“great hotel!”
Review of Belcove Hotel

Belcove Hotel
Ranked #8 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Beklize city has little to be desired but the belcove made my stay here much more tolerable.
pros:
very cheap
good location
friendly
clean
great comfy chairs overlooking the river
free wifi

cons:
super thin walls - can hear every little noice (including the screaming baby next door)

I would definitely stay here again if i had to come to belize city again

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank the_traveller_from82

Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed here twice whilst in Belize, on arrival and departure. Very clean, front desk staff a super helpful and very informative. Next door to restaurant, grocery store on the same block. 3 mins walk to water taxi to the Cayes. Would not have stayed anywhere else!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Sssskkkk
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We stayed at the Belcove when enroute to the cayes, and on the last night before coming home. Although Belize City is a bit worn down, this hotel provides a secure, clean, central location should you need a few days in town. The rooms were clean with new bedding and towels. The A/C worked well. Our room (34) had an issue with the hot water faucet but the shared baths were just outside our door and they were clean and had plenty of hot water. The staff were extremely friendly, and handled our bookings efficiently. They also booked a day tour to San Ignacio on very short notice and followed up to ensure it went well. The hotel's location is also very good, with a casual but good restaurant next door and another spot just down the street at the swing bridge. The Belcovewill certainly be my preferred choice on my next trip to Belize City.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diverdan28
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here for just one night before heading over to Caye Caulker. The cab ride in from the airport is about 20 minutes at a fast pace, the cost $25 USD.The staff here are helpful and friendly. The quality of the rooms is somewhat variable based on the 2 that we looked at. Pay just a small amount more and the room is much larger and has AC. The smaller room that we did not take needed some paint repair, but the whole place is squeaky clean. We stayed in room 38 (I think - at the front above the office) - very comfortable double bed, TV, AC, small fridge, good size bathroom and closet, nice towels and decent bedding. The room was decorated and the wood trim and doors lovely. This room fronted the street, so I was a bit worried about noise, but it was very quiet during the night, however noisy dogs and street talk started at about 7:00 am. The view of Haulover creek and the swingbridge from the common balcony at the back of the building was great. The area is a bit scary but pay attention to staff advice as to where it is safe to go - we had no problems whatsoever. The half block walk up Regent Street from the hotel to the swingbridge looks scary but felt safe while walking, even in the early evening darkness. For dinner, we stayed close by and ate at the Deep Sea Marlin's Restaurant next door where the offerings were basic but good, inexpensive local food. From here it is easy walking to check out Albert and Regent streets, easily walk to the Fort George area on the north side of Haulover creek. My partner went out walking alone to take photos at 6:00 a.m., had no problems and in fact a local security guard that he ran across in one spot took him around to some places to take pic's. On Sunday, pretty well everything is closed but we found a decent breakfast and good coffee, reasonable prices, at the Radisson. Someone else mentioned the local guy that comes around selling pastry. We tried the banana bread, was good, and he was so grateful for the sale. Overall we found people that we encountered in this run down and not so nice city to be friendly and helpful, but be careful where you go. Belize City is not a place I am keen to return to, but if ever there again I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel. It is not a luxury hotel, but it is clean, safe, hospitable and I think reasonably priced @ $51 USD with tax. It is a great stepping off point for the water taxi terminal located directly on the other side of the swing bridge, easy walk over with our luggage - backpack works better than the wheeled bag we had between hotel and swingbridge due to holes in the road, bag continually falling over! It's all part of the adventure.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms, some are larger than others. Some have shared, rather than private bathrooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Eileen-Bruce
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I originally stayed at the Belcove in January 2011 on my return to Belize City for my flight out the next day. I was initially apprehensive because their rates were so low, but my fears were unfounded as I found the small, boutique hotel extremely clean with nicely tiled bathrooms. I just returned again from Belize City and this time I booked both upon my arrival as well as my departure. You cannot beat the price or location and it is great to sit on the balcony overlooking the creek watching the boats go by as you read, listen to music, or just relax. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Belcove will continue to be my go to hotel in Belize City.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank OneLoveAtlanta
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We were here in February 2009, and we would NEVER go back. Oh, the staff was nice enough, but the room was teeny, the paint was peeling, the bathroom was falling apart -- and the neighborhood is not the best. A positive was the view from the balcony of Haulover Creek and the Swing Bridge. There HAVE to be better places, in this price range, in Belize City.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This is a great place to stay if you are going to check out the mainland attractions, like: Mayan ruins, Belize Zoo, CAVE TUBING.com (this one shouldnt even be optional its so amazing!), etc.. Belize City itself isn't really attractive, but if you were going to stay in Caye Caulker or San Pedro and wanted to see any of those things, it would add soooo much travel time to your day and cost alot more too! Belcove was a great hub, awesome staff willing to help you out with anything! Good little rooms that they kept squeaky clean, they even folded our clothes that we left on the bed! :)
It was nice to sit on the balcony after a long day of touristing and watch the city at night....if you are lucky a guy will come by with baskets of baked goods and pastries for sale. The guy who works the night shift is really cool and good to talk to for tips and info.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty similar, go 4 top floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple