“WOW!! These reviews were right on, an amazing place!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Off The Wall Dive Center & Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glovers Reef Atoll
Off The Wall Dive Center & Resort
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
UK
“WOW!! These reviews were right on, an amazing place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We came here for a week in March. What a surprise this place turned out to be. Kendra and Jim, the managers have thought of everything. They really take the time to look over the fish book with you or even swim out in search of an elusive species. The rooms are rustic and each feels secluded, but are well maintained and right on the sea. They have three delicious home cooked meals a day. Snorkeling out in the front of the hotel is amazing. We saw a nurse shark on one of our trips. Diving is good as well. We saw logger head turtles and a dolphin one day. The only slight negative comment would be towards their slightly uninterested DMs. When asked where their favorite site was, the answer: a new site, just down the wall from the last one you dove. I would have liked to venture out a bit more with the diving. We loved this place!! I would highly recommend a trip to a diver or snorkeler. They have SUPs and kayaks as well to pass the afternoons.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bob99962

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

Off the Wall Dive Resort was absolutely amazing. It was the most relaxed, fun vacation with 2 or more dives everyday, even a great night dive. The staff was wonderful, all the way from the owners, Jim and Kendra, to dive-master, Tyron, dive instructor, Doreth.... Tyrone is an excellent guide and makes sure that you don't touch the coral and reefs that provide us with so much beauty under the ocean, he watches out to make sure everybody is safe and following the plan. Doreth, the dive instructor who certified our teenagers, (he went on one of the dives with us and speared a couple of lion fish and fed it to the 4 foot long barracuda that trailed us during the entire dive, very exciting) the fantastic cook, she provided us with many great meals, nobody ever went hungry. We loved the fresh squeezed juices and the homemade everything. Juan is so friendly and likes to talk about everything and takes jogs around the atoll to keep in shape. Tony, our boat driver made sure we got into and out of the boat safely, even myself, who had a “sick” arm as he would say. We came down there with our two teenagers, 18 year old girl and 15 year old boy and they both claimed it was the best trip/adventure they had been on, and we do a lot of trips/adventures. With only 10 guests at a time for the week long trip, we felt like we got to know some of the people who were there for the same week, Dave the doctor and his son Kai, (it was their second trip to the atoll), Jeremy, the musician and cute little Betsy with her baby bump! from Martha’s Vineyard, etc. The accommodations were wonderful, we had our own cabana/palapa, kids on one side, us on the other. They were simple and green and incredible. 2 nights we had rain and it pounded on the tin roof, it was awesome, We loved the open air, no screens, no bugs, cabanas. The outdoor showers were great. The toilet system, well, OK, but this is what they have to do to be environmentally responsible, not bad, but...

Overall, the best vacation ever, we will return someday! Thanks Jim and Kendra!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lisapetersenmay
Daly City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

This trip was *amazing*. However, if you want daily maid service, or to be waited on hand and foot, or go partying at night, this is not the place for you. Here's what this place was for us:

- Extraordinarily friendly and warm staff who are all exceptional at their jobs and truly enjoy working at OTW. We loved talking soccer (aka football) with Mario at mealtimes, drinking coconut water from coconuts that Junior or Juan would cheerfully get for me, learning how to make tortillas with Eileen.

- Kendra and Jim are truly exceptionally caring and fun people who have created an adventure of an island. They both have the BEST stories!!! I loved how both would hang out with us at meal times, and Kendra would graciously answer my millions of questions that I'm sure she gets asked every week. We loved Jim's infectious spirit and enthuasiasm, and his prankster nature.

- The diving is terrific. Nothing beats a <5 min boat ride to an incredible drop-off wall. Matthew spots a lot of interesting fish (TWO scorpionfish next to each other on a rock!) and is great to dive with. We originally planned to only do a scuba-diver certification with Doreth, but it was so fun we decided to do the full open water certification after all. Doreth is a great instructor -- calm, reassuring, thorough. We saw the most enormous lobsters, moray eels, stingrays, barracuda, turtles (loggerhead + hawksbill). Seeing Matthew take out lionfish with his sling/spear was neat too. We traveled the last week of March (full moon) and didn't hit the whale shark jackpot, but seeing the moon shine off the water at night was amazing.

