“nice place, great staff.”
Review of Coningsby Inn

Coningsby Inn
Ranked #18 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My fiance and I spent 4 nights at the Coningsby Inn, and I would highly recommend it as a home base for exploring Belize. Jeanette and her staff were amazing. Kendra made us dinner almost every evening, even trying her best to accommodate my vegan diet. Breakfast was also fresh and deliciously prepared every morning. I would recommend taking a short walk to the Birds Isle Restaurant at least once. If you are looking for a 4 star hotel to sip fruity drinks by a pool, look elsewhere. If you are in need of a decent meal, comfortable nights sleep, and hot shower, at the end of a busy day exploring as much as you can of this beautiful country, then look no further.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Coningsby Inn

Reviewed 6 March 2013

It’s hard to understate how grateful I am to the Coningsby Inn after my recent very short stay there. My friend and I were at the hotel for a mere 9 hours, but in that time they managed to save my friend and me three times! We arrived in Belize City at 8.45pm after a bus ride from San Ignacio that took almost an hour longer than it was supposed to have, and hence missed the nightbus to Mexico we were connecting with. Belize City has a reputation as a rather dangerous city (in an otherwise very safe country) - the fact that every shop had barred windows, and that the only people on the street at 8.45 were shady-looking, backed this up. Luckily we had a Lonely Planet, and so after arriving first at a hotel that had closed a couple of months before, we made it to the Coningsby. They were just closing up for the night, but they had a room – and didn’t rip us off – 54 USD for a very large twin room, comfy beds, air-con (a must – Belize City is like a steambath at night), cable TV, wifi and very clean private bathroom. The décor was all a bit boring, but very clean. Having a room at all was the first act of salvation. The second was that the energetic receptionist was able to whip us up some dinner (we didn’t exactly feel trying our hand at getting some food in the city, given it was now almost 10). The third was in the morning – we were planning to leave on a 630 express first class bus to the border, which was meant to leave from the water taxi station. It was a Sunday, and the Hotel owner adjudged there was no hope of getting a taxi, so instead gave us a lift herself. But there were no signs of life at all around the water taxi station, so she gave us a lift to the main bus station, where she insisted (correctly) that there would be second class express buses. Indeed, one left at 630, so we didn’t end up losing any time at all.
So if you find yourself in Belize city for any reason, especially if you've been defeated like us by the Belize bus system – which can be pretty fast and efficient at it best, but still hasn’t even gotten to the stage of printed timetables – then you can’t go wrong choosing this place as your refuge!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We had a one night stay cause we went to Tikal Guatemala the next day. Jeanette and her staff are very lovely ladies. Our room was clean and we enjoyed our home cooked fish dinner and our Belizean breakfast the next morning. It was our first time in Belize and she Jeanette talked us out of wasting $140 on a taxi to Peten and told us to take the Belize Express instead for just $25 each. We met Italians, Greeks, Japanese, all going to Tikal in the bus. We saved money and had fun. Jeanette was kind enough to offer us a ride to the buses and there was a lot of traffic and we were blocking traffic trying to get out. She asked for no payment but I would have liked to have tipped her for her kindness. The next time we connect thru Belize City to our final destination of Guatemala or Ambergris, we will stay here first. :)

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I made a last minute booking at the Coningsby inn because I was arriving in Belize City a day earlier than expected. I was just looking for a place to crash for the night at a decent price. In general, Belize City is expensive for the quality you get - and that pretty much sums up the Coningsby inn: a cute place with nice staff - but overpriced. The room is hostel quality: a bit run down, broken windows and light fixtures, but it’s still a bed with a roof over your head nevertheless. However the service was great! Personal attention just like that of a charming Bed and Breakfast – I felt like I was long lost family. The nice people, good food, relaxing balcony, free water and wifi - left me an overall good impression and I guess I would stay here again, and even recommend it to you! The bed was actually comfortable, the shower was hot, and the air-conditioning was cool. Like I said, other than the price ($70 for a hostel-ish room) I think it’s a solid choice in Belize City.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JAXtravel
Reviewed 7 January 2013

With reference to the lady that wrote a review saying that the first language in Belize is Spanish has been misinformed. The first language is English and the second is Spanish, I should know, born and educated in Belize but now live in the UK, with family still living in Belize and has restaurants in the City. I do agree though about the safety factor, as we spent Christmas 2012 &New Years there this year, and know the Coningsby as my nephew stays there quite often. The Coningsby is the place to stay if you are on a tight budget, value fir money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Karla R
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This small hotel is clean, well run, and safe. It is walking distance to some decent restaurants, although everyone in the city will warn you not to walk anywhere. We ignored that advice and had no problems. There is air conditionsing and good TV. The owner, Jeannette, knows everything about the area and willingly shares her knowledge. She personally took us to the nearby Maya ruins at Altun Ha, and we all enjoyed a delicious Indian meal at a restaurant shse knew about. The hotel is pretty with a nivce white picket fence outside.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This hotel was alright. Most importantly, the hotel felt safe. The room was fairly clean. It had an AC, and satellite TV (though our TV set did not function properly). Do not eat there, unless you have to, we had dinner and breakfast and it was not very good. The room and the food are fairly expensive. The night we stayed, there was a fair amount of noise, and plenty of barking dogs. Chances are, you are not going to be in Belize City for long, this hotel can suffice.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the ground floor, and towards the back, to minimize noise and distraction.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends