Book In Advance

from US$99.00
from US$85.00
from US$94.00
More Info
All reviews belize city altun ha our tour guide sun temple sun god cruise ship great site vendors selling well worth the trip mayan history small museum bring water bug spray belikin beer for sale great pictures an excursion
Reviewed 3 July 2015

Altun Ha was the best Mayan Ruins that I have ever been to. Although, I have not been to many of them but this was an awesome experience.

It was a rough ride going there as the highway was in bad shape but it was well worth the ride as this site was just amazing!

If you have mobility problem, you might not be able to enjoy climbing up but you can also admire the ruins from below.

The site was not that expansive so I suggest spending at least 3 hours to explore it thoroughly.

The views from the top of the Temple of Masonry Altars were extraordinary!

I highly recommend visiting this place if you are in Belize.

Date of experience: August 2014
9  Thank yycflip
Reviewed 2 July 2015 via mobile

What a sight! How amazingly beautiful! Although it was extremely humid which I did not enjoy, I wouldn't trade this experience for the world! The ruins are still in tact and in perfect condition and you can climb to the tops.

Date of experience: September 2014
1  Thank Jasmine T
Reviewed 27 June 2015 via mobile

I popped into Altun Ha on my way back from Orange Walk as it was only 12 miles off the highway.

Very straightforward to get to and do not expect to drive on tarmac road all the way. There is plenty of car parking space when you arrive and about a dozen shops selling souvenirs. You can also hire a guide here if you wish.

Once you enter the ruins you quickly realise this is quite a small complex. You can walk on certain parts of the ruins but after 30 mins I had walked around the place and was in the visitor centre. Here you will see a replica of the famous jade head that was discovered here in 1968.

There were more places to see such as the pond but I certainly would not be able to spend more than hour here.

A lovely Mayan ruins worth stopping off to see for an hour if you were passing by on the highway.

Date of experience: June 2015
Reviewed 24 June 2015 via mobile

The Altun Ha visit was great. The tour guide was knowledgeable about the history and had a wonderful personality. We climbed to the top of one of the monuments and the view was so beautiful. It felt like we were actually back in time during the visit. The stories about the ruins were entertaining and told with much excitement. Remember to visit the souvenir shop and view an assortment of local art carvings and other items. The people of Belize are so kind and friendly. Great trip!!!

Date of experience: June 2015
Reviewed 20 June 2015

My partner and I went on a Caribbean cruise last April and Belize was one of our cruise stops. At first, we really just wanted to tour Belize City on our own but after reading so many negative reviews about the country and how dangerous it can be, we opted for an excursion to the Altun Ha Mayan Ruins. It was a very good decision even though we had to dig deep into our pockets since these shore excursions sure were expensive. We both had been to Tulum, another Mayan ruin years ago, in Mexico also while on another cruise. I must say, these ruins are absolutely spectacular. The trip out and back plus the stay at the ruins took practically the entire day which was good for us. We didn't have to look for something else to do while at port.

It was strongly suggested that we apply insect repellant which we did for protection. I personally think it was not necessary. There just weren't any bugs. Anyway, I knew better not to stick to the tour group so much. While others may have appreciated all the information about the ruins as narrated by the guide, I decided to separate from the group every so often to take pictures. I was glad I did.

After the tour, we were dropped off at a restaurant which gave us free drinks. From there, we had time to walk around the waterfront area a little bit and visited the Bliss Monument, some hotels, the Taiwanese Embassy, as well as a World War Memorial a few yards from the port terminal. For those who want a stamp in their passports, there is an immigration officer whose office is just outside the main terminal building. How I wished I took my passport with me when we stopped here. Likewise, do remember that Belize is a tender port which means from the ship, passengers still had to take a smaller boat to get to land.

Do visit my blog, Adventures of the Globetrotting Teacher, click on HOME, then choose Belize in the countries visited list for pictures about the ruins and a few other attractions we saw.

Date of experience: April 2015