“Dive, Fish, Eat”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
Madison, South Dakota
“Dive, Fish, Eat”
Reviewed 3 March 2009

1 1/2 hour ride to Lodge from Belize City. Staff is very good. Food is WONDERFUL. Prepare to gaine weight. We dove there. One boat saw Hammerhead sharks; of course not us. Reef seems healthy. It was very windy, so diving the calmer spots was not as pristine.

• Stayed February 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Texas
Reviewed 3 November 2008

I was just thinking about our first-rate time at Turneffe Island Lodge this summer and decided that I must share my experience with anyone who is considering booking their holiday at Turneffe. My wife and I stayed at the lodge this summer and enjoyed the combo package (fishing and diving). From top to bottom the entire experience that Turneffe Lodge provided was outstanding. The accommodations were warm and beautiful. We opted for the private cabana on the far side of the island. The immaculate detail to the upkeep of the grounds was maintained for the duration of our stay.

The fishing at Turneffe Lodge was marvelous. From the experienced guides to the picturesque flats, I felt assured of my choice to stay at Turneffe. My goal was to capture the coveted “grand slam” but the bonefish, permit and tarpon had other plans for me! I managed to catch all three fish, but not on the same day. My guide knew the flats very well and was able to direct us very professionally.

When not on the flats during the day, we enjoyed fabulous diving. Turneffe Lodge excelled at the valet diving service. We were very thrilled to enjoy effortless diving! Our dive master knew so much about the dive sites and aquatic life. The vibrant reef around the island appears unscathed by humans, which was a major advantage.

Lastly, I must mention the food. Feeling hungry on the island is not an option. Delicious food is available all day – the daily snacks offered in the lounge are scrumptious in addition to the terrific feast-like meals. The sales office in Houston assured me that the holiday would be great and they were absolutely correct. My only complaint was that we did not stay long enough!

• Liked — Remoteness of the island
  • Stayed July 2008
6 Thank flyscubafish
Atlanta
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Our family of 5 (children aged 7, 9 and 11) had a blast at Turneffe Island Lodge. Although weather thwarted most of our fishing and snorkeling plans, we loved it anyway. The food was outstanding, the management and staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful, and the isolation of the island was divine. Beautiful clear water, lovely rooms and great fun meeting the other guests.
As avid fishermen (we booked fishing packages), we were a bit disappointed that fishing from the island was not permitted. We haven't encountered that policy at other fishing lodges in the Bahamas, Florida Keys or Central America.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank I.S.H.Atlanta
Portland
Reviewed 21 July 2008

My wife and I just returned from two weeks at TIL and loved every minute of it.

The Lodge picks up and drops off its guests on Wednesdays and Saturdays at the Princess Hotel Marina in Belize City. We flew into Belize City on a Friday so we spent the night at the Great House Hotel. it's not an understatement to say that Belize City isn't a great tourist destination, but I found it interesting and enjoyed the little bit of time we spent there by walking around downtown and talking to the locals.

The next day we were taken to the Marina, where we were met by Assistant Manager Jason and off we went. The boat ride takes about an hour and twenty minutes. We spent the time chatting with the other guests and crew. The entire TIL staff comes out to greet you at the dock and whisk away your luggage. The first thing you do there is re-set your watch as the Lodge is an hour ahead of Belize City, probably to match up with the front office Houston. Then you're shown to your room or cabana--we had asked for Cabana 8 as it's the last one down the line.

As noted in a review below, this place runs like a well-oiled machine. Managers Paul and Kelly along with Assistant Managers Jason and Karen work very hard to make everything look very easy. They did an orientation the first night and explained how things work, which went pretty much like this: meals every day at 7:30, 12:30 and 7:30. Snacks available at the lodge all day (going hungry really isn't an option here). Diving schedules announced daily, usually at dinner, with an emphasis on fun and relaxation. If you need something, just ask. They made it abundantly clear that our job was to be on vacation and that their job was to make our vacation as fun and relaxing as possible.

The community dining hall is a big plus as it turns meals into a big social club. Given that everyone there shares common interests in diving, fishing, beachcombing and/or goofing off, it is very easy to make friends with everyone.

Our divemaster and boat captain were Brad and Marcel, who rotate their jobs each week. These guys were large and in charge. They picked the dive sites. They gave great dive briefings, ending each one with "Let us see what is in store for us today. The pool is now open." They worked hard to find interesting things to see. They took care of all of our gear. In short, they were superb.

The same is true for the lodge staff at meal time. The meals were delicious. Not gourmet, but even better because it was good, hearty food every meal. The staff would position themselves on both sides of the room to keep an eye on us. If a pitcher of tea or a platter of food ran low, they would swoop down with a full one before you could ask. It's hard not to put on weight here.

Since we were there for two weeks, I went back to the mainland on the first Wednesday to check out the Belize Zoo. TIL took care of the arrangements so all I had to do was get on the boat. A guide met me at the dock, took me to the Zoo and brought me back to the dock in time for me to catch the boat back to the Lodge.

The Lodge also made arrangements for us to tour Altun Ha the day we left. Our flight didn't leave until 4 o'clock, which gave us plenty of time to check out the ruins. As Mayan ruins go, these aren't the most impressive ruins I've seen but it sure beat sitting around the airport.

We had a wonderful time and look forward to returning in the near future.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DowningB
France
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I can not tell you any other place to stay in Belize for a trip that includes Fly Fishing and Diving. We went online to [--] and found this property. I will come back again and again. From the sales staff to the island staff we had so much fun. Everything we expected from a good trip was exceeded. Thank you fo rth eboat transfer, it saved me the confussion of booking something else. I loved the care and knowledge of who we were.

JP Leblanc and Family

• Liked — Feel of an olde time lodge, with all the upgrades. Love the accommodations
  • Disliked — I would like to have stayed longer. Will be calling Houston again to book the island.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JPLEBLANC
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2008

My wife and I have taken several trips with a lot of scuba diving, including the Cayman Islands at the Ritz Carlton in April of this year, and this was our favorite all time trip
We flew into Belize City June 13th to stay for the evening as we could not get in on time to catch the Saturday boat. If at all possible, skip the night in Belize City, even if it means paying the $450 for a extra boat sent out from the island. Belize city is a dump and not worth staying in.

The boat trip out to the island is two very pleasant hours of getting to know the others we would be spending the week with. We were fortunate that only 12 people were on the island that week, and being we had reserved Cabana #8 which is the furthest from the main complex, and no one was in 1 through 7, it was like we had the entire beach to ourselves. My wife absolutely fell in love with this place. The diving was outstanding, the food great and the service far beyond what we had expected. Paul and Kelly run a very tight ship here, yet the staff all seemed to really enjoy their time with us. There is a pod of dolphins that hang around not too far from the dock and you often see them.

You would think that on a trip with no TV, phones, radio, etc, you might get bored. Not true at all. We had to fight to find free time from all of the scuba diving! Thisis a wonderfull trip if you like diving, fishing, or just snorkeling and want to be pampered with eveything else. The outdoor shower was great as well. We will go back here again and again.

Tom and Tracy, Grapevine, Texas

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomgrapevine
Cleburne, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2008

My wife and I were looking for a quick getaway and found Turneffe Island Lodge on the web. From arrival to departure, we never touched a bag and our every need was met. We loved the outdoor shower, hot coffee on our porch each morning, chocolate on our pillows every night. We are not divers, but snorkeled twice a day and shared the little boat and guide with another couple and we had a blast. The food was great esp. if you like fresh seafood, and we enjoyed visiting with the other guests. The lodge arranged a great guide to the Mayan ruins before our plane left for home. Next time we plan to be dive certified and stay for a whole week and hope to take our grown kids. The night life was limited and little kids might be bored.

• Liked — scenery/diving
  • Disliked — isolation/limited night life
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
#15 of 30 in San Pedro
Tree Tops Guesthouse
Tree Tops Guesthouse
#6 of 32 in Caye Caulker

Been to Turneffe Island Resort? Share your experiences!