“My favorite vacation, ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glovers Reef Atoll
Off The Wall Dive Center & Resort
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I have been telling people that it's like being plucked from home and dropped onto a magical, enchanted island. I really am not usually this cheesy, but I loved it so much! Loved the little (but not too little) cabanas w/ windows and doors on all sides to catch the ocean breezes, the white sheets and curtains, the chaise lounges placed all over, including near, but not too near the osprey nest (with baby ospreys!), swinging double beds outside, lanterns and tikki torches at night, stars which were just a-maz-ing, and sand paths w/ tons of hermit crabs and iguanas. The staff and owners were lovely - friendly, funny, kind, accomodating, and professional. The diving and snorkeling were great, itinerary low key w/ one of the owners asking every morning at breakfast who wanted to do what and making sure everybody got to do what they wanted. And, it was okay not to do anything, very easy to do in such a soothing and beautiful place.
The food was excellent, all cooked by the very kind Eileen. It tended toward Belizean and Central American food, lots of coconut, pinneapple, fish, rice and beans. Eileen is a stand-out w/ sweets -- there was this one lemon meringue pie w/ a coconut crust...

A few notes - Kendra, who is one of the owners and fantastic about pre-vacation communication via e-mail, does let you know that you can buy liquor at duty free on the way in, if you want something other than rum. I would do this next time, just b/c I ended up a little tired w/ a sweet rum drink every night.
Another note is that while this is an absolutely beautiful place, if may not be for everyone. It's casual and laid back. If you like your room cleaned every day, want to eat off a menu, or like to take 25 minute hot showers, you should probably skip it. If on the other hand, you are okay doing the occasional sand sweep of your room, should you be so inclined, love buffet dinners where guests and and staff all eat together, and are okay w/ an occasional rinse of fresh water in a beautifully tiled outdoor shower, you'd be good to go.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Caroline D

Reviewed 20 March 2013

A truly unique dive and vacation experience. This island is out of the mainstream, quiet, very natural and entirely relaxing! Jim and Kendra have really created a special place. The open air ocean front huts are comfortable and beautiful. We enjoyed sleeping to the sound of the waves and feeling the breeze. The staff were all very friendly and good at what they do! Jim and Kendra were very helpful and informative with the planning of the trip, the cooking was great, the dive masters were informative and safe and boat driver was helpful and professional. The diving opportunities were fantastic but we also spent a lot of time snorkeling around the reef on our own, which is easy to do on both sides of the island.
I am impressed by the conservation of the natural resources on this tiny island and appreciate the owner's thoughtfulness on not over developing. Expect communal ( and lovely) open air showers with solar heated rain water, communal composting toilet, simple but charming grounds, and an open air palapa dining area. Don't expect exciting nightlife (unless you count the night dive!), stress, restaurants, etc.
The week went fast and left my husband and I wondering when we could come back...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathryn S
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I just spent a memorable week on Long Caye with a wonderful group of people. There were 8 guests and 8 staff, including the lovely owners. Eileen cooked 3 fresh and delicious meals each day.
Although a small and cozy island, it is surrounded by the most beautiful turquoise waters, and shallow coral reefs perfect for snorkeling. Matthew the dive master guided us around in the water to discover rays, eels, sharks, and my new favorite, the Bat fish, plus so much more.
There were kayaks and paddleboards to explore the prettiest water I have ever seen. There is a yoga deck where your gaze takes you out past all walls and into the infinity pool of an ocean. Kendra and Jim manage an incredible place here.
I appreciated the opportunity to bond and share stories, adventures, meals and libations with guests and staff from many different places who happened to come together for a perfect week at Off the Wall.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sierrakat
offthewallbelize, Owner at Off The Wall Dive Center & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are thrilled that you had such a wonderful time at our resort, with the other guests and with our staff. We enjoyed having you here, it was a really fun week with great stories, and lots of laughter. We are happy that you enjoyed the yoga deck, kayaks, paddle boards and snorkeling around our gorgeous reef as well as our meals. We hope to see you again. -Kendra and Jim

Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I spent a perfectly blissful, fun week at off the Wall in early February. Jim and Kendra and are incredible hosts. Before our trip, we emailed Jim and Kendra several times, always receiving quick, really informative replies. We had planned to go to OTW in December, but ended up buying a new home in November, which put a kink in our travel plans. They were kind enough to allow us to change our travel dates so that we wouldn't be having to leave home in the midst of settling into our new house! On getting to OTW, we immediately felt welcome - Jim and Kendra are both really warm, open people and Jim's sense of humor is quite memorable!

Once on the island, it was quickly apparent that we were in for an amazing week! The island is small (probably about a mile around) and the resort only accommodates up to 10 guests at a time. There is another resort on the other half of the island that has up to 35ish guests at once. The guest cabanas are all spotless and stocked with a hammock and chairs on the deck, books, towels, yoga mats, candles and oil lanterns (candles and lanterns are the primary source of light at night, to conserve electricity). The cabanas are facing the sea, promising an amazing view, the sound of the sea at night and plenty of privacy from other guests.

Scattered around the resort are hanging beds facing the sea (easily the best idea since sliced bread!), hammocks, sea kayaks, paddleboards, etc. There are also trails for running and moseying.

The diving here is AMAZING!! OTW started out as a dive shop and then morphed into a resort, so diving is really the heart and soul. Jim and the dive masters know every nook and cranny in the reefs, often have a story to tell about each dive site and are experts on the critters. The dive equipment is all in great condition and the dive master and boat captain take excellent care of all the divers. Our dive master (Matthew) is AWESOME! This was the first diving I'd done since my certification and I felt comfortable during all our dives. Matthew was attentive before and during each dive and pointed out incredible sights on every dive! I know it's going to be a little disappointing to dive anywhere else after this, simply because this is some of the best diving anywhere. The water is really clear and the variety of creatures is amazing (moray eels, rays, dolphins, sharks, fish big and small and on and on.)

All of the other OTW staff are also friendly and great at what they do. Eileen (the cook) is not only awesome in the kitchen but also a hoot! I highly recommend her fresh, homemade tortillas. Meals are taken together and are served buffet style. I don't think anyone walked away from a meal hungry, but just in case, there were always always cookies, grapefruits and oranges (for juicing) to snack on.

The vibe on the island is low-key, relaxed, fun. The sort of place where time stands still and you leave feeling both energized and really well-rested. I can't wait until we can go back again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Annie H
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We LOVE this place. It is an experience that anyone who loves beauty, serenity, the Caribe, a slow-paced-out-of-the-fray-home/resort, should visit. We were there 3 years ago, and while I generally like to travel and try different places, it was an absolute no-brainer about returning here. Kendra and Jim have created a truly homey and environmentally sustainable "resort". I refer to it in that way because it has such a feel of welcome and personal care. There is absolutely nothing about Off the Wall that feels commercial or ostentacious. Go check it out, just not when we're planning to return!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank annamoose
Reviewed 7 March 2013

My wife, three year old daughter and I recently spent a week at Off the Wall Dive Resort on Long Caye at Glover’s Reef Atoll. It is a very special place. The island setting feels very remote and pristine and the owners, Jim and Kendra, have done a truly outstanding job of making it a real paradise. There is already ample and accurate description of the facilities and logistics so I will not dwell on this. Suffice to say that the cabanas, outdoor showers and washroom facilities were clean, comfortable and built to a high standard.

The food that Eileen prepared was incredible. Every meal was something to look forward to and the fresh snapper and lionfish was a real treat. The entire staff made us feel welcome and comfortable. They were relaxed and casual while at the same time very detail oriented which in my experience is quite a rare thing. We really liked that the guests, staff and owners took all meals together. It was a really fun and social atmosphere.