- The food, oh my goodness I miss the food. It's homey and comforting and filling. If you turn your nose up at rice/beans, don't come here. I love rice and beans. The shrimp was amazing. Eileen's tortillas and pastries are miraculous. I made tortillas with Eileen. I'd ask "how much baking powder goes in?" and she'd smile benignly and say "enough", and sprinkle it in from the can, no measuring. Best tortillas ever in my life.

- Juicing oranges/grapefruits for the best juice ever. Some people brought their own liquor and made great cocktails using the fresh juice.

- Lounging on the wraparound porch of our cabana. We appreciated that throughout the day, there was always a shady spot on the porch with comfy chairs to lounge in while sipping our cold Cokes/Fantas.

- Composting toilets and outdoor showers are part of the adventure! My husband and I enjoyed walking out to the bathroom late at night, shining our flashlights in front of us to see hermit crabs scurrying around, or seeing huge orange or blue crabs scuttling into their holes on the side of the path.

- Going to bed and waking up to the sound of the ocean. Walking out the door in the morning and seeing the beautiful ocean stretch in front of the cabana.

- The wildlife viewings are spectacular, not counting what you see diving/snorkeling. Pelicans dive for fish off the docks. Giant iguanas lounging. Anoles leaping around (and eating bugs, yay!). Every night we'd take a flashlight out to the pier and look in the water, and sightings included a 6 ft shark, baby stingrays, squid, and needlefish. The osprey nest platform is awesome, and we saw osprey hunting and flying around with fish. A lot of migratory birds rest on the island too. I miss brushing my teeth and hunting for crabs at the same time!

All the positive things that past reviewers have said is true. I felt like I was hanging out with a giant family that became our new friends by the end of the first day. It was an amazing, eco-friendly natural wildlife paradise. I can't wait to go back and hang out with Jim and Kendra some more!

5 Thank Corinne C
offthewallbelize, Owner at Off The Wall Dive Center & Resort, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
C and D- Thanks so much for such a thorough and wonderful review of your stay with us. We are glad you had such a wonderful time exploring nature on our little oasis. We enjoyed searching for nightly sea creatures with you off the dock and under the stars, sharing stories at meal times, and sharing your excitement of getting certified to scuba dive at such a great location. We loved having you here, and are happy to have added you to our family at Off The Wall. We hope to see you again soon! - Kendra and Jim
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

I have been telling people that it's like being plucked from home and dropped onto a magical, enchanted island. I really am not usually this cheesy, but I loved it so much! Loved the little (but not too little) cabanas w/ windows and doors on all sides to catch the ocean breezes, the white sheets and curtains, the chaise lounges placed all over, including near, but not too near the osprey nest (with baby ospreys!), swinging double beds outside, lanterns and tikki torches at night, stars which were just a-maz-ing, and sand paths w/ tons of hermit crabs and iguanas. The staff and owners were lovely - friendly, funny, kind, accomodating, and professional. The diving and snorkeling were great, itinerary low key w/ one of the owners asking every morning at breakfast who wanted to do what and making sure everybody got to do what they wanted. And, it was okay not to do anything, very easy to do in such a soothing and beautiful place.
The food was excellent, all cooked by the very kind Eileen. It tended toward Belizean and Central American food, lots of coconut, pinneapple, fish, rice and beans. Eileen is a stand-out w/ sweets -- there was this one lemon meringue pie w/ a coconut crust...

A few notes - Kendra, who is one of the owners and fantastic about pre-vacation communication via e-mail, does let you know that you can buy liquor at duty free on the way in, if you want something other than rum. I would do this next time, just b/c I ended up a little tired w/ a sweet rum drink every night.
Another note is that while this is an absolutely beautiful place, if may not be for everyone. It's casual and laid back. If you like your room cleaned every day, want to eat off a menu, or like to take 25 minute hot showers, you should probably skip it. If on the other hand, you are okay doing the occasional sand sweep of your room, should you be so inclined, love buffet dinners where guests and and staff all eat together, and are okay w/ an occasional rinse of fresh water in a beautifully tiled outdoor shower, you'd be good to go.

