“Island Time”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
London
“Island Time”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Spent a week here recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.....though no one else's review seems to have mentioned the time zone change!! It's not officially a different time zone, but island time is +1 from Belize.

We had a basic room which was more than adequate. Loved the outdoor shower, in fact it was the only one I used. Aircon/fan are both good, bed comfy, plenty of towels and shower products. Tea/coffee was delivered at 6.30am every morning which at home would seem too much but actually I thoroughly enjoyed wandering by the sea with my cup of coffee watching the sun rise.

Dining is communal and I really thought I would struggle with this but I didn't at all - we had a good group of people on the island and became quite tight knit over the course of the week. Meals are served 3 times a day and whilst a lot of people raved about the food, I would say it is a bit more on the average side [a caveat to this being that I do all my own cooking so am often underwhelmed]. Portions were good though and I ate everything I was given! Highlight of the week was the Friday BBQ. Fruit, cookies and hot/cold drinks were available all day as well so you never went hungry. Alcoholic drinks were a little on the expensive side [$6.50 beer/$7.50 glass if wine] but you are on an island and you are a captive audience. It would be nice though if they could offer an all-inclusive add on drinks package as it does add up.

Weather was good all week with changeable seas. Blue hole trip went ahead as planned and is recommended even if you just go for the day out. Snorkelling with Carlos on a day to day basis was a joy and he really is an asset to their operation.

All in all, we had a great time and were looked after very well. The staff/management out there seem like one big family and we felt that we had become part of it for the week. Smiles and pleasantries were genuine and you really felt that they wanted you to be there. We also made, hopefully, some new acquaintances.

Room Tip: If you have a basic room, try for one toward the dive shop - they are only on one level, the others...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mynameisalwaystaken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Michigan
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We actually stayed here in December of 2012. But having taken another dive vacation at a different resort since then, I felt compelled to write the review I should have done right after staying there. In 7 years of dive trips, this was by far the best, in every aspect. Diving, accomodations, beauty, service, dive team, food, atmosphere, etc. I can honestly say we didn't have any complaints about the resort, and if we could afford it we would return in a heartbeat. That's high praise indeed since my dive vacation wish list is quite long, and I've never felt tempted to return to any of the numerous beautiful places we've been.

2 Thank loreenie
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Just returned from 4 nights at TIR. This was my third visit in 6 years. The Lodge caters primarily to scuba divers and a handful of fly fishers. It's located 35 miles off the coast on a 19 acre island. (They provide your transportation to and from the Belize City airport.) The Resort vibe is very laid back. The accommodations are quite comfortable, very clean and are situated right on the pristine beach. The food is primarily Belizean cuisine which is simple but well prepared. The average staff tenure is more than 10 years and they are very accommodating. I fly fish and this time my brother joined me for scuba. He said the dives were great and the dive masters were very good. The trip to the Blue Hole was terrific and his 130' deep dive was memorable. I've had the same fishing guide for all three visits and he's terrific. We were hunting bonefish and permit and waded and poled the flats continuously for three days. He's extremely knowledgeable and put me into many fish. The flats boats are powered by Yamaha engines and are in excellent condition. I recommend the Lodge for both sports and will return again. The only issues I had related to the communication between the booking office in Houston and the on-site management team -- there is room for improvement. Otherwise, take a few days at TIR and you'll return with a mellow glow inside and out.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a cabana (aka villa) is well worth the investment. The screened porch enables you to l...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank dfund
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 January 2014

this is a special, wonderful place! not TOO much to do if you dont scuba dive (theres beautiful beach and massages). But if you dive this is heaven :) the reefs arent the MOST beautiful in the world in Belize but they are Gorgeous and special. it's all first class stuff for sure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jls314
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for his 30th birthday. We purchased the week long diving packaged and had a wonderful time.

The staff bent over backwards to make sure that everything from our room to our food and dive trips were perfect. Because it is a small intimate setting, we got to know the staff and the other guests that were staying the same week very well and although we had a lot of alone time, we had a great time with everyone else.

The couple that manages the resort are really great at hosting and are a blast to get to know. Jorge, the bartender is a hoot and can show you endless card tricks, dice tricks, etc. Someday I will take him to Vegas with me. Daniel our Dive Master took us to a different spot everyday and always found something really cool and different. My boyfriend had actually left his Go Pro battery and charger at home, and Daniel let him borrow his for the whole week.

