“Unhelpful and filthy”

Ranked #13 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Unhelpful and filthy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Would have rather slept in the garbage filled street. Tiny rooms for ridiculous prices. False advertising, the pool is a garbage filled swamp and no laundry service. Had to wake the guy up at 9am to ask for directions to a laundry facility he gave terrible directions which included 5 right turns, that got me no where. Thankfully we found a decent guide to roll us around for cheap. The room did have a private bath, with dirty towels and black mold in the shower. When I turned on the tv it was ridiculously loud so I hit the volume button and the tv shut off. To top off our stay the neighbors have a rooster that woke us up every 20 minutes. When we told them about the rooster he didn't understand why it was a problem. I only gave the service a 2 instead of a 1 because we complained enough to get half of our money back. Don't waste any time here or in the city. Stay on the islands for sure.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ashley M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Joshua Tree, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Our friend booked two nights at the Sea Breeze Guest House in early May 2014. It was only after we had checked in that we had the opportunity to read other TripAdvisor reports on the property. We got rooms with A/C for $32.50US/night.

The good news: Things were cleaner and more organized during our stay then what reviewers in 2012/13 experienced. The sheets, room and bathroom were clean. We didn't suffer from bed bugs. The owners have installed a bell at the gate so you are no longer stuck just rattling the gate. The owners arranged a taxi for us and the taxi arrived at the appointed hour.

The bad news: The area surrounding the guest house is still a bit sketchy. The beds come with just two sheets, no bedspread or blanket. If you like to sleep in a cool room under the covers, you may need to wear a t-shirt to stay warm. There are still rats wandering around the neighborhood and in the yard of the guest house.

Despite the sketchiness of the neighborhood, the location of the Sea Breeze is pretty good - about 150 yards to the San Pedro Water Taxi and 250 yards to the Caye Caulker Water Taxi (by the swinging bridge). About 100 yards in the other direction is the National Museum and roughly 150 yards further on is the Celebrity Restaurant - the eatery some say is the best in Belize (heaven help Belize City if that's the case, but that's another review...).

The Sea Breeze Guest House is only going to be acceptable to those on a tight budget. It with this in mind that we assigned stars. If you want more mainstream lodging in Belize City, go to the Radisson, Ramada or some other location.

Room Tip: Room 4 has two windows, but is very close to neighbors with a barking dog. Room 5 has no windows but...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank dmarieJoshuaTree_CA
San Jose, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed at Sea Breeze Guest House one night in November 2013. It was the worst place we stayed in during our two months traveling Central America. The room was tiny, the one window had no screens, there were springs poking out of the bed and the bathroom stunk. I saw rats running around the property.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Belize City hotels

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Our first impressions of Sea Breeze were mixed- on the one hand it's very conveniently located a 2 minute walk from the water-taxi terminal, but on the other hand it has imposing gates topped with barbed wire. We had to rattle on the gates for a while to get the apathetic receptionist to come out and open them. She wasn't rude, but neither did she care about anything. We asked her about where to get a bus the next day and she just told us she didn't know, no offer of help or anything. She gave us our key and left us to find our room ourselves. Returning to the guest house later that evening (only about 9pm) after dinner we had to rattle the gate and shout for about 15 minutes before anyone came to let us in. As if you want to be drawing attention to yourself in Belize City at night.
The room was small and very warm despite the fan but had a TV. Shared bathroom is small but adequate. Despite the surly service, the place seemed like good value and would probably have scraped an average rating because our expectations weren't high, BUT for the fact that in the morning my sister and I had 50+ bed bug bites a piece- every travellers worst nightmare. Do yourself a favour a do not stay here. Unless you feel like donating some blood.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Well, hopefully, we just stay there one night!
We had miss our bus and we where waiting to cach the first one at 6h in the morning as I had an emergency in Chetumal.
When we arrived, the taxi driver gave us our luggage and says "don't forget it's 6h"
We ask the owner if he could book a taxi for us in the morning and he says no because he was sure that what our taxi driver just said was that he was going to pick us up!
I assured him that he will never come and that we need a taxi in the morning...
He said okay okay don't worry, I'll call in the morning blablabla.
I insist but he was really lazy!
We told him that our bus is at 6h so we must leave at 5h30.
He said he will be there for sure because it's the opening time for the reception blablabla.
Obviously in the morning the taxi didn't came, so I went to see the owner who where still sleeping at 5h40! I woke him up by knoking at the door! And guess what! HE was the one upset!!!! He took him sooo long to call a taxi because he was too slow just to woke up! No one was available!!!! I told him the day before!!!!

Plus it was really warm in the room and no hot shower.
For the price, you could definitely find a better place in a better location.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

When we checked in, the only words they said to us were "reserved?" and "pay now". No smile, no welcome. They got the towels and soap out, and handed them to us to carry upstairs ourselves with our luggage.

The room was small and cell like. There was a window but it looked directly onto another building so the metal shutters were closed. The aircon was so noisy we had to turn it off and use the fan. The sheets were obviously laundered, but had old stains and marks on, and holes. The shower room was tatty and dirty, and I was joined in the shower twice by cockroaches.

The area wasn't as dangerous as some in Belize City, but we felt distinctly uncomfortable walking round the corner to the restaurant, and the staff told us not to go out late. So we spent the evening searching online for an alternative hotel for when we returned to Belize City (there was wifi at least).

It's a pity as the building is quite nice, and with some repairs, upgrades and most of all a friendly approach, this could be nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is easily the worst place I have ever stayed, anywhere. Hands-down.
Sadly it got great reviews some time ago, but it seems like the carefree adult children took over from the parents- as I didn't see anyone over 40, as an employee.

Me? Backpacker. Priorities? Clean, not stinky, polite & kind hosts, things not broken.

The price was right, and we were only in B.C. after touring the country, to catch our AM flights the next day, so we had pretty low expectations as-is. Note: While this is the best value in town, myself and my friends (all very cost conscious and humble/cheap the whole trip) agreed we'd rather have paid more, to just not stay in such a rotten hole.

The bathroom STANK to high heaven. We couldn't figure-out the three handles in the shower-stall, so skipped showers. Jailhouse mattress, sheets REEKED of chlorine bleach, itched (I'm assuming from the bleach), the floors were sticky- just, all around awful. Not the humble/chill/simple family place we'd hoped for.

There's a fridge downstairs by the desk, with soda & water and snacks in it, which is nice. That was mostly it for niceness, tho.

When we checked-in, we asked about getting to the airport the next morning. The guy at the desk haggled my 2 friends, to the point that one just walked away. The one who remained (backpacking vet) came upstairs disgusted, that he was quoting outrageous prices, haggling to the nickel-and-dime, and basing his prices on how many of us, what time of day, how many bags, etc. It was just dumb.

The people of Belize overall, could not be nicer. We tipped well throughout our stay. This place was just the biggest bummer as a bookend to our trip.

Oh- and there's a padlocked gate that is padlocked 24/7, to enter the place. Safe, right? Nope, not if you're returning home from dinner after dark, and need to stand there for a while outside the gate being spare-change'd to death by lurker locals, while the employees take their time walking from their living quarters to undo the padlock so you can re-enter.

The kicker: the morning we left, after a second attempt by my other companion to get a ride from the owner who'd offered (and also departed the convo disgusted), we were running about collecting stuff. I was downstairs, and one of my companions shouted from the balcony to me to show him that I was wearing my money belt (I left it behind at one place- uhps!). I lifted my dress, and two of the male employees inside saw- and both doubled-over laughing.

Just very lame. Oh- and the bathroom STANK to high heaven. Crappy mattress, sheets REEKED of chlorine bleach, itched (I'm assuming from the bleach), the floors were sticky- just, all around icky. Not the humble/chill/simple family place we'd hoped for.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends