My wife and I just returned from our second visit to Turneffe Flats (TF) and the second visit was just as outstanding as the first. We have been to Belize 8 or 9 times, and our experiences at TF have been our best.
Why do we like TF so much?
1. It is located in Turneffe Atoll, where you will experience the best diving in Belize without a long boat ride from Belize City or Ambergris Caye (San Pedro). Lighthouse Reef (location of the famous Blue Hole and Half Moon Caye) are within an hour boat ride of TF. Each time we have been to TF, we have spent one day diving/exploring Lighthouse reef.
2. Lots of personal attention for divers and non-divers. During our first visit, we had 6 divers on the boat (a Pro 48) and during our second visit we had 2 divers. No large crowds here. The boat captain and the dive master were excellent. They do everything for you, including loading, unloading, and washing all your gear. My wife is a non-diver, so she chose the Atoll Adventure (AA) package. Together with 1-3 other guests, they snorkeled and explored the area. Abel, the guide who leads the AA group is very knowledgeable and customer focused. My wife loves not having to sit on the beach while I dive, there is always something for her to do, and it is all included in the package.
3. If you are a fisherman, TF is considered one of the premier fishing lodges in the world. I personally have not fished there, but it was obvious that the fishermen were well taken care of by top notch guides.
4. All the staff at TF is excellent. The owner-operators, Craig and Karen are very hands-on and have developed a group of long-term employees that are very loyal and good at what they do. It feels like you are with family, not at a hotel. You eat all your meals in a communal dining area and it really feels like you are at an adult summer camp with family.
5. TF is very serious about environmental protection, which is not true for all of the lodges in the area. They sponsor a non-profit designed to study and preserve the atoll.
6. The food is absolutely outstanding, something that is usually not true at all-inclusive resorts. My wife is a vegetarian, and they always accomodated her special requests. Evening appetizers are a big hit as you sit around and compare notes from the day's activities, drink a Belikin beer or the night's special cocktail, and play board games with your fellow guests and/or the staff.
7. This is a small scale operation, with no more than 30 guests at any given time. Everyone pretty much arrives and leaves on the same day.
Bottom Line: TF is well known as a fishing lodge, but it is also an excellent choice for diving/snorkeling. I have been diving all over the world, and some of the best was done within 30 minutes boat ride of TF. If you want an active vacation: fishing, diving or an offshore eco-adventure, you should seriously consider TF. If you are looking for a place to bar hop, shop, or bring young children, then this is not for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be Pampered in Paradise! Turneffe Flats has long been recognized as one of Belize's premier saltwater fly fishing, SCUBA diving and marine eco-tourism destinations. Located on the incredibly beautiful Turneffe Atoll, we specialize in superior service for a limited number of guests. Awaken in your air-conditioned beachfront cabana to a tropical Caribbean seascape, expansive bonefish flats, and surf breaking over the reef. We are ideally located to enjoy Turneffe's 250 square miles of world-class fishing flats, coral reefs and rich marine life. At Turneffe Flats we offer guests unparalleled guiding and service, along with the freedom to fish and dive the entire Turneffe Atoll at the best sites. Additionally, our unique Atoll Adventure program is a fantastic option for families and couples. This renowned program offers daily guided snorkeling, wildlife sightseeing, and eco-tours that are both fun and educational for everyone! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Turneffe Flats Hotel Turneffe Islands
- Turneffe Flats Islands
- Turneffe Flats Hotel Islands