The diving and snorkeling sites were incredible and the Captain and dive master made all the diving and snorkeling trips safe and a pleasure. As I received my open water certification during our stay, I can also say that my instructor was top notch.

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful setting, the iguanas, hermit crabs and all the sea life and I think Off the Wall could be an excellent choice for families.

Jim and Kendra have created something very special and are wonderful people.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Paul I
Reviewed 28 February 2013

My wife and I just spent an incredible week with Kendra, Jim and crew. We wanted to take a trip built around good diving (after having a trip to Thailand thrown a wee bit off track by appendicitis), and Off the Wall fit the bill perfectly.

First, an explanation of the setup. OTW is located on Long Caye, one of 5 islands around Glover's reef, a protected marine area. OTW can accomodate 10 guests in 5 shoreline cabanas, and is staffed by 7-8 crew if you include Kendra and Jim. They keep basically two complete crews, with each group working two weeks on and two weeks off, so your experience may vary a bit depending on your crew. We had Eileen (cook), Matthew (divemaster), Junior (dive boat captain), Beverly (dive instructor), Juan (handyman), Mario (night watchman). They share the island with Slickrock Adventures, a bigger operation that can accomodate from up to about 30 guests at a time. The only power sources are solar and wind, supplies only come in once a week with the guests, and water is mostly from captured rainwater (drinking and water is bottled). With water and power at a premium, you shouldn't expect daily washed sheets and towels, hot showers, on demand room service, etc. Kendra described it as 5 star camping, and that seemed like a pretty apt description. But if you go into your trip with the proper expectations, you won't miss those things at all.

Meals are served the same time each day, and are served buffet style. (Some of your trip enjoyment will depend on the other guests, as meals are all taken together, as is evening social time. We felt like we had a great group.) Eileen was an awesome cook! They try to provide a balance of local foods as well as more familiar western dishes. Some of highlights included homemade tortillas, fresh conch ceviche, and blackened fresh caught snapper. If anything, I would've liked to have seen more local style dishes, but I can understand wanting to keep as many guests happy as possible with more familiar fare. I normally eat like a horse and brought lots of my own snacks to eat between meals, but ended up not eating much of it all. Meals were plentiful and hearty enough, even with all our physical activity.

Cabanas were clean and bug free, and with a constant ocean breeze were a comfortable temperature even without AC or fans (we were there in early Feb.) Beds were queen sized regular mattresses, from talking to a few of the Slickrock guests, they had smaller rubberized mattresses. Yeesh. We stayed in Stumpy's cabana, but from what we saw, would've been equally happy with any of the others. The entire island was largely bug and mosquito free, owing to the constant breeze and the two resorts regular spraying.

Finally, the diving and snorkeling was amazeballs! Simply some of the best wall diving in the western hemisphere. With such a small group of guests, you generally have the option of deciding in the morning each day how many diving trips you'd like to do that day, what time to go, etc. All of the dive sites were no more than a 10 minute boat ride away, and just a few hundred yards out from our cabana we could actually see the water color change where the seafloor plunges down from 30-40 yards deep to 2000. We sometimes would see other dive boats that came 90 minutes or more from the mainland to do the dives that were just a quick 5 minute ride for us. Equipment was well maintained and Matthew and Beverly were top notch. We choose to go twice a day every day we were there and saw barracuda, stingrays, turtles, spotted drums, moray eels, lobsters, and dolphins from both above and below. We didn't do any of the escorted boat snorkeling, but heard good things from other guests who did. Great snorkeling was readily available right from shore, or a short paddle away using one of the available kayaks or stand up paddleboards. The only bad part is that having been so spoiled, diving most anywhere else will probably seem pretty shoddy in comparison.

Jim and Kendra clearly put a priority on top notch service, from booking the logistics of your trip to your time on the island, and it shows throughout. We recommend it without hesitation, and can't wait until we can get there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in South Water Caye

Been to Off The Wall Dive Center & Resort? Share your experiences!