As a small resort dedicated to snorkeling and diving, Blackbird Caye provides skillful crew, guides, and 'back of the house' staff. Their attentive care, especially important to me as recovering from limited mobility, even included a snack to tide me over from missed breakfasts, and coffee and tea are available all day. My week was among the quietest of the year, with only 20 quests, including three of us single women.
The resort is collaborating with the nearby Oceanic Society's research station on a master plan for sustainability of the island's resources. Water is provided by the island's desalination plant and powered by an on-site generator. At present the resort's capacity is about forty on three- or seven-night dive and snorkel packages. Its limited footprint leaves room for bird watching, nature walks, and star gazing. If it is able to resist pressures for expansion it will continue to be the jewel of Belize's ecotourism sites.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blackbird Caye is a privately owned Island sitting on The Mesoamerican Reef System - often referred to as the "Jewel of the Caribbean" - it is the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere with a rich tapestry of vivid corals, mangrove forests, coastal wetlands, and diverse marine wildlife. Within the reef you will find Turneffe Atoll the Caye where the resort is located. Turneffe is the largest and most biologically diverse of the 3 atolls found in the Caribbean home to more than 65 species of stony coral, 350 species of mollusk, and more than 500 species of fish, manatees, dolphins and invertebrates. There are over 70 dives sites all within 10-15 minutes from the resort and 45 minutes to Lighthouse Reef where The Great Blue Hole is located. The resort is made of 19 modern cabanas facing the Caribbean Sea and 1 beach house. The cabanas are all equipped with A/C, fans, private bathrooms, either King or Queen Beds with new comfortable bedding, private porches with chairs and swinging hammocks. Included in the price are your cabana, 3 daily meals, dive or snorkel package, complimentary transfers to the island on Wednesdays and Saturdays and use of the resort's kayaks. We are the only resort on Turneffe with an air strip making it convenient to arrive or depart any other day of the week. Our courteous and helpful staff will always make you feel at home as customer service ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Blackbird Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blackbird Caye Hotel Turneffe Islands
- Blackbird Caye Belize City