“Trip for the Adventurers!!”

Orchid Garden Eco-Village Belize
Ranked #4 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Boise, Idaho
“Trip for the Adventurers!!”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

For my first trip out of the US, Ihad the time of my life! This all inclusive package for a nine day adventure, going through cave ruins, hiking into Mayan ruins, zip lining, cave tubing, snorkeling with the nurse sharks andf stingrays, to name a few, could not have been better! The individual attention our four person party recieved was nothing less than subperb, making us feel as though we were the only guests at their lodge. The food, homegrown and chemical free, was delicious; formal in a rustic atmosphere; and leaving you walking away from the table very well fed. The excursions were top notch; offering you a personal guide who was handpicked for the best outing possible. If I were to describe the best excursion, it was the ATM: Actun Tunichil Muknal: The Cave of the Crystal Sepulture. Going through the river into the cave to the ruin was incredible and unforgetting!

2 Thank Marcy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My fiancee (we got engaged in Tikal) and I stayed here for about 12 nights and felt right at home almost immediately. Christine, Jason and all of the staff were wonderful and really took great care of us. We really felt like we made new friends, including the resident Pato Loco (the crazy duck-he thinks he is a dog).

This place was just our speed -basic clean comfort without expensive luxuries we don't need, and not Spartan either. The room was spacious and comfortable, with a firm King bed. A hot shower is a must for me and I was not disappointed. It was quiet every night, even though it was nearly a full house at least half the time. If you want fancy 5-star accommodations, you might go elsewhere, but if you are visiting the interior of Belize, that might be tough. I might like to see a bit more soft lighting especially in the dining room - you know, garden lights, candles on the table, and floor lamps and more table lamps instead of bare fluorescent tubes in the room, but that wont stop me from coming back.

Christine is wonderfully attentive and genuinely cares for the comfort and satisfaction of her guests. I trusted her to hang onto the bling until it was time to present it to my bride to be. My mate got ill one evening (NOT from eating at Orchid Garden) and Christine showed deep maternal concern for her health. It was nothing that 24 hours wont cure, but it was reassuring to feel such concern for her. She reshuffled our outside reservations while we waited it out.

You wont see much of Jason, but he is "on it" from the keyboard. We booked all of our excursions through them, and their driver-guides were excellent. We spent most of our time with Alfredo who was gentlemanly delightful. He's very knowledgeable about the history, ecology, archaeology and culture of Belize (not to mention all the good places to eat!). Alvaro was also a pleasure, and they both speak perfect English along with Spanish, Kriol, and Mayan.

It was a joy to converse with them in the van rides to our destinations about a myriad of topics while the got us from door to door.

Let's talk about the food! We ate breakfast and dinner in the dining room every day we stayed and the meals were absolutely exceptional. Jason and Christine are Taiwanese, and bring Asian flair to their kitchen where meals are prepared fresh. Chicken, fish, shrimp were the dinner entrees, prepared different ways but usually with Asian flavor and stir fry vegetables. The soups were outstanding....I'm sure I'm forgetting something. They accommodated our gluten free requests without batting an eye. Breakfast was equally delicious and nourishing-eggs, beans, tortillas, oatmeal, fruit, FRESH orange juice, toast -HOT DAMN!

Props to the staff- roomkeepers, servers, bellman, and hostesses all rolled into one.

If you want to explore Belize without the hassle of booking everything yourself and the uncertainty that goes along with driving yourself around - do what we did: Stay out of Belize City, and Trust Christine and Jason to make your Belize adventure as comfortable and memorable as ours was. Oh, and be certain to go to the ATM cave- you will never forget it!

Thank you so much Christine and Jason!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 19 March 2014

For our Belize vacation in February we were looking for something different from the typical 4 or 5 star hotel stay. We selected the Orchid Garden Eco Village outside Belize City for our 12 day vacation. Jason provided us with an all-inclusive package that included 9 days sightseeing and adventures in Belize, an overnight Guatemala tour of Tikal and 3 days in San Pedro which included a snorkeling tour. It turned out to be an excellent choice both for the cost and the level of service we received. The natural environment of the Orchid Garden Eco village added to adventure. Christine provided very personalized service and made us feel like part of the family. The food was excellent and the service level provided by the staff was great. Alfredo and Alverto made our airport and water taxi transportation , day trips, and excursions easy and worry free. They made sure we were never left alone and took outstanding care of us during our stay. If you are looking for something truly unique I would highly recommend the Orchid Garden Eco-Village.

