“beautiful spot and great diving”

Turneffe Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
New York City, New York
“beautiful spot and great diving”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Thank you all at Turneffe for a fantastic time. The island is beautifully and meticulously maintained. Lots of memorable touches show how much care is put into its operations: outdoor showers, cookies and tea all day, hot chocolate delivered to our children's room every morning... The entire crew was outstanding, and, while they don't host many young children, we haven't met a more caring and accommodating staff. Perfect if you have adventurous little snorkelers and you love to dive.

Room Tip: We loved our upstairs rooms. Lots of breeze!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank J D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We just came back from a week on beautiful Turneffe Island Resort - we want to take the opportunity to thank the resort and its staff for an amazing week.

As quite some things have been written before already (beautiful island, high standard of accommodation, great quality and variety of food, extremely friendly, flexible and competent staff - we can confirm all of this) we would like to point out two personal "highlights":

Belizes underwater world is world class. Beautiful, intact reefs. Rich maritime life from very small to scary big. Our highlight was a 15 minute "dance" with a family of dolphins. Very competent dive masters. Material is in an very good condition.

"Family Style Meals" - you'll have your meals sitting at big tables with other guests of the resorts. This was certainly a new experience but it turned out to be a unique opportunity to get to know the other guests, share the highlights of the day etc. and added a special, personal touch compared to other island resorts we have visited in past.

All in all a superb vacation destination. We will recommend Turneffe Island Resort further

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Freq_Trvl_1234
michigan
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We went third week in February . The weather was great, got a little windy a couple of days. The fishing was not very good on some days. The guides Eddie and Joe were great, they were very friendly and helpful. My husband went fishing and I stayed behind, was going to snorkel, but the day I wanted to go was to windy and it was canceled. They had a nice pool to lay out by and swim. I was there most days by myself. The guys came in for lunch every day and then went back for a few more hours till dinner. The food was very good. You got to see what was being cooked for the evening meal and if there was something that I did not like I just told them and they fixed it my way. Meals were served promptly at 7:30-12:30-7:30.
They rang a dinner bell also. Our week was not very busy, maybe 24 people until Wednesday and then there were only 9 of us. The managers Hadash and Tom were very nice and friendly and ate dinner with us every evening. It was a nice touch. Dinner was not family style as others had said. I guess they were trying something new, I liked it myself, I like plated dinners. You got dessert served with every meal. They had snacks during the day and iced tea and lemonade out all day. The only thing that I did not like was for being a all inclusive liquor and soda pop was not included. I knew this before have so I brought a Mio to put in my water to make juice. I don't drink pop. We go to Mexico a lot and everything is included all drinks and sodas in their all inclusive.. For the price of this resort it should be included. This may be the reason why the resort is not filling up, price goes up and not rewards. I will say WI Fi was included as it was extra before. So they are working on doing a little more. I don't think I would go back, as I would like to try other places around the world. It was very nice don't get me wrong, just not worth the money.
WE stayed in a Villa room and it was very nice, King bed with a couch and chair. Shower inside and outside, hubby used outside I used inside. Maids came twice a day and you had coffee brought to the room at 6 am.
The staff was very nice and all spoke English very well.
WE did not do blue hole as it was all day, would have like to go for a few hours and then back.
The grounds were kept up very nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sandyjoe
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We just got back from this incredible island. My wife and I were looking for great diving in a relaxed low key resort. What we experienced blew away all of our expectations. First of all, from the moment we booked we were treated to special attention. We were sent a questionnaire to fill out so that they could cater to our needs ( not that we had any, other than to dive and relax). We were met at the airport by a driver and his young son to take us to the dock. They brought us to the boat ( 45 ft cabin cruiser) that took us in style for the ride out to the island. The ride was a nice bonus. An hour west to the turneffe island resort. It was right out of a post card. The whole island is the resort. Everything there is there to pamper you. The whole staff greeted us off the boat. There was an orientation tour, our dive gear was taken to the dive area and every day it was set up and broken down for us. We just needed to step on the boat and enjoy. Thanks to marcella and marcel our dive crew. You were the best. The food was awesome. It was served family style, which was in line with the family feel of the resort. There was coffee set out for us on our porch each morning (just the way we take it because the asked) so we watched the sun rise from our chairs before breakfast. The dives were no more than 5-10 min away and were out of control. We saw a whale shark on our second dive. We swam with a pod of dolphins. There were so many eagle rays and turtles that I stopped filming. The trip to the blue hole was another fantastic day. The boat ride in the nice big boat made it. Some of the groups that showed up there came in tiny boats from the mainland. No thanks!! We had a first class picnic set out for us between dives and stole a nap in the shade. I got amazing shark videos on the second dive that day that even the dive masters wanted. Every dive was packed with wild life and the coral was beautiful. When not diving, we relaxed on one of the docks, watched the sun set, and relived the day's dives with the other guests. This is truly a special place that I will most definitely return to. Hats off to Ori for a fantastic time.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room. They all have sun rise views from your loungers, outdoor showers, and t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RandallBurba
Laval, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We spend a week there with a 17,14 and 11 year old. It was just fabulous! All the kids are divers, and the diving was just incredible , with a dolphin on the 2nd dive!!!! The trip to blue hole was so great that we went back on the Thursday( we paid for the boat) just to dive again at half moon cay. If you want to see sharks that's the place. Adas (sorry for mispelling) and Tom the new managers are doing an excellent job as well as Eddie. Georges alias chin chin the bartender was so nice with the kids. Marcella our dive master found everything for us underwater. Was worried for the single menu for the kids, they loved everything , it was very simple food but very fresh and tasty! We were staying in the brand new villa at the end of the island, we felt like we were alone on a lost island in the middle of the sea! Bar is not included as well as soft drinks for the kids!! Transfer from airport to the island very well organised. Overall very different vacation from what we are used to( we usually go to club med because of the kids) but we would go back anytime. We met very nice people and had a lot of fun!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Danielle B
Wyoming USA
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This lovely small island in the gulf off the coast of Belize is a little like stepping back in time . The rooms are all varnished wood and great views (pay a little more for a top floor), screened pordhes and indoor and outdoor showers. Scuba diving is according to those who dove, the best they had experinced. Snorkling is equally varied and remarkable. And fly fishing for bone fish is just as challenging as reputed. Worth the cost. Megan Seel Jan 2014

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Meganseel
London
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Spent a week here recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.....though no one else's review seems to have mentioned the time zone change!! It's not officially a different time zone, but island time is +1 from Belize.

We had a basic room which was more than adequate. Loved the outdoor shower, in fact it was the only one I used. Aircon/fan are both good, bed comfy, plenty of towels and shower products. Tea/coffee was delivered at 6.30am every morning which at home would seem too much but actually I thoroughly enjoyed wandering by the sea with my cup of coffee watching the sun rise.

Dining is communal and I really thought I would struggle with this but I didn't at all - we had a good group of people on the island and became quite tight knit over the course of the week. Meals are served 3 times a day and whilst a lot of people raved about the food, I would say it is a bit more on the average side [a caveat to this being that I do all my own cooking so am often underwhelmed]. Portions were good though and I ate everything I was given! Highlight of the week was the Friday BBQ. Fruit, cookies and hot/cold drinks were available all day as well so you never went hungry. Alcoholic drinks were a little on the expensive side [$6.50 beer/$7.50 glass if wine] but you are on an island and you are a captive audience. It would be nice though if they could offer an all-inclusive add on drinks package as it does add up.

Weather was good all week with changeable seas. Blue hole trip went ahead as planned and is recommended even if you just go for the day out. Snorkelling with Carlos on a day to day basis was a joy and he really is an asset to their operation.

All in all, we had a great time and were looked after very well. The staff/management out there seem like one big family and we felt that we had become part of it for the week. Smiles and pleasantries were genuine and you really felt that they wanted you to be there. We also made, hopefully, some new acquaintances.

Room Tip: If you have a basic room, try for one toward the dive shop - they are only on one level, the others...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
#16 of 31 in San Pedro
Blackbird Caye Resort
Blackbird Caye Resort
#3 of 3 in Turneffe Island

Been to Turneffe Island Resort? Share your experiences!