4 Thank Caroline D
Edgewood, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

A truly unique dive and vacation experience. This island is out of the mainstream, quiet, very natural and entirely relaxing! Jim and Kendra have really created a special place. The open air ocean front huts are comfortable and beautiful. We enjoyed sleeping to the sound of the waves and feeling the breeze. The staff were all very friendly and good at what they do! Jim and Kendra were very helpful and informative with the planning of the trip, the cooking was great, the dive masters were informative and safe and boat driver was helpful and professional. The diving opportunities were fantastic but we also spent a lot of time snorkeling around the reef on our own, which is easy to do on both sides of the island.
I am impressed by the conservation of the natural resources on this tiny island and appreciate the owner's thoughtfulness on not over developing. Expect communal ( and lovely) open air showers with solar heated rain water, communal composting toilet, simple but charming grounds, and an open air palapa dining area. Don't expect exciting nightlife (unless you count the night dive!), stress, restaurants, etc.
The week went fast and left my husband and I wondering when we could come back...

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kathryn S
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I just spent a memorable week on Long Caye with a wonderful group of people. There were 8 guests and 8 staff, including the lovely owners. Eileen cooked 3 fresh and delicious meals each day.
Although a small and cozy island, it is surrounded by the most beautiful turquoise waters, and shallow coral reefs perfect for snorkeling. Matthew the dive master guided us around in the water to discover rays, eels, sharks, and my new favorite, the Bat fish, plus so much more.
There were kayaks and paddleboards to explore the prettiest water I have ever seen. There is a yoga deck where your gaze takes you out past all walls and into the infinity pool of an ocean. Kendra and Jim manage an incredible place here.
I appreciated the opportunity to bond and share stories, adventures, meals and libations with guests and staff from many different places who happened to come together for a perfect week at Off the Wall.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Sierrakat
Thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are thrilled that you had such a wonderful time at our resort, with the other guests and with our staff. We enjoyed having you here, it was a really fun week with great stories, and lots of laughter. We are happy that you enjoyed the yoga deck, kayaks, paddle boards and snorkeling around our gorgeous reef as well as our meals. We hope to see you again. -Kendra and Jim
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I spent a perfectly blissful, fun week at off the Wall in early February. Jim and Kendra and are incredible hosts. Before our trip, we emailed Jim and Kendra several times, always receiving quick, really informative replies. We had planned to go to OTW in December, but ended up buying a new home in November, which put a kink in our travel plans. They were kind enough to allow us to change our travel dates so that we wouldn't be having to leave home in the midst of settling into our new house! On getting to OTW, we immediately felt welcome - Jim and Kendra are both really warm, open people and Jim's sense of humor is quite memorable!

Once on the island, it was quickly apparent that we were in for an amazing week! The island is small (probably about a mile around) and the resort only accommodates up to 10 guests at a time. There is another resort on the other half of the island that has up to 35ish guests at once. The guest cabanas are all spotless and stocked with a hammock and chairs on the deck, books, towels, yoga mats, candles and oil lanterns (candles and lanterns are the primary source of light at night, to conserve electricity). The cabanas are facing the sea, promising an amazing view, the sound of the sea at night and plenty of privacy from other guests.

Scattered around the resort are hanging beds facing the sea (easily the best idea since sliced bread!), hammocks, sea kayaks, paddleboards, etc. There are also trails for running and moseying.

The diving here is AMAZING!! OTW started out as a dive shop and then morphed into a resort, so diving is really the heart and soul. Jim and the dive masters know every nook and cranny in the reefs, often have a story to tell about each dive site and are experts on the critters. The dive equipment is all in great condition and the dive master and boat captain take excellent care of all the divers. Our dive master (Matthew) is AWESOME! This was the first diving I'd done since my certification and I felt comfortable during all our dives. Matthew was attentive before and during each dive and pointed out incredible sights on every dive! I know it's going to be a little disappointing to dive anywhere else after this, simply because this is some of the best diving anywhere. The water is really clear and the variety of creatures is amazing (moray eels, rays, dolphins, sharks, fish big and small and on and on.)

All of the other OTW staff are also friendly and great at what they do. Eileen (the cook) is not only awesome in the kitchen but also a hoot! I highly recommend her fresh, homemade tortillas. Meals are taken together and are served buffet style. I don't think anyone walked away from a meal hungry, but just in case, there were always always cookies, grapefruits and oranges (for juicing) to snack on.

The vibe on the island is low-key, relaxed, fun. The sort of place where time stands still and you leave feeling both energized and really well-rested. I can't wait until we can go back again!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
#1 of 1 in Negroman

Been to Off The Wall Dive Center & Resort? Share your experiences!