They literally took care of every need and every want and it was truly sad to leave. I would love to go back and recommend this to anyone that is looking for luxury and an adventure.

4 Thank Bursa57
West Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Went with a group of 18 for a 7 day dive trip. Accomodations were perfect...all with a view of the Western Carribean. A short walk to the dive boats where the gear was expertly assembled. 5 minute boat ride to some of the best carribean diving. Food was excellent with snacks available all day, family dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Deserts were spectacular. Staff was friendly and accomodating. George, the bartender, was very entertaining. I would gladly return again for another week of relaxing diving.

Room Tip: no bad choice for rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank pvgas
Prata di Pordenone, Italy
Reviewed 15 December 2013

When I start looking for a place to travel to, I always check out the bad reviews first. That already eliminates a lot of places. Turneffe island resort didn’t have any recent negative reviews and I can’t add any either. This was a dream vacation, probably the best one we’ve ever had; and we have been to some awesome places. What made this trip special is mainly the set up; the way all meals are served to get started. It is unlike any other place we’ve ever been to. Everyone eats together at breakfast (7:30), lunch (12:30) and dinner (19:30). First we thought this would be a nuisance, but everything else is organized around those ‘feeding’ times so there was no problem. When we were there, there were roughly 20 – 25 guests eating family style at 3 tables. It was easy to talk to everyone. Every meal you’d sit somewhere else so got to meet everybody. Already on the second day it felt more like a family reunion than like a bunch of strangers meeting by chance. Most guests are from the USA so it helps if you speak (some) English; otherwise you might feel isolated. – Food was delicious! No buffet, but set meals served on platters. You could take as much as you wanted. There was always a breakfast special like waffles or pancakes. Eggs were prepared as you wanted. Cold and hot cereal, yogurt and fruit; all was available. You’d get coffee, tea or juice delivered to your room at roughly 6:30 a.m. together with a little note stating what would be served for lunch. My husband doesn’t eat fish or chicken but management and staff were very accommodating in substituting for him. Thank you Maya and Alan!
At around 6 p.m. pretty much everyone gathers around the bar, where George the barman awaits you with a smile and a lot of card tricks and such. George did a wonderful job entertaining everyone. Beware that drinks are not included in the AI deal! You really can’t help yourself, though, weather is good and you are at the bar with old friends it seems, so you drink more than you ordinarily would. At 6:30 appetizers are served. All of them were really yummy!
You should know that you don’t necessarily need to bring body lotion, shampoo, soap or conditioner. There is plenty in the bathroom of really good quality and is restocked daily. You should, however, bring bug repellent. There are sand flies that do bite. It is not so bad that it will ruin your vacation, but there is that occasional bite. Beds have mosquito nets, which helps.
I brought a clothes line and some clothes pins to hang up wet clothes; there is no rack. I always throw a few extra metal hangers in my suitcase as well as usually there aren’t enough in the closet. I used all of mine this time also. One thing that was missing in the bathroom was a toilet brush that apparently for hygienic reasons they cannot put in every bathroom. I asked for one; no problem!
We were on the island for 11 nights from Sat to Wed. In hindsight, we’d been better off staying from Wed to Sat. That way we could have enjoyed the Friday bbq and subsequent party twice. When we were there, we had a spontaneous pool party which was so much fun!!
Diving: it was spectacular! We’ve never been this pampered, ever. The dive staff does everything for you. You will find your gear on the boat ready to go. All you need to think of is wet suit, mask, fins and computer. Drinking water is on the boat as are towels. After the dive, you just inflate your BCD and take it off in the water. John, the captain, will lift it into the boat. Really helps with the knees! Thank you John! Dives really are for everyone. Even beginners felt comfortable diving the sites. There hardly is any current. Nitrox is not free! It is $149 for a week. First time we ever had to pay for that.
Daniel was our dive master. I have officially made him my favorite one. He was simply great! It was my husband’s birthday last week and I had brought with me an inflatable birthday cake. I had no idea if it could be inflated under water, but Daniel made it work somehow and made this birthday a very special one. The cake is in the dive shop now for whoever else would like to use it ;-)
To sum it up, this is a fabulous place and we met some wonderful people there. We’re seriously considering going back.

Room Tip: we were in one of the private villas, V7. Lots of privacy
7 Thank Anna H
#2 of 2 in St. George's Caye
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Turneffe Island Resort? Share your experiences!