“Beautiful garden, charming hosts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of D'Nest Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belize City
D'Nest Inn
Ranked #4 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Nanaimo
“Beautiful garden, charming hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at D'nest Inn our first night in Belize. We found a warm welcome waiting for us from Gaby and Oty. We especially enjoyed the deck overlooking the river and the garden that they have worked hard to develop. A great start to our trip.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I've been to many countries in the world, and i was quite taken aback by what i found at the D'Nest Inn when i arrived in Belize City off the hellish 8hr bus from Cancun. This has to be one of my favorite stops i've ever made. I was sceptical about how a place could be so well reviewed, but it's my pleasure to say it's actually understated. Stop scavenging around the others and book this, now. It's an extraordinary gem. Gaby even took the time to email the night before to let me know the booking was all OK.

First, Belize City has a rep, and it is intimidating, even for a seasoned traveller. There's no getting around that. D'Nest is literally 200ft away from the local police station. It's in a clean, safe neighborhood that's being redeveloped. After you go through downtown, like me, you'll breathe a sigh of relief in knowing you made the right choice to stay on the outskirts. There's 2 convenience shops and a restaurant or two right next door, which are also just down the road from the Best Western. At the top of the road, there's a giant Scotiabank (with ATM) and a Walmart-style superstore (Brodies) which has a pharmacy. Buses go from the end of the road and cost $1.00 into the city, and the taxi drivers know the place ($15-20 from the hellish bus terminal).

Second, the property itself is just - how do you put it - zen-like. Tranquil. The first thing you see is the beautiful garden, complete with stream, open scenic balcony, and iguanas. The house is a gorgeously-kept, secure, colonial piece that is immaculate. The rooms have four-poster beds! I've slept in 4-5* metropolitan hotels that don't have this kind of character or feel. The wifi is great, the AC is fantastic, and there's even a minibar in the named rooms. You can absolutely imagine honeymooning here.

And what can you say about Oty and Gaby that hasn't already been said? They have a calm, zen-like, and incredibly gentle nature. The first thing was a warm welcome, a cup of coffee, and some breakfast. I had an insect bite that i was worried might become infected quickly - the doctor was there in an hour with a small prescription that i took to Brodies. They say they want it to be like home, and it really, really feels like it. They even pre-empted helping me with my travel planning and did my laundry!

Honestly, the accommodation choices in Belize City range from limited to awful. I was reticent to pay the little extra, but i feel like i got a $300/night room for a fraction of the cost. You may not be able to see from the photos, but the difference between this and the other budget places in the same price bracket will just blow your mind. D'Nest really is something entirely special.

Room Tip: Do you like 4-poster beds? Just say "i'd like a room, please".
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alex C
Lake Tahoe (California), California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We loved D'Nest Inn! We ended up staying only 1 night because of travel delays getting to Belize but we had a nice night sleep and Gaby and Oty were so friendly, nice and helpful. We walked to dinner and then the supermarket. It's located in a residential neighborhood but never really worried about anything and there was even a police station around the corner. Breakfast was tremendous and Gaby gave us a ride to the water taxi in the morning. You'll be very happy staying here, we would recommend it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anders and Frag... P
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

.....is all I was looking for.

But, Oty and Gaby were very nice hosts and made my overnite stay a pleasant and restful one. I caught a taxi from the airport ($25 US) and the driver knew exactly where D'Nest was. As a single woman traveling alone on this trip I had decided to stay on the outskirts of Belize rather than in the city as I had before. A/C worked great, plenty of outlets, and my room was quiet and spacious. ~

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank jamtx33
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed at the D'Nest Inn in early December 2013. We were struck with how genuinely warm and gracious the owners, Oty and Gaby, were and how supportive they were in helping us to book a local tour to Lamanai, the fascinating site of an ancient Mayan city, and to make our way around Belize City. We felt privileged to get to know Oty and Gaby a little; Oty is an open-hearted, caring, and wise individual whom you feel good just to be around, and Gaby has such a deep and rich knowledge of Belize and its history and current social-political landscape that you feel as if you could mine his knowledge for weeks. Gaby and Oty's personal presence was wonderful.

But it wasn't just that Gaby and Oty were such fine hosts. The interior design, woodworking, antiques and art work in the Inn were splendid, carrying an old world, European spirit, but without the stuffiness or rigidity that sometimes is associated with historic European culture. Oty's garden, bordering the canal running by the Inn, was at once restful and vibrant. The D'Nest was like an uplifting oasis in the midst of the more ordinary environment of Belize City as a whole.

Also, we enjoyed the breakfasts, not only because of the good food and personalized service, but because we met other guests whom we really enjoyed conversing with.

Further, the rooms were clean (each with its own distinctive character), the AC worked well, and the tour to Lamanai that Gaby arranged for us was first-rate.

One other nice feature is that within walking distance of the guest house was a bank and a supermarket, both of which we used.

We highly recommend this lovely guest house, without qualification.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 484glenor
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

You probably won't be staying long in Belize City as the rest of the country is far more appealing but however long you are and whatever you think of the city, d 'nest inn will delight you. Owners Gaby and Oty are relaxed , unobtrusive but attentive and very friendly. Offering lifts to local restaurants and introducing guests to each other they make this small, canalside guest house a real find. Breakfasts in their Mahogany tabled dining room are splendid and the hummingbirds outside a great. I never saw the famed crocodile or manatee but maybe you will!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robinmacp
innbelizecity, Owner at D'Nest Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your comments. The streets are not in the best conditions and the recent heavy rains have not helped. Therefore, we are more than happy to offer our guests a lift to the restaurants nearby. Ay, the crocodile and the manatee appear when you least expect them and we wish they would tell us when they are in the vicinity. All the best.
Tucson
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I made my confirmed reservation four months in advance and paid. I stayed here after my inbound flight, before leaving to San Pedro, and had a good experience. They were very friendly hosts and actually gave me an upgraded room, and dropped me off at the airport to catch my flight on Tropic Air (which I highly recommend) to Ambergris Caye. Their breakfast was very good, although they did not have a supply of bottled water available. Upon my return, and with much disappointment, I arrived to find that they were not home and left their grandson to tend to the guests. He took me to the owner’s BEDROOM and said that was MY ROOM for the night! Yikes! This was not okay, and when Gaby called back to the residence, I asked where my Kiskadee room reservation was. He informed me that they overbooked; keeping in mind I made my reservation and had e-mail correspondence 4 months prior. Knowing I wasn’t willing to stay in their personal bedroom, they made arrangements for me to stay at the wonderful, Villa Boscardi, much to my advantage. Francoise was a gem and so is her B&B!

Room Tip: It doesn't matter because you won't get the room you selected anyway!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo