“Part of the family”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cayo
Martz Farm Treehouses and Cabanas Ltd.
Ranked #10 of 58 Cayo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Part of the family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

What a lovely stay with the Martinez family! Miriam and co. made us feel so welcome - meals are taken by candlelight in the family kitchen and you can't help but mingle with the fellow travelers over the delicious food.

This gem is a little off the beaten path (the 8 mile trip from Benque to Martz Farms is on a rough road and takes a little more than 30 minutes depending on conditions) but the isolation is totally worth it if you don't need to be centrally located. The stars at night are INCREDIBLE, and you're immersed in the sounds of the jungle without the hum of electricity. The grounds come alive with toucans, hummingbirds, monkeys and of course, the pack of adorable dogs herding you around.

Martz Farm is remote so if you're doing excursions to other parts of Cayo everyday, you could end up spending a significant amount of time in transit. And the tours are a little more pricey to account for the transport. They do have plenty of "on-site" activities though like horseback riding and a river tour however.

Would recommend for travelers looking for an intimate, off-the-grid experience with a friendly family and jungle surroundings. Wouldn't recommend for people who don't like dogs and for people trying to use it as a base for exploring all of Belize, not just Cayo.

Room Tip: we didn't stay in the treehouse (it was booked) but it looked lovely and other travelers comment...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Butte, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had a wonderful time at Martz Farm. We stayed there for 4 nights. This is defiantly a great place for adventurous travelers who want to get insight into the real Belize. If you can do without air conditioning and electricity this is a great place to stay (there is electric in the main guest house, and there is Wi-Fi most of the time). All meals are home cooked in a small thatched kitchen, and were excellent. Most meals we ate with other guests and could talk about what we did and what we could plan to do. This community aspect of the stay was fun and allowed us to make our plans with confidence. Everyone was very friendly and fun to talk to.

Their coordination of a visit to Takal was excellent, and avoided many of the complications associated with driving into Guatemala. The pontoon boat tour of the Macaw reservoir was informative and relaxing. The highlight of our stay was horse back riding and exploring caves with Joe.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have put this review off for a long time because I love this place SO much that I wanted to keep it a secret (Miriam & Joe- I'm sorry for not reviewing sooner!). My boyfriend & I visited Martz Farm in Feb 2013 (even though it says we stayed in April 2013- it won't let me set the date further than that). We loved every second of our time here and can't wait to go back.

We stayed in the Treehouse overlooking the waterfall/stream and it was heavenly. It was amazing to fall asleep and wake up to the sounds of the jungle and the waterfall. Days started early around 6am with the sunrise and nights ended early. With no electricity and no wifi, we completely disconnected (and it felt great!). Not sure if they still don't have wifi, but I would encourage you to unplug when you come to this place, you are so surrounded by nature that it feels great to let go of all that.

Miriam and Joe are one of a kind. Their children are energetic, eager to talk to you and very sweet. We played UNO with them a few nights and I ended up leaving the game with the kids because they loved it so much. Miriam's food is to die for, especially her homemade tortillas to go with breakfast. Joe is a great horseman and you should definitely go out for a ride with him (my boyfriend was a first time rider and he was okay, so no need to be super experienced with horses!). I highly recommend the horseback ride to the Mayan cave on their land- unbelievable. They arranged an easy trip for us to go to Tikal which was also amazing. My absolute favorite day trip, however, was the waterfall trip. There are no words for how beautiful that trip is, you just have to see it for yourself.

If you are looking for a relaxing trip, to enjoy the jungle in Belize, adventure, an immersion in nature- this is the place. Bring your headlamps and some beer. Have fun!

Room Tip: The treehouse is unbelievably cool!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephaniedis
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our stay at Martz Farm was a singular and extraordinary experience. We were immediately and warmly welcomed by the Martinez family, and quickly became friends with the fellow travelers with whom we shared meals, adventures and conversation. I tend to be an introverted and solo traveler, but the atmosphere at Martz farm was so open and friendly, that I couldn't help but be brought into the amazing web of friendship. It was truly a transformative experience....and only 2 days! My only regret is not having more time.

Our first adventure was horseback riding and caving with Joe. Our previous experience with horses ranged from being slightly terrified to never having been on a horse, but we had the greatest time! Joe and his nephew Evan were super helpful getting us set-up,, and Joe's guidance alleviated all cause for concern. The ride to the cave was beautiful, and the time spent in the cave was beyond anything I could have imagined. Away from the hustle and bustle of other tourist groups - Joe explained the many natural formations and Mayan treasures the cave beheld.

On our second day we went on a boat ride with Laz. It felt much more like hanging out with a good friend than being taken on a tour. But an amazing tour it was! We began with a walk through the jungle, spotting howler monkeys and other wildlife along the trail, and then the trail opened up to a view of the lake and the sweetest pontoon ever. We spent the midday swimming in and climbing up amazing, secluded waterfalls surrounded by absolute majesty.

In addition to the well-planned and guided adventures, time simply spent on the farm, in Miriam's kitchen or the outdoor eating areas was just as rewarding. Hearing their stories, and meeting people from everywhere....it is what traveling is all about.

My traveling companion and I stated many times throughout the remainder of our trip that we were homesick for Martz Farm. Nothing else on our Belize adventure came close to our 2 days with the Martinez family. What they offer is so much more than another vacation. They truly give themselves, their essence, to the experience. I'm so thankful to Joe, Miriam, Laz, Evan, and everyone involved for making this such an amazing trip. On my next trip to Belize - I will head straight for Martz Farm.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We toured Belize for three weeks and I am certain the best memories will be from our stay at Martz Farm. We did the Adventure Package and had a great time. The family, Joe, Miriam, Laz, and the boys are great, super friendly, great food, great accommodations and great company. Every tour was our best tour, and the family members were our tour guides and the best we had in Belize.

While we were there, I spent a lot of time trying to think how I could write a review that would convey how great the Martz farm family is, I am not a very good writer I will just say that every aspect was fantastic and beyond my greatest expectations.

I have friends going to Belize and I told them if you do one thing, go to the Martz farm and stay as long as you have time.

I really hope to see them again, we have a 10 year old son and they have two boys that are a little younger but made him feel very special and right at home, we all had a great time.

Hope to see them again.

Room Tip: Try the tree-house for at least one night. They will pick you up, I didn't know that and it wou...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We first stayed 2 nights at Martz Farm in one of the garden room. We really enjoyed the room, the large patio (with hammock) with the view on the jungle. We chose this place because we were looking for a peaceful place to relax and enjoy the surrounding jungle. We got that…and more! Miriam and Joe are excellent hosts with whom it is easy to talk, exchange ideas and impressions. Meals were delicious and our horseback ride around the farm is certainly a highlight of our trip.
But 2 nights was definitely not enough so we decided to come back at the end of our trip (of 3 weeks in Belize). This time, we stayed in the treehouse, a little girl’s dream house built over a small creek and surrounds by trees. What a wonderful experience! We also spend a day on Lazaro’s boat on the Macal river looking for life in the forest and visiting three waterfalls (highly recommended!).
In conclusion, our trip in Belize was just wonderful. Belize has so much to offer! but Martz farm will always have a special place in our memories.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Trego, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Wow, where do I begin!! A vacation of a lifetime! My husband and I visited the Martz farm in January. We stayed for 6 nights, and can't wait to go back next year with our whole family!

Joe and Miriam took us in as their family. Beginning with our late evening arrival, Joe and Miriam stayed up and waited for us. A warm supper via candle light, with warm conversation and greetings. The next morning, Miriam offered to track down our missing airline luggage, while Joe took us on a fabulous horseback ride through the jungle to an amazing, little known cave. Joe's knowledge of the jungle and rich history of the Mayan culture made it feel more a family event. We felt so enriched to be some of the few people to ever set foot in that cave; not your typical tourist attraction. Upon arriving back at the farm, we were thrilled to see that Miriam had our lost luggage there waiting for us!

The next day was another highlight of our trip. Joe's brother, Laz, and nephew Evan, took us on a pontoon ride on a nearby reservoir. After a short hike, with amazing views, we arrived at the pontoon. Trip complete with seeing crocodiles, iguanas, and Howler monkeys, along with amazing waterfalls. We had the opportunity to park the pontoon, and hike up to a towering waterfall, swimming across a lagoon, and walking behind the waterfall. Later on, we pulled up near another waterfall, and ate lunch on the pontoon. For us, the most amazing adventure could have been the 8th wonder.........pulling up to a waterfall, jumping onto the edge, barefoot, feeling the limestone rock underneath us, and proceeding to climb tiers of waterfalls to the top. Our feeling, throughout this trip, but especially at this waterfall, is how fortunate we felt to experience this, a waterfall that very few people would ever see, or feel.

During our stay at the Martz farm, we went horseback riding on three separate occasions. Their horses are friendly, well trained, and sure footed. Joe has an amazing bond with his horses, and horses that cover every age and ability of riding. With all of his knowledge, he taught us of the flora and fauna of the jungle. We saw pristine jungle, gorgeous views atop of cliffs, and views from hilltops being able to see miles and miles in every direction.

We stayed in their new building complete with showers, toilets, and electricity. Our room was clean and spacious. Stepping out to the front deck, we could overlook the entire farm among the treetops. Our meals were excellent, and Miriam's cooking goes unsurpassed. Whether we were dining in the kitchen, or took our lunch along on an excursion, we were always taken care of and fed well.

In a lifetime, there are a few people that you meet, they touch your heart, and you never forget them........Joe and Miriam are those people. They "made" our vacation. We can't wait to bring our children to meet them and their family, and enjoy the rich history and culture of Belize.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple