“Noisy and not very inviting”
Review of Bayview Guesthouse

Bayview Guesthouse
Bayview Guesthouse
Ranked #24 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We arrived in Belize city with no room reservations our friend suggested we stay here as it was in a safe part of town . Could be , but very noisy the music played loud and boom box till 3 in the am on a Thursday night . The guest staying next door had his dog barking in the night and then there were neighbourhood dogs barking too . Could be safe compared to other areas of Belize city as we drove around but it's very low end . No toilet paper or soap when we checked in , the towels had holes in the them , the bedspread was worn and there was no top sheet . Double locks on the door to lock yourself in and we only saw one other guest . Take a look at what you get before you pay as the sign says no refund after you pay . I doubt I would stay here again but it is close to the water and not too far from the water taxi to Caye Caulker .

Room Tip: I think they have shared baths , sorry not for us we want our own bathroom . I suggest maybe one on...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank canadiangirl959

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I wouldn't recommend this guesthouse,it's not very close to city for starters,staff very unfriendly,wouldn't crack a smile if u paid her.Loads of rubbish building up outside of the premises where 2 giant rats were running around..Only positive I can give is large room with fan and tv with lots of channels..that's it.Go elsewhere.Also what I thought was suspicious was that my 3 friends decided to go out for a walk,2 minutes later,the lady at the front desk knocked on my door offering me a spare towel(which was only 2 towels between 4 of us),she looked surprised to see me and nearly broke her neck looking around the room before I closed the door..Maybe I'm bad mouthing her for no reason but it made me suspicious of what she would have done if all 4 of us had left the room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sarahdunne46
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We arrived late in Belize without a reservation, but ended up in the north where we were offered a decent room for BZ$ 55. We wanted to visit Caye Caulker for a few days, but as we had a rental car, we had to leave it somewhere safe. The owner led us park our (very small) car in his private garden, many thanks!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was visiting friends in Belize City, and found this hotel adequate for the money. The room was small, and it came with AC, and cable TV. The one thing I didn`t like was the bathroom had a curtain, and no door. The room was clean, and bright. Overall, I had a pleasant experience, and would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Ronald C
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is a VERY basic hotel, but for the price, it's acceptable. I've stayed there several times. It is literally 1 block away from the princess. There is AC and WIFI and cable tv. Besides that it's just a room with a bed and a bathroom. Nothing fancy. They are very nice, and also give access to a kitchen if you need. There is a convenience store down the street and a chinese restaurant around the corner. For $30 US a night..totally acceptable. :-)

Room Tip: I don't mind paying the extra 15 dollars for a bigger room. :-)
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Darlene G
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We also chose this place based on the reviews here as well as the Toucan Trail. Didn't help that at the start the owner argued with me about cost - we didn't need the fan offered after all and based on pricing - thought we'd be getting a reduction (that didn't happen - he indicated price we'd been quoted and paid for was lower than it should have been). Secondly - floors so slick that just sweat from my feet was almost enough to make me slip and fall. Then at midnight - pounding music that came from right next door to our room. We thought it was a party going on - turned out next day that it is a nightclub right beside us. Music lasted til 3 - I realize Bayview really can't control that - but a warning would help.

Was pretty clean though - however shower not cleaned well - was still a bar of soap stuck on the floor and bleach smell was very strong - hadn't been rinsed that well. Good cable.

Pleasant back yard. We may or may not stay here again. Owner was helpful in getting us a cab when we were leaving. He chuckled over my husband's bargaining skills - some of the taxi's were over charging and we knew it

Connie in Canada

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reynoir2
Reviewed 20 November 2010

We needed a bed for the night and chose Bayview for its rates, and safe location. We were left waiting trying to figure out where the reception was and eventually noticed someone hiding behind a metal window grill. Once we had got their attention though, the check-in procedure was swift and efficient.

Our room didn't match the photo on the website, with a twin bed crammed in at the foot of the double bed. Cleanliness wasn't great (food remains smeared on furniture), a few more roaches than I'd usually expect to see, and the furniture was shabby. The TV was at the end of the room, and too far to be able to watch from your bed.

As a light sleeper, the dog barking during the night was a little wearing, as was the broken dripping tap in the bathroom. Add in a coffee-maker (or early-morning coffee on site), and a bedside lamp, and I think it would be a fair price.

All in all, it was a safe bed for the night but next time we'll pay the extra and stay at the Mopan, or D'Nest Inn.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple