“Basic rooms but felt safe and comfortable and had friendly staff.”
Review of Coningsby Inn

Coningsby Inn
Ranked #18 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here as a beginning of a group tour. The hotel is basic and not luxury but the staff are friendly and suggest things to do around belize city( pretty much Altun Ha or the zoo) and are honest about the city and advised us not to go out past dark. They did have security and I never felt unsafe in the hotel. The rooms are basic and some of the AC units work better than others but we were comfortable. They make breakfast in the morning for a small fee...i can't remeber how much $5-10 US.
I wouldn't necessarily suggest spending much time in Belize City.....even the local people say that....due to the recent gang violence and shootings...but If you are staying a night or two this place is safe and the people around the city for the most part are very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jenna_12Alberta

Reviewed 2 May 2012

My experience staying in Belize was amazing because I chose to stay at the Coningsby Inn. The service there is amazing, down to earth, real, good people who went out of their way to accommodate everything I needed. The owner of the building was always around and quick to help me find my way to visit some ruins, cave tubing and a couple of islands off all in a week. The owner knew local taxi drivers who will not try to hustle you and actually go out of their way to make your trip even more amazing. Coningsby Inn is not like one of those big name hotels where a million people work there and no one ever remembers your name. The people that work at the Coningsby Inn are great people who looked out for my best interest. The food is home cooked style, amazing Belizean cuisine. Everything is down the street, including boats that will take you to Caye Caulker, San Pedro or even Mexico. I strongly recommend this amazing place with great people and great customer service.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Art Q
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I'd add a star to elvelasque's review of May 2011, but she is right on. A good inexpensive place to stay with wonderful friendly advice from management staff. Great service.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 90Miler
Reviewed 22 May 2011

If you are looking for a high end B&B and or are accustomed to quality hotels, this place is certainly not for you. It's humble, simple and cute. In reality, Belize City is not a hot vacation spot.. so if you are looking to lounge and admire the community... huh... you might want to fly to San Pedro Ambergris Caye... I did for four nights and it was great! Belize City is not tourist friendly. But if you like third world country feeling... this is it. Upon arriving to Corningsby Inn, you must knock or ring the doorbell, because it's most likely that the girls are either cleaning or cooking in the kitchen upstairs. It feels as if you are at home-very cozy. There are no elevators, so if you have a room upstairs...you are pretty screwed as you have to drag your luggage upstairs.Not the best looking hotel but it worked for the night. For dinner We were given two choices, chicken or fish.. i went with the fresh catch of the day. I really enjoyed it, very well seasoned and didn't have a fishy taste at all. Took a while to get our food because there were only two girls, but they provide very good service and were very friendly. When were were ready to hit the sack, she came to our room and asked if we needed anything. She said she was making sure we were safe, she usually didn't see women traveling by themselves much.

There were two twin beds. The weather in Feb is a bit crazy. Lightly humid and rained. The room did have an air conditioner, but because of the high energy cost that Belize City has to pay, we were a bit conscientious and didn't use it as much although it was a bit humid. The rooms were clean, no bed bugs, thank goodness. The shower pressure was good, hot water, no iron. There is a house next door with noisy dogs, but we didn't mind it much. The sheets and bedspread were old but clean, no hairs found. Again, a nice humble B&B. I would stay there again, because the service provided was great. We also met some gentlemen from Canada and Germany. We struck up a conversation and had a good time. The next day they helped us with our bags, called a trustworthy cab driver that they knew and we wished each other a great trip. I think that is the best part of this B&B, it's so cozy and small that you end up speaking to the other guests and makes the trip worth while. I really enjoyed the experience. The food in Belize city is NOT great... i ate bananas the whole day... 3 for .25 cents... that's crazy cheap!!! The official language is Spanish and 2nd is English... which I thought was strange because majority spoke Creole. Very very few Spanish speakers. English is spoken widely and you can also pay with U.S dollars anywhere. 1 us dollar is equal to 2 Belize dollars...it can get expensive..my friend purchased hairspray for 18 Belize dollars.. that's 8 U.S Dollars!! OUCH!

I felt safe at all times, but we were told not to walk out at night. Locals are very friendly.
If my friends were looking for a humble stay without the perks. I would defntly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank elvelasquez
Reviewed 4 February 2011

The room was spartan, sheets were so worn out, like gauze, holes in quilt. A resident dog barked outside our room most of the night and the aircon was so noisy we couldn't use it. Food was expensive for what we had and the room badly need paint. Ceiling had black mold. This was a $20.00 room not the $65.00 we paid.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pooterpie
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We were diverted to Belize when the Volcano Pacaya erupted and we could not get any flights out while vacationing in Guatemala (The airports shut down for 3 days). When the bus arrived in Belize City, we decided to trust a taxi driver who gave a few suggestions and then waited with us at the Coningsby for the owner to return from the Post Office and help us. Owner Jeannete was very helpful and booked us a room. She was quite interested in getting us info on tourist places, although she didn't offer to let us see her quidebook til our last day there. We were in room 9 and I hope she has someone fix the A/C unit in there as it seems to be on its last legs; there are several bits of paper jammed in the sides to keep it from vibrating off the wall. Hopefully they will get some new bedding: the sheets on our bed were stained or torn and mended and did not fit well. Remember the advice given to tourists while you are in Belize City: do not wear any jewelry and get off the streets before evening.
There is construction going on next to the Coningsby and it seems some workers live there as well; they started working at 7 am even on weekend days.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2010

My partner and I stayed here for one night in may before flying out of the country.
We wanted to stay in the hotel across the road, but was fully booked and to be honest I think i would rather take a chance sleeping on the street!! It was the worst hotel i have stayed in, and I have stayed in some dumps before. The whole hotel was dated and tired looking, the room was dirty, damp and smelt, the Sheets smelt like they hadn't been changed.... ever!
The air con didn't work properly and was noisy, the dog that lives outside of the rooms spent most of the night barking.
On a small plus the staff were nice and helpful and didn't seem to realize that they worked somewhere so bad.
But all in all a very shocking experience, and i strongly advise pre booking somewhere in Belize city because you do not want to end up here!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple