“The only part of my 12 days in Belize that was NOT fantastic...”

Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Belize City
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Thankfully we only had it booked for one night! I've never had such a bad hotel experience and I am really not one to leave a bad review...

I found a pretty good deal on a travel deals website, and booked it about a month before we arrived. We pulled up in our taxi and a very nice bell man took our luggage and helped us inside to the front desk. I gave them my name and confirmation number, and they could not locate my reservation. I even pulled up the confirmation email on my phone. The woman asked that we leave them our credit card, and that she would absolutely NOT charge it without permission. The woman told me, that I might have to contact the travel website myself to figure it out!! I have to admit, I was a little stunned by her tone, body language and the lack of customer service skills.

The manager finally found the reservation, they gave us a couple of free drink tickets (for fruity rum punch) and took us up to our room. The room smelled musty, like it hadn't gotten fresh air in months. The comforter SMELLED like urine. I am not exaggerating.

The lobby & hotel bar area are smoking zones. So is the casino. The restaurant is right next to both, so you can imagine that the smell leaves quite a bit to be desired. The food in the restaurant was good. The daily buffet that they had set up for breakfast was good with a wide variety of options.

To end this glorious experience, my boyfriend looks at his bank statement the next day and saw that they DID CHARGE him for the room, MORE than what I already paid for it, even though they found my reservation!!! I had to call and talk to that same awful woman at their reservations desk and ask her to reverse the charge. She gave me the same crappy attitude and never once apologized for the bad experience we had or her mistake. So rude.

I don't know if there are better hotel options in Belize City, but I certainly hope so.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CarrieMaven

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The Hotel was in downtown Belize which is not like the Cays. The Hotel did meet the basic needs but if your used to something nicer, you may be disappointed. Very similar to a Roadway or Red Roof Inn as far as amenities and cleanliness is concerned. There are 2 Restaurant’s and 1 club that comes alive at night. It really wasn't my kind of thing so overall on a scale from 1 to 10, I would give it a strong 4.
Joe

Room Tip: I would not stay in the city of Belize if I had a choice. I would travel to one of many Cays,
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LJoeBraun
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

The Princess is a very nice place to stay in Belize City. The location is in a safe part of the city, easy to walk downtown. The room was clean and comfortable, everything worked perfectly. The staff were very pleasant and professional. That smell that other posters were complaining about is the sea. It's just outside and smells like...the sea! Breakfast is complimentary and very good. Overall, this hotel is a very good value.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank pjsubway
PrincessManager, Director of Sales at Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for your great review of The Princess Hotel. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This hotel is on nice beach front property, however it is in need of a lot of updating and technology. The hotel staff tries there best to help along with there security. The food is good, but needs better quality with a wide range of international foods as this hotel mainly has international guests from USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, and South America. The hotel room amenities are bad and need to be much better. This hotel needs to be totally redone in a classy way and become a part of the IHG Group Intercontinental Hotels as Belize has no FIVE STAR classy hotels.

Room Tip: Insist to hotel that they need to update in a big way!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Stephen S

Thank you for your review of the Princess Hotel. We are in the continuous process of upgrading all our accommodations and public areas and also providing additional customer service training for our staff. We will continue to strive to improve in every way possible and we are sure that for your next stay with us, you will see many more changes and additions.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My family and I just returned back from the independence cele in BZE,we stayed at the Princess hotel for 12nights .Great Improvement has been made since our last stay.The hotel has a new GM (EROL) who is striving for improvements,very social able and eager to please.The strength of this hotel is its employees who are always helpful and willing to help. the front desk attendant (YVETTE) is warm and welcoming.The dinning room supervisor(CHRISTOPHER) and the cook (BRENDA) goes above and beyond to make your stay and meals enjoyable.The Princess offers a family oriented stay with plenty to do for the entire family,can't wait for the 2014 celebration to return to this hotel .

Room Tip: All rooms are water front rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Dior W
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Not sure what people write bad reviews about , but my stay was great. The lobby does indeed have a little bit of an odd smell but the hotel is on the ocean so maybe that is it. The staff was great , the omlett lady at breakfast was great (which is included in your stay) , when we needed something the housekeeping was right upstairs . The only negatives I have to say is people can smoke in the lobby ;/ YUCK and WI FI was bad upstairs in the room so we spent alot of time downstairs.

Room Tip: THe 6th floor is all I can attest for seeing as how thats where we stayed and it was beautiful
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Singersm0m
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I have stayed at the Princess in the past and found it disappointing. I decided to try it again, stayed there with family members and we had a great stay. They removed the carpet in the rooms and retiled everything, replaced the old bed and furniture. The staff in the lobby are very efficient and the GM is quite friendly. The menu in the restaurant is new and we enjoyed buffet style on the week-end. The gym and pool is clean and they have a bowling alley. There is a casino with complimentary local drinks and friendly staff.
Overall we had a great time and will stay there again.
J-P

Best Caribbean Belize Pickwick Hotel
Island Magic Beach Resort
Island Magic Beach Resort
#6 of 19 in Caye Caulker

Been to Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel? Share your experiences!