paradise. The water and views are stunning. The food, although served kind of summer camp style, was fabulous. One in our party had dairy intolerance and gluten intolerance and the cooks made wonderful accommodations.

Every staff person is friendly and nice. My boys loved hanging out with the boat guys.

Although meal times are set (sort of), you can do whatever you want all day -- snorkel, paddleboard, kayak, swim, or laze in the hammock. The temperature was heavenly -- warm but with nice breezes.

The only small negative is the sand fleas....they don't seem bad at first, and then the itching starts.... Bring your bug spray.

If you must be wired in at every moment, or get upset if the electricity goes out, this is not the place for you. But, if you want a relaxing, calm, Belize experience, this is the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank KimandFamily4
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here in early May. When they picked us up to take us out to the island they said something about the other people that were to be going out there with us changed plans and were coming out later. What we didn't know until we stepped off the boat, was that we were the ONLY guests on the island. We felt like movie stars or something. Obviously, the service was completely catered to our every want and need and even then, they blew us away. We had our own cook, three guides and an entire island to ourselves.

The food was amazing. Fish that was swimming that morning was in our bellies that afternoon. We hung out at the bar in the evenings with the 'locals' and by that I mean, people coming in off their sail boats, researchers from one of the neighboring islands on the atoll and all the staff. Music, booze and great company...can't beat it.

We did the 4-day snorkel tour so they took us out twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. We saw nurse shark, lobster, rays and crazy amounts of fish. Oh! And dolphins on the way out to the island the first day, on the 36-mile trek across open ocean to get there. The second day we snorkeled we asked them to take us out on the kayaks. That was very cool. We paddled almost all the way to another island, got out and snorkeled right there. Awesome!

Our cabana was amazing. We had one at the opposite end of the island from the dock. It was literally feet from the water and kind of on its own little bay. We would get up, put our masks and snorkels on and tootle around right there in our own private aquarium. I couldn't get enough. My sister chose to sunbathe a lot of the time, which was also a perfect way to spend the morning or afternoon.

The island was beyond amazing. The people were beyond amazing and so was the food. Even the two island dogs, Ninja and Cujo (that wasn't his name but he looked like a Cujo) were awesome. Sweet as could be. The owner came out to the island the last night we stayed, had drinks with us and even showed us around town back on the mainland because he went back with us the next day. Talk about V.I.P. treatment : )

If you're debating whether or not to go, go! It will be well worth it.

If any of the staff read this, hello from Dallas! Hope we get to see you all again someday soon!

• Stayed: May 2013
#8 of 20 in Placencia
Yok Ha Resort
Yok Ha Resort
#1 of 1 in Waterfoot Caye

Been to Isla Marisol Resort? Share your experiences!