“Lamanai Tour with Wentworth is terrific”

Belize Cruise Excursions
More attraction details
Owner description: Serving the Cruising community since 2003, Belize Cruise Excursions provides exclusive beach breaks, action tours, zip line tours, cave tubing tours, Maya Ruins and private tours. All excursions are in small groups, offering privacy and comfort for all arriving Cruise Ship Passengers arriving into the port of Belize.Belize Cruise Excursions, an Island Marketing (Cayman) Group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We booked this excursion in advance with Island Marketing and thoroughly enjoyed our day off the cruise ship ($75/person includes lunch). Wentworth is a very energetic and friendly guide, informative and dedicated to his job as ambassador of his country. The bus ride in an old school bus (so this is where Blue Birds come to retire?) was thankfully airconditioned, lunch at the dock before the speed boat ride up to the ruins was good, and the boat ride was lots of fun. We stopped to look at crocodiles, birds, a Mennonnite community, and there was plenty of cold water provided to everyone several times during the trip. We took the first tender off the cruise ship, and caught the next to last tender going back. It was just right, a full day. Howler monkeys at the ruins were amazing. And the ruins themselves were incredible.

4  Thank msGLT

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were recently in Belize with Carnival Cruise. Took a horse carriage tour with Delton from Belize by Carriage. It was a delightful and enjoyable experience. Delton was very personable and seemed to be knowledgeable about the city.

3  Thank pop32570
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have used Island Marketing for 10 years on excursions in Mexico, Belize, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Roatan. They have all been excellent. This tour was to the Lamanai ruins in Belize. Princess was charging $130 per person, Island Marketing charged $75 per person. We actually beat the princess tour to the site and beat them back to the ship.
Wentworth was a great tour guide and very knowledgeable. The tour is supposed to take about 6 hours - the entire time you are on shore. The bus ride is a little more than an hour and the boat ride down the river is about an hour. They also provided lunch. Island Marketing guaranteed us arrival back at port before the ship left. We had no problems making it back. Fascinating tour, only wish we could have spend more time and toured the museum.

6  Thank weeprints
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I came in on a Carnival cruise and wasn't too impressed with the excursions offered by the cruise line so I decided to find my own. Reviews of the ruins of Belize told me that Lamanai was the best, and after reading about this tour and the fair price I was hooked. So here is our story - the good and the bad.
We were really worried about getting an early enough tender and making it to the meeting point in time to start the day. I read that if you aren't on a Carnival excursion then you don't get the first tenders out. And I also read of people not making it in time and being offered other tours instead, once they finally got to shore. We didn't want this to happen. Carnival stated that if we weren't on one of their excursions then we had to line up to get a tender ticket starting at about 7:30am that morning. I assumed the lines would be massive, but no. I woke up way early, made sure I got to the desk on the ship to get a tender ticket and sure enough....Tender 1, check. We made sure we got off the boat right away and wouldn't delay our tour (because it is all day and We would be passed for time anyway).
Our first disappointment was that we got ashore, found the place to meet, paid the balance of our excursion and then waited. And waited. And waited. We waited about an hour or 1.5 hours until others arrived and the tour finally left. Why did I even bother hurrying??
The van ride to the river was informative though I have had other excellent guides in the past on tours that have made my expectations for passing along country info, history and stories quite high. Wentworth was great, got along with the people well, and definitely was organized. No complaints really, just that I wanted more info.
We get the river and have lunch before departing. Awesome lunch,, hands down. Simply awesome. The rice/beans were superb and the mystery meat was freakin perfect. Lunch seemed like a token thing, but it was a home run in reality. Great job.
The river boat ride was a little disappointing. I was fun and all, but I must have read something that gave me high expectations. I was looking forward to the river even more than the ruins because I wanted to see and learn about the wildlife along the way. Unfortunately I think we slowed one time to look at the spider cactus and, otherwise, didn't see or discuss one living thing on the way except some random fishermen on the lake.
The ruins were ok. We were told that we were pressed for time so there would be no discussions by the guide at the ruins, only on the van ride back a couple hours later. We tried to stop and take pictures of the plants and of course the ruins, but found ourselves at the back constantly having to rush to catch up. We climbed the ruins, which were very cool but I wish I had some description and explanation about their history. We managed a little Q/A once we caught up but Wentworth was mainly trying to hurry everyone to the next spot, which we understood. There were 3 ruins to see and only time to climb 2 of them. The 3rd we snapped a few pics as we hurried by and that was all we had time for. My wife and I tried to look through the little shops/huts that were there on site, and thankfully we did since we ended up being too rushed later for anything meaningful.
The ruins were over quick and we hopped back on the boat. The crew was certainly conscious of our schedule so even though I could tell they were concerned, I wasn't too worried. The boat ride was even quicker heading back....and mind you this is a speedboat, not a casual tour boat. No stories from the guide, and if you didn't spot wildlife on your own, you missed it. My wife said hey a turtle but as quick as I could snap my neck to look, we had long since whizzed past it. Seriously, there was no seeing anything on the boat because we were trying to break speed records to get back on time.
We got off the boat, through the restroom and back in the van. We were definitely late getting back but Wentworth confirmed that the last tender would be there and we would be OK (and yes, we were). There was some additional tour guide info on that ride back but I just never felt it got into a ton of depth. I was happy, just not completely satisfied.
Arriving back at the port, we wanted to rush into a shop or two before getting on the last tender. We could see that the tender line was long still so we did exactly that. Rushed into a couple shops like there was a fire, got some local currency, shot glass, a shirt or two and then rushed for the tender line. We got on no problem and apparently there was one more after us.
All in all, the ruins were fine but just way too rushed; the food was simple but totally outstanding; the boat ride didn't meet expectations at all (for seeing or learning about local wildlife); and while Wentworth was good, I think I just wanted some more depth of knowledge imparted to me so I could get the whole Belize experience. The way everything was so rushed (which it shouldn't have been, if what I read was true...get there early or you lose out) there was no time to stop and really enjoy and take it all in unless it happened on the van ride only. My final rating is above average, but not the ultimate experience.

9  Thank KenInIndy
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Took this trip to Lamanai Mayan ruins with Wentworth while on a stop off in Belize from our cruise. (4 adults) Absolutely brilliant tour, Wentworth has just the right mix of humour and lots and lots of knowledge. The bus tour of the city was great, got a nice flavour of Belize and the lunch was lovely, onto the boat for the trip down the river (about 45 mins on the boat) to Lamanai, the boat trip in itself was worth the price. Excellent.
The tour around Lamanai was also great, spent just enough time there and then back onto the boat. Timing was all perfect and Wentworth was an excellent guide.
Highly recommend this trip.

10  Thank murphy_sa