“second trip better than the first!”
Review of Turneffe Flats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turneffe Island
Turneffe Flats
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We visited T Flats in 2008 and went back the 2nd week of December 2012. We had so much fun. They have made some improvements since we were there last. The cabanas have all been remodeled with very nice bathrooms, the decks are double the size and the fronts have been replaces with floor to ceiling windows looking at the ocean. They also extended the deck in front of the mai lodge and added a pool, which I used most days.

My husband fished everyday. He requested Dubs, whom he had last time. He had a great trip again, and I was so glad that Abel was still there for the Atoll Advenutre program. Abel is the best snorkeling guide ever. He dives down so deep. I don't know how he holds his breath for so long. He will find something, and get your camera and dive down with it and take hald a dozen photos then come back for someone else's camera. He knows where everyone is at all times and makes sure everyone is fine. even when we had 12 people, he was very attentive and did a great job.

The staff is all very nice. We enjoyed it when one of the employees sat at our table at dinner. The food was good. We would have liked more local Belizean food and fresh fish and seafood. I can make my own lasagna at home. But on the whole everything was good. The packed lunches were good. They have several choices of sandwiches, salads and wraps. the wraps were best made with homemade tortillas. And with chicken salad was really good.

I'm sure we will be back again in a few years. we had the best time.

Tip: If you are prone to bug bites, like I am, take something with a high % of DEET I was using 25-30% and I got a lot of bites (mostly sand fleas).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MelissaAk

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We brought our whole family of four older teenagers here the week after christmas. Three scuba divers and three adventurer/snorkelers. This place sits on the edge of the world and you will be very lucky if you get to see it. The resort has such a gloriously isolated location. The scuba was great for our beginning through advanced divers. The PADI divemasters are very competent and safe. And they took great care of our gear. For the snorkeling adventurers, Abel is the greatest guide! He takes pride in this amazing place and really likes to share the unique creatures and ecosystems with us. His knowledge is deep. And the fishing seemed to completely satisfy the hard core fishermen at the resort--one made the grand slam of bonefish, permit, and tarpon all in one day. This is also a great place to just sit and relax with your Kindle. Plenty of shade under palm trees around the pool. Bugs weren't too much of a problem--there was enough breeze, but if you want to explore the edges of the jungle looking for crocs and snakes, be sure to bring bug juice. Our rooms were completely bug free and we enjoyed the air conditioning. There were a few storms with rain/wind blowing through. The rain never lasted long and we liked experiencing the intensity. I understand from Abel the dry season would be more humid, so glad we were there in rainy season. And i have to mention the absolutely wonderful food! Also they are very accommodating with special needs in the kitchen. Every day the staff provided us with three well planned meals--many with local flavor. We enjoyed them all. Our rooms were very clean, serviced daily, and I appreciated the laundry service. I say get here if you can!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden Villa which is back from the water but has a nice large living area for the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SBPNWtraveler
Reviewed 6 January 2013

note: i was here ~10 years ago. i stayed in a cottage listening to the waves. i came with my friend who was scuba diving. i snorkeled. dining was relaxed and fun; nice staff; remote; quiet; easy transfer (boat ride) from airport to island; very reasonable$$$

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I brought my wife and two college aged kids for a couple of days of R & R at Turneffe Flats after 5 days in the Belizean jungle and it was the perfect way to end our Christmas vacation. The staff knew our names from the beginning and treated us like family. They handled our dietary needs to address food allergies without making a fuss over it. Although we were on the Atoll Advanture package, my son and I asked if we could fly-fish and the Chris and Paul made it happen - not insignificant considering it was high season and we gave no advance notice. We landed our first bonefish and had a wonderful fly-fishing experience with our ever-patient guide Mike. We snorkeled the second day with Abel on a pristine coral reef - easily the most spectacular snorkeling we've experienced. We stayed in a beachfront cabana which, while not opulent, was clean and confortable. The food was excellent with new selections each meal. One of the special asects to Turneffe Flats is the social nature of the place - there is a lively happy hour before supper each day where fishing tales and adventures are traded. We made some good friends during our stay there. This is the kind of place that serious anglers and outdoors-loving couples and families can all enjoy. I hope for a return visit soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jpsmcs
Reviewed 25 December 2012

My wife and I just returned from spending a week (December 8-15) at Turneffe Flats Lodge. It is a beautiful spot! About a third of the guests were scuba divers and something over a third were there to fish. The rest did the Adventure Tour. For us, it was a return visit as we were there the previous December. Both trips were spectacular! (The owners (Craig & Karen)) mentioned that about 50% of the guests that week were return clients.) As before, I landed quite a few bonefish on a fly rod, though none were larger than 5 lbs and most were in the 2-3 lb range. Most of the bonefish are caught while wade fishing on the flats. I also landed my first permit (20 lbs) on a fly, though I played another 6 or 7 during the course of a week. All of the permit fishing was done while poling in a flats boat. I used Daniel as my guide on both trips and I would not hesitate to use him again. Daniel knows what he is doing, whether he is poling a flats boat or standing beside me while wading. He has a great pair of eyes for spotting fish. (BTW, December is not a good month for tarpon fishing. The tarpon are not active. If you do choose to chase tarpon, bring an intermediate line. April or May represent the start of good tarpon fishing.) While I was fly fishing, my wife and other spouses were out with Abel on the Lodge's Adventure Tour (snorkeling, sea kayaking, bird watching, etc.) As before, Abel did an outstanding (my wife would say amazing) job of showing off the Turneffe Atoll. The accommodations are modern, air conditioned, clean and comfortable. I would characterize them as being much nicer than many of the Caribbean resorts (including in Belize) I have visited. If you need a wifi connection, that is available in the main lodge. The staff and owners (Craig & Karen) make it evident that they want their guests to have a wonderful time during their stay. We'll be back at some future date.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the sea side cabana rooms. We had room #5 and it offers a great view, though virtual...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank JMR33397
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We wanted to try a new place for a week of SCUBA diving and we are so glad we selected this place. It is absolutely beautiful and first class all the way. The service from the dive staff and from the hotel staff and management was outstanding. We were a bit concerned that this place would cater mostly to fishermen, but were very pleased that the diving experience was so great. The food was excellent and they cater to needs of all the guests, if necessary. Food is served at the table (not a buffet, like most places) and the service was terrific. The rooms have been renovated fairly recently and are very attractive and comfortable. The cabanas on the beach have lovely verandahs, with comfortable furnishings to relax after a day of great diving.Beautiful landscaping and pool top it all off! We would highly recommend Turneffe Flats for your dive vacation!

Room Tip: We loved the cabanas, right on the beach. We traveled with another couple and shared the duplex wit...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2012

T Flats is an amazing place with a wonderful program. This has become one of my favorite trips and I recommend them to our clients on a regular basis. The fishing is great, the SCUBA and amazing, and for those folks that don’t like either of those activities they have plenty of other options. In addition to the good food and great staff they are also environmental conscience and are working hard to be responsible stewards to this amazing environment. We at Down East Guide Service spend a lot of time providing excellent customer service and high quality adventures for our clients and the folks at T Flats offer all that and more. This is a really special place and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 2 in St. George's Caye
The Great House
The Great House
#2 of 26 in Belize City

Been to Turneffe Flats? Share your experiences!