Sea Breeze Guest House
Orbitz.com
Bachelor Inn(Belize City)
US$63
US$43
Black Orchid Resort(Burrell Boom)
US$238
US$226
US$219
  • Pool
All reviewsguest house ischeap placeprivate bathroomshort walkhot waterstayed here for one nightrooms are cleanfelt safecayestaxisferries
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Well, hopefully, we just stay there one night!
We had miss our bus and we where waiting to cach the first one at 6h in the morning as I had an emergency in Chetumal.
When we arrived, the taxi driver gave us our luggage and says "don't forget it's 6h"
We ask the owner if he could book a taxi for us in the morning and he says no because he was sure that what our taxi driver just said was that he was going to pick us up!
I assured him that he will never come and that we need a taxi in the morning...
He said okay okay don't worry, I'll call in the morning blablabla.
I insist but he was really lazy!
We told him that our bus is at 6h so we must leave at 5h30.
He said he will be there for sure because it's the opening time for the reception blablabla.
Obviously in the morning the taxi didn't came, so I went to see the owner who where still sleeping at 5h40! I woke him up by knoking at the door! And guess what! HE was the one upset!!!! He took him sooo long to call a taxi because he was too slow just to woke up! No one was available!!!! I told him the day before!!!!

Plus it was really warm in the room and no hot shower.
For the price, you could definitely find a better place in a better location.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013

When we checked in, the only words they said to us were "reserved?" and "pay now". No smile, no welcome. They got the towels and soap out, and handed them to us to carry upstairs ourselves with our luggage.

The room was small and cell like. There was a window but it looked directly onto another building so the metal shutters were closed. The aircon was so noisy we had to turn it off and use the fan. The sheets were obviously laundered, but had old stains and marks on, and holes. The shower room was tatty and dirty, and I was joined in the shower twice by cockroaches.

The area wasn't as dangerous as some in Belize City, but we felt distinctly uncomfortable walking round the corner to the restaurant, and the staff told us not to go out late. So we spent the evening searching online for an alternative hotel for when we returned to Belize City (there was wifi at least).

It's a pity as the building is quite nice, and with some repairs, upgrades and most of all a friendly approach, this could be nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is easily the worst place I have ever stayed, anywhere. Hands-down.
Sadly it got great reviews some time ago, but it seems like the carefree adult children took over from the parents- as I didn't see anyone over 40, as an employee.

Me? Backpacker. Priorities? Clean, not stinky, polite & kind hosts, things not broken.

The price was right, and we were only in B.C. after touring the country, to catch our AM flights the next day, so we had pretty low expectations as-is. Note: While this is the best value in town, myself and my friends (all very cost conscious and humble/cheap the whole trip) agreed we'd rather have paid more, to just not stay in such a rotten hole.

The bathroom STANK to high heaven. We couldn't figure-out the three handles in the shower-stall, so skipped showers. Jailhouse mattress, sheets REEKED of chlorine bleach, itched (I'm assuming from the bleach), the floors were sticky- just, all around awful. Not the humble/chill/simple family place we'd hoped for.

There's a fridge downstairs by the desk, with soda & water and snacks in it, which is nice. That was mostly it for niceness, tho.

When we checked-in, we asked about getting to the airport the next morning. The guy at the desk haggled my 2 friends, to the point that one just walked away. The one who remained (backpacking vet) came upstairs disgusted, that he was quoting outrageous prices, haggling to the nickel-and-dime, and basing his prices on how many of us, what time of day, how many bags, etc. It was just dumb.

The people of Belize overall, could not be nicer. We tipped well throughout our stay. This place was just the biggest bummer as a bookend to our trip.

Oh- and there's a padlocked gate that is padlocked 24/7, to enter the place. Safe, right? Nope, not if you're returning home from dinner after dark, and need to stand there for a while outside the gate being spare-change'd to death by lurker locals, while the employees take their time walking from their living quarters to undo the padlock so you can re-enter.

The kicker: the morning we left, after a second attempt by my other companion to get a ride from the owner who'd offered (and also departed the convo disgusted), we were running about collecting stuff. I was downstairs, and one of my companions shouted from the balcony to me to show him that I was wearing my money belt (I left it behind at one place- uhps!). I lifted my dress, and two of the male employees inside saw- and both doubled-over laughing.

Just very lame. Oh- and the bathroom STANK to high heaven. Crappy mattress, sheets REEKED of chlorine bleach, itched (I'm assuming from the bleach), the floors were sticky- just, all around icky. Not the humble/chill/simple family place we'd hoped for.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ninavizz
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Located near the Museum and Federal Bank, the neighborhood is so-so. But the Guest House operated by a Bangladeshi is really the pits. My room was small, and both the room and for sure the bathroom bring the word "dilapidated" to mind. And the bathroom was in dire need of repairs, toilet flushed poorly. All in all, appearance and ambiance almost bring on depression. But what also was terrible were guests in other rooms. During my stay two rooms were occupied by country men of the inn keeper who were noisy at night with kids running around at 11 pm. I suspect other countrymen of the owner stay here regularly. The outside spiked fence with barb wire on top may be safe, but gives the feeling you are in a concentration camp. So if you stay in Belize City, opt for anything else, you probably can do no worse. And when I registered and paid, the owner did NOT make me fill in the usual Belize form for hotel guests. I surmise this is illegal. I stayed one night.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this place. The best room you can choose is one in another guest house or hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank sjman41
Reviewed 2 June 2012

There are so many beautiful places in Belize, I would only stay in Belize City if I was stuck for the night! The room was absolutely filthy...it didn't look like they've done a proper cleaning of the room in about a year. I have spent many years backpacking, and a place like this is what I would pay about $3 for. It was disappointing because from the outside it didn't look too bad.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo