“Nice Comfortable Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Nice Comfortable Hotel”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at the Bakadeer Inn during a weeklong visit to Belize City. The hosts, Mikael and Shakera Sosa, are extremely accommodating and constantly concerned for the welfare and comfort of their guests.

The hotel is small as are the rooms. The appointments are unostentatious, but the rooms are comfortable and are kept clean. Breakfast is cooked to order, and there is a wide variety of choices. But you can’t go wrong with the Belizean breakfast of scrambled eggs, beans and fried jack. There is no hotel bar, but the Riverside Tavern is a short walk away. In addition, Mikael and Shakera will keep your beer in the cooler if you ask.

In all, it is a nice, pleasant place to stay when visiting Belize City. And I definitely plan to stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gordon D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Inexpensive, The A/C worked. The area seemed safe but residential with loud dogs next door.
Cons: The Wi-Fi rarely functioned. Door lock was an interior-type with was no pick-guard. TV reception was bad.
Airport shuttle advertised but it’s just a $25 US cab. On my return, I took a local hotel’s shuttle for $15.
No room phones + the lobby phone cost $2.50 a minute.

WARNING: DON’T TAKE the tours offered through reception.
Advertised as ½-day tours including lunch but prices more than double of other companies.
When the guide arrived, complained that he doesn’t take single people. I said I’d go elsewhere but he said “no problem” and got me into the van. After a few miles, he complained again and suggested that I take 2 tours to make it worthwhile. I agreed to the zoo and cave-tubing tour.
The cave-tubing tour involved me running after the guide as he ran past the other groups during the hike to the caves. I found him by the river. As other tour guides explained the caves, my guide dragged me past all the other group tours. Including the hike, it took about a half hour.
The 2nd tour was the zoo: 1 hour. He saw a woman and his friends and charged them for a trip back to Belize.
My two 1/2-day tours amounted to 5 hours including travel-time. At the hotel, the price for my tours went from $130 to $180 US because I now had to pay entrance fees to the zoo because he doesn’t normally take one passenger.
Arrange for tours at a local hotel or buy a sim card and call yourself.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here on two occasions, and would recommend the Bakadeer for a stopover in BC. Rooms were decorated in an odd shade of orange and lime green, but were clean and comfortable. Staff were generally helpful and friendly. Due to the security situation in Belize City (advised not to go out on foot after dark), the front door was always kept locked. Not a problem, as there should always be a receptionist sat on the desk to unlock it for you. Annoyingly, one evening, the receptionist preferred to be sat in a back room. Twice I waited more than 5 minutes to be let in, banging and shouting at the door. They really need to install a doorbell, or else give customers a key.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank A380fan
Cottonwood, Arizona
Reviewed 19 May 2014

In the spirit of full disclosure, I stayed at the Bakadeer with a group as a part of a church missions trip to Belize. It was our first time in the country and these accommodations were arranged for us by an outside source, so I'm not even sure what the nightly rate was (I'm assuming we got a "deal" of sorts). Because of that, it's difficult for me to assess the "value" of a stay at this hotel, as well as it's comparability to other hotels in the area.

As it is, this place is in a fairly sorry state. A lot of things are broken/worn/need replacing, and amenities-wise it's pretty bare bones - don't expect much other than a bed, a bathroom, and A/C...though in our case, that was all we really needed.

We had three rooms, they all smelled sort of musty, like someone had been smoking in them (although they are billed as non-smoking rooms). We had some key difficulties in our room upon check-in... I spotted another review which mentioned that the desk staff do their best, with not a lot of support from the owners. I would say that is true absolutely - in the key problems, the employee eventually found that the key to our room had been removed from the premises by the owners and we wouldn't be able to get said key until later that night until they returned. The girl at the front desk was very apologetic and tried her best to be helpful, but I would definitely say this hotel suffers from poor management overall.

Location-wise, this place is right in the heart of the city - which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. If you're looking to explore the urban area, great - you may want to be a little cautious if you are planning on walking around, especially at night in this neighborhood (even the hotel locks its front doors after dark, and will only open for guests). Belize City is a busy place and can get a little sketchy. We were travelling with a group of teenagers and didn't venture out on foot very often, only one night to go to dinner. There are not very many restaurants within close walking distance, but there is a Chinese place a couple blocks over that was great (ask the front desk staff for the name, they should know it).

If you want to do touristy stuff (ie, take a boat out to the cayes), the dock/boating companies are not far from here either - it was perhaps a 5-10 minute drive for us, and I would suggest a cab unless you are up for a walk.

Next time we are in Belize, we will probably look for a chain hotel - there is a Best Western on the outskirts of the city on the way to the airport - as we can probably get a better value than this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Natalie G

Travellers are raving about these Belize City hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The two young women who staff the desk and 'trouble shoot' do their absolute best, but with no support from the owners.
In our first room, the fan did not work. In the second the air conditioner eventually came on after the desk clerk found the breaker at the main box. The fan never did work, the chains had disappeared. There was no water - hot or otherwise - from the hot water tap, though the shower had hot water.
This is a very run down neglected place. The neighbourhood is very noisy with barking dogs, the roads unlit, treacherous for walking,and feel unsafe. There is no restaurant. Breakfast is a pastry and terrible coffee,which they go down the street to get, only if you order the night before.
Too expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This place was a nightmarish disaster. I should have figured I was in trouble when the owner only answered one e mail in several weeks, and never even told me how to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. He was deceitful, incompetent, misleading and uncoopertive
The hotel is located in a slum, is noisy, below average. You'd be crazy to park your car there on the .street or even walk out the door
But worse was that I expected this hotel in tourism booking would help me arrange tours to Mayan ruins. Weeks of e mails resulted in nothing. The owner avoided me, then claimed he didn't run the business, then finally talked to me. He said he didn't answer my emails because he had been out of town. Out of town for 2 weeks?? Can you imagine a hotel staff those does NOT answer a client's email for weeks? Even one who booked 3 nights on Expedia.com
Unfortunately, I had paid for 3 nights, left after one night (to Red Hut Inn--nice...same price, nice neighborhood), but the owner refused to give me my money back, ignoring my noting his unprofessional, unhelpful behavior.
It was a very disconcerting, disappointing, frustrating, unrewarding experience

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kenny126
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night at Bakadeer Inn, standard room with tv, private bathroom although the shower did not work, however staff did offer us another room's shower in the morning. Wifi did not work in the room. Fine location within walking distance of water taxi, bus station and restaurants. Ok for a short term stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple