“Very good resort undermined by fatigued management”

Turneffe Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
England
“Very good resort undermined by fatigued management”
Reviewed 12 June 2005

Diving - very good diving with competent, friendly dive masters. Most of the dives are genuinely within five minutes of the dock so surface intervals are spent on dry land and not on a (potentially) pitching boat. This is a good dive outfit.

Fishing - the guides undoubtedly know the water but that's about the extent of the guiding. Some are shy and/or quiet and take a little getting used to. Bonefish can be found but are very skittish and fished hard at. Lots of permit and it would definitely be worth bringing tarpon gear in the right months - lots of them in the mangrove lanes.

Food - as good as advertised and better!

Accommodation - We stayed in one of the cabanas on the beach. Very nice, very private. A/c a bit noisy. Outdoor shower lovely.

The management team were out on their feet during our visit and talked of having not had any time off in months. This showed sometimes. They also sometimes reverted to their mother tongue in front of guests - I feel that this is inappropriate. If it weren't for this Turneffe would be a definite recommend.

• Stayed June 2005
21 Thank Flaherty99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 15 November 2004

Wow! This resort was so much more than I expected. We booked a 4 night package, but before we had been on the island an hour we knew we'd be staying the whole week. Our week here was as fun and relaxing as 3-week-long vacations we have taken elsewhere.

The resort is on a tiny caye (only 14 acres) with big white sand beaches, far from any other development. The buildings are painted a quaint yellow and white with rich hardwood interiors. There is a nice lounge area just off the dining room with a full bar. The pool is very pretty, too. The pictures on the resort's website don't do justice to the fantastic cabanas because the screened porches don't look as open and airy as they really are, and the interiors look smaller than they are. The regular rooms are nice, too, and since we didn't spend a lot of awake-time in the cabana, we might be more frugal next time we go.

Socializing is a must because the number of guests is limited, meals are taken as a group, and the dive boats keep the same groups of 10 or so throughout the week. The bar hopped nightly, but only for a short time, as people tended to go to bed early after long activity-filled days. Most people were divers, but there were fishermen, too. Everybody was happy. Most of the 17 dives we did, including the famous Elbow, were less than 5 minutes away, often within view of the resort. We saw healthy reefs and plenty of sea life, including drum fish, toad fish, nurse sharks, eels, tarpon, baracuda, etc. We took a day trip to dive the Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye and Long Caye. Be forewarned: to dive the Blue Hole you will need to be advanced certified or enrolled in the resort's advanced course. Don't complain- it's their job to keep you safe.

The most fabulous thing about the resort, and there are a lot of fabulous things about this resort, was the staff. The divemasters, Brad and Marcel, were uniformly declared to be some of the best anyone had dived with. The same praise went to the fishing guides. Sherman, the bartender, is a fun and delightful person who makes a mean margarita and can show you some excellent bar tricks. The kitchen /dining room staff made great meals served with warmth and grace. The new management, two young couples from Denmark and Israel, were very friendly, but seemed a little exhausted. Their exhaustion was well-earned, however, as everything moved seemlessly. Also, it must be very hard to keep up with 30+ active talkative Americans.

I hate to put any negative in here at all. However, there was an apparantly well-supported rumor that only 1/2 of the gratuities we charged on our credit cards were passed on to the identified staff members. This could be exaggerated, or be due to deductions for credit card fees and income taxes, but next time I will bring $300-$400 cash for gratuities. Also, we were charged sales tax on our charged gratuities, and were unsuccessful in challenging that.

All in all, this was one of the best vacations I have ever taken.

(P.S. Booking for this resort is done through an agent in Houston, so the person who had the bad experience is not complaining about the resort itself.)

34 Thank zxg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2004

First, I am very big on the customer experience and customer service. Long story short, I booked a trip with this company by accident. I was confused, thinking that I booked with Turneffe Island Flats, not Turneffe Island Lodge. I discovered the incorrect booking within 24 hours booking the trip and requested a full refund. The Sales Department (Norma and Carolina) said that I was not entitled to a full refund as I had agreed to their terms and conditions and if "I was not sure I should not have booked" (of course they used 'Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt' while booking the trip, Christmas time, telling me that all of the rooms would sell if I did not book right away). So I spoke with the head of operations and the company President and they agreed to refund all but $100. To date, they have not delivered on their promise; they ignore my emails and refuse to provide the level of service they promised to deliver. I am deeply disappointed in the performance of this company...

29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2004

This by far was the best resort I have ever stayed in and I have been to many places around the world.If you like being on a private island with no one else around this is the place for you, but be warned this resort is primarily for sportsfishers and divers.To start rent a private cabana on the beach it has a fenced porch and an outdoor shower. the one restaurant is family style like camp the food is to die for all home made and the bar tender made some awesome drinks Lizette and Rob are the managers and they are great, as well as the resident pooches Cashew and Pal everyone is genuinely friendly.I suggest if you are going to Belize spend 3 nights here and spend the rest of your time on the mainland.
you will not be dissappointed.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#15 of 30 in San Pedro
Tree Tops Guesthouse
Tree Tops Guesthouse
#6 of 32 in Caye Caulker

Been to Turneffe Island Resort? Share your experiences!