2 Thank 338kent
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I chose Orchid Garden Eco-Village for our December vacation in Belize based on the TripAdvisor reviews, and was thrilled with my decision. My husband and two children, ages 16 and 22 spent four days there, and every minute was memorable. We all had a fabulous time. Orchid Garden is NOT a "5-star" resort, and it is located in the middle of nowhere (okay, technically it's near Ladyville, but blink and you'll miss that town entirely). However, this simple hotel offers a great package of spotlessly clean, simple rooms (cleaned thoroughly every morning), simple but fresh and varied meals, an extremely attentive staff, and FABULOUS outings. Each day was planned out for us by Jason and Christine, the owners. At breakfast, Christine walks around to the tables and tells you what's in store for your day, then one of the drivers drives you there. Here's what we did: Day One (arrived mid-day), visited the Baboon Sanctuary; Day 2, went zip-lining and cave river tubing, then took a guided walking tour of the Orchid Garden property; Day 3, visited the Lamanai Ruins; and Day 4, trekked to and into the ATM cave (Day 5, after breakfast, we were driven Belize City to catch a boat to Ambergris Caye) . Our guides at every location were truly fabulous. My guess is that most of the tour operators at these locations are excellent, but I want to credit Christine and Jason for setting us up every day with knowledgeable, dynamic guides. And EVERYTHING was included; in fact, when Alfredo dropped us off for the boat ride to Lamanai, he made sure to tell us that not only was lunch included but a tip had already been paid to the tour operator, so we didn't have to worry about that. This made the whole experience so easy and stress-free. I want to speak briefly about the food. As many reviewers have noted, it is fresh and varied, with a lot of vegetables and fruit. My daughter and I are vegetarians, and I had let Jason know this ahead of time. Each evening, the kitchen prepared a special vegetarian dish for us - even on the night when they were serving a delicious tofu dish! They still made an additional dish for us! (I think it was sauteed mushrooms.) Breakfasts tended to be more Belizean and dinners, which are served buffet-style, have an Asian feel - a lot of stir-fried dishes. The only thing not included are alcoholic drinks. I like to have wine with dinner on vacation, so on our way from the airport on our first day, Alfredo stopped at a grocery store so we could buy a couple bottles of wine, and some Belizean beer. We probably didn't need to stock up quite as much as we did, because although the hotel is located in the middle of nowhere, you pass through towns traveling to and from each excursion. In sum, if you want to see Belize, have an adventurous vacation, and be extremely well taken care of, book your stay at the Orchid Garden Eco-Village.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EngTeacher25
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 March 2014

What a wonderful time we had during our stay – Christine, Jason and staff provided us with a most enjoyable vacation. From the moment we cleared customs at the airport to the moment we arrived back at the airport 8 days later we were treated as royal visitors. The details and coordination of all of our activities were set-up for us through their care so we had nothing more to do than immerse ourselves in the planned event – and those events were amazing. We learned more about Belize, its history and its flora and fauna than we could ever have imagined and we owe that all to the great drivers/guides that were provided. The meals provided each and every day were creative, eye appealing, and so delicious – perhaps our favorite part of them was the very delicious and unexpected fruit drinks, yum. If you’ve ever considered visiting Belize, our recommendation to you would be to book your visit at Orchid Garden Eco Village.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Laguna Vista, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2014

If you are inclined to take the "road less traveled", this tranquil, friendly and efficiently run jungle oasis is for you! Accommodations are basic but clean; there is free wi-fi at a central spot, and you can meander in their gardens and paths and admire the amazing flora and fauna. The owners' love of nature and concern for sustainability is visible everywhere. The food is delicious, freshly prepared, and plentiful! If you have certain preferences or special wishes, the staff is eager to please, and always with a smile! Sign up for their tours, and you will be pleased to have local, very knowledgeable guides and drivers - most of the time, we didn't even have to share him with someone else! Christina treats you more like a personal houseguest, and I can highly recommend Orchid Garden to the traveler who wants more than a chain hotel room - you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Rooms, which are surprisingly spacious, have window A/C units, which, to this traveler, seemed a bit...