We stayed a week in March 2005 and loved it. The place will appeal to nature lovers who seek a pristine environment and lots of time in, and on, the water. A dive package was $1,695 per person while the snorkel package was $1,495. The diving, snorkeling, and fishing were wonderful and the staff worked hard seeing to it that every guest got many opportunities to have a great time. Considering the resort's remoteness, the level of comfort was impressive. Potable hot & cold running water, reliable air conditioning, and excellent housekeeping and maintenance made staying there an effortless joy.
My chief criticism is that when the resort is full it is definitely understaffed. During our last few days every bed was occupied. The staff made valiant, but not always successful, efforts to accommodate so many people. I noticed the resort is building new cabanas while keeping the central dining facility unchanged. This does not bode well, in my opinion.
Lastly, the food was just OK. Sort of Holiday Inn standard--not much more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blackbird Caye is a privately owned Island sitting on The Mesoamerican Reef System - often referred to as the "Jewel of the Caribbean" - it is the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere with a rich tapestry of vivid corals, mangrove forests, coastal wetlands, and diverse marine wildlife. Within the reef you will find Turneffe Atoll the Caye where the resort is located. Turneffe is the largest and most biologically diverse of the 3 atolls found in the Caribbean home to more than 65 species of stony coral, 350 species of mollusk, and more than 500 species of fish, manatees, dolphins and invertebrates. There are over 70 dives sites all within 10-15 minutes from the resort and 45 minutes to Lighthouse Reef where The Great Blue Hole is located. The resort is made of 19 modern cabanas facing the Caribbean Sea and 1 beach house. The cabanas are all equipped with A/C, fans, private bathrooms, either King or Queen Beds with new comfortable bedding, private porches with chairs and swinging hammocks. Included in the price are your cabana, 3 daily meals, dive or snorkel package, complimentary transfers to the island on Wednesdays and Saturdays and use of the resort's kayaks. We are the only resort on Turneffe with an air strip making it convenient to arrive or depart any other day of the week. Our courteous and helpful staff will always make you feel at home as customer service ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Blackbird Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blackbird Caye Hotel Turneffe Islands
- Blackbird Caye Belize City