“Caves are Flooded?”
Review of Cave Tubing R Us

Cave Tubing R Us
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We booked this Cave Tubing excursion about 10 weeks before we sailed for myself, my wife and our 3 kids (7, 12 &14). We had some questions we emailed and had answers in 1 day. We wanted to add zip-lining to our adventure but we were travelling with a 7 year old. The cruise line will not take kids that young but the Zip-Line company had no problem. Also, one of our party was over 250lb and that is usually another hiccup. Again, no problem. We got a confirmation email and a map of the Belize cruise dock explaining right where we were supposed to meet at 9am.
Waking up in Belize, the cruise director announced that due to recent rains, the caves were flooded and no tubing was allowed. WHAT!! What were we supposed to do now? It was a relief that owner Dave at Cave Tubing R Us didn't ask us to pre-pay...like the cruise line does. We decided to get off the boat and check in with who ever showed up from Cave Tubing R us.
As an aside: The cruise lines these days are making it difficult for the private tour operators. Especially in Belize where we all have to get tenders off the boat to the mainland. Cruise booked tours get preferential debarkation so I was a bit worried about meeting the Cave Tubing R us guys by 9am as arranged. We got our debarkation tickets #3 and began our wait. It was obvious that hundreds of guests if not a thousand debarked before us. But to the cruise line credit, we were off the ship by 830 am and thru the port by 905.
The owner Dave was there to meet us and explained that the caves were closed. But he had a plan. Instead of tubing and zip-lining we would go to the Belize Zoo and Zip-lining. What could we say...we were on vacation, lets be open and accept the new adventure. So sure, were are still in! Owner Dave handed us off to one of his tour guides 'King David'. We jumped into an older model 12 person van - thankfully it had good air conditioning.
Now King David was great. He grew up in Belize but had spent some time in Chicago so his English was great and his knowledge of local customs and culture was fantastic. During the hour drive out of Belize City to the Zip-Line company King David easily filled us in to what every day life is like in Belize. Much of what David told us was scripted but when we asked questions King David was engaging and helped to really fill in our picture of Belize.
Arriving at the zip-line company, we still hadn't paid any money. King David was taking care of everything for us. After the zip-lining, he even arranged for a buffet lunch for $5 per person, again pay later. The food was fresh and yummy. Not extravagant but good. But I'm getting a bit ahead of my self.
King David decided to zip-line along with us. There weren't many people there since the caves were flooded. Let me explain that. The cave entrance is close to the zip-line companies. So if the caves are closed, most people stay away from the zip-line also. We weren't rushed or crowded. This flooding thing was working out for us!
So we all got geared up. Gloves, harness, hat. My wife forgot to leave her purse in the locked van so threw it into an unlocked closet...it was still there with all the money when we were done. I brought my own camera and was never discouraged from taking my own pictures. Seven zip-lines later, thru the jungle and over the rushing river we were all exhilarated and feeling hungry, buffet time. We did some souvenir shopping. There was an official gift shop along with a few vendors providing some real local flair.
Time for the Belize Zoo. I think that King David had been to this place a hundred times. He was our personal tour guide and knew every exhibit and name of every animal there. It was so cool being led around by a knowledgeable tour guide.
Finally time for our drive back to Belize City and the cruise docks. 30 minutes later we were all tired and ready to get back to the ship for a nap. Finally its time to pay up. We paid for the zip-line, the zoo and lunch. And it was worth every penny. Everyone of us had a memorable trip. I couldn't recommend Cave Tubing R us any more! Give them a call or book by email. You will have a great time.

1  Thank Chris S

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Dave and Dale took great care of us (about 20 people ages age 7-65) The scenery was beautiful, not handicap friendly as far as I could tell. We chose the ruins and the cave tubing.(two completely different directions, and they did a great job keeping us on schedule) We also enjoyed a typical "Sunday meal" on the way back to the port. He had us back at the port 45 min. before the last tender (the time he predicted at the beginning of the day). Very knowledgeable answered all questions we asked about his country the land, politics, food and demographics. We will defiantly return and bring our own children (teens).

Reviewed 29 January 2014

There's not much I can add to the great reviews below. My wife and I were met by Dave at the pier and we were lucky enough to get a personal tour. The drive out with Dave was great as we learned about the country and Dave shared his pride in his family and his business. Because it was just the three of us, we got out ahead of the buses and were the first people at the caves. The tour was amazing and filled with information. Dave kept the whole thing light with his great stories and cheerful attitude. We enjoyed a nice meal at the end of the tubing adventure.

If I had a recommendation, I would say to wear old sneakers or Crocs. We chose water shoes and the walk is a little too rocky for that kind of footwear.

Thanks for a memorable experience Dave!!!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I booked this trip on my own based on reviews from trip adviser instead of going with the masses on the cruise. David was amazing. He has lived in Belize all his life and knows all about the city the rain forest and the caves. We only had the 4 of us and another couple on the trip. We tasted local food, learned how the Mayans lived and survived, we even ate termites. So educational and fun, fun. We zip lined after tubing and it was scarey but totally amazing to fly over the rain forest and rivers. Then we stayed an ate locally prepared food, yummy. An overall amazing day.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

4 words.......Go on this trip!!!!! This was mine and my girlfriends first experience with cave tubing and it was one of the coolest things we have ever done. I cannot say enough great things about Dave and Jimmy. Dave has the excitement and energy of a 5 year old along with the knowledge of a scholar about his home country. He had an answer for every question, trust me, I tried to stump him, no dice. Lol. Dave personally picked us up from the gate and took us over to the van where we met his driver Jimmy who is also a treat and sure knows how to get around town. The drive is about 35 miles and we had a blast the whole way to the caves. The trek thru the jungle to get to the caves was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life. Dave's knowledge of the flora and fauna is amazing. I'm an avid watcher of nature shows and he was able to show us everything in person. He even got me to eat termites, I now know I will never starve in the jungle. Lol The cave tubing was incredible fun and informative, and Dave just made it an incredible adventure. We then proceeded to zip line and eat a buffet. Even on the way back Dave had more knowledge to impart on us. We drove thru the historical part of Belize and Dave gave us a history lesson. We were throughly satisfied and impressed. Do yourself a favor and book with Dave, it will be an experience you will ever forget. Thanks. Dave and Jimmy!!!!!