“Best attraction in Benque area EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Actun Chapat

and up
Horseback Riding Tour to Actun Chapat Cave
Ranked #39 of 72 things to do in Cayo
More attraction details
Owner description: Spend the day in the jungle and caves on this private caving adventure. Visit the caves of Actun Halal & Chapat seeing and visualizing the past when the Mayan's used these cave for their ceremonial rituals. Gaze at huge formations and rooms that were formed ions ago. Incredible/ mystical/ beautiful/ and mysterious. Located on my private property, you will ride in the Rover 6 miles over a track that once was used by chicleros. Not a "tour", more of a trip with new friends. After walking through huge chambers and rooms you will reach the "skylight". Here, with sunlight and fresh air streaming in you can satisfy your hunger with fresh-homemade burritos, and take a well-deserved rest. After exploring and enjoying the environment further, head back to the rover to enjoy an ice cold beer, soft drink or water. I like to share this trip with the people that enjoy doing something different, getting off the beaten tourist trail. It is a special place, one that should be experienced. Please email for details as this trip is NOT for everyone. It requires a sense of adventure, love of nature, a level of endurance and physical coordination.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Pedro, Belize
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best attraction in Benque area EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We saw many thing on our trip to Benque but I have to say that the cave trip was our best experience.
We stayed at Benque resort and Spa which was very close by and super close to the start of ouir cave tour.
Host Ken was fabulous with information and the ride in the Land Rover to get to the cave was an adventure in itself.
This by far was the highlight of our trip.
if you are going to see a cave in belize this is the number 1 one to go to.!!!!
It has caverns, lakes twists and turns and by far the most scenic adventurist trip I have ever done, and I have done alot.

Highly recommended and can t wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited May 2011
3 Thank juliet_esquivel

Levittown, New York
“The ultimate cave experience you'll ever have”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

You can explore this cave for an hour, a couple of hours, or a whole day ... it's that big. My friends and I decided on the whole day ... we went as far deep into the cave as we could in a day. Plenty of shards of pottery, a sinkhole, underground lakes. Truly an experience I don't think you can get anywhere else that I know of. To really experience a part of Mayan culture check out Actun Chapat.

Visited June 2011
on a plane somewhere
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Spectacular ! Once in a lifetime adventure”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Ken and Roy were great guides during our day-long trip through the cave. The jungle is beautiful, and the cave remains a well preserved historical treasure. Bring sturdy boots/shoots, water, and lots energy. And be prepared for many "wow" moments. Thank you Ken and Roy for an adventure of a lifetime !

Visited December 2010
1 Thank PaulSullivan137
San Ignacio, Belize
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Overused phrase, but... Actun Chapat is a "must see" in Cayo”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We heard about Actun Chapat Cave several years ago, but always put off going, as I was a little nervous about descending into the depths of the earth, especially in such a remote location. So, the first thing I must say is, guides Ken and Roy were extraordinarily helpful and solicitous every step of the way, providing assistance when needed to get over, under, and around the few difficult spots.

All during our hike, we were regaled with anecdotes by our guides, and filled to bursting with information about everything from ancient Maya history, local flora and fauna, previous visits by archaeologists and scientists, to the need for extreme care in preserving Actun Chapat's relics.

We started our adventure early in the morning, and finished in time for dinner in Benque Viejo... it was a perfect day that we'll never forget, as long as we live.

We were issued hard hats with strap-on head lamps, and carefully guided on our long journey through an incredible wonderland of majestic stalactites, towering stalagmites, flowing curtains of stone, and amazing signs of ancient Maya habitation and use as a ceremonial facility.

Highlight of the trip was seeing Gandalf the Gray, a stone formation that did resemble the old bearded wizard.

Definitely bring your camera, and wear sturdy hiking boots... this isn't a place for sandals.

Visited December 2010
2 Thank Kayo713
Boulder
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“See it now, before it's famous!”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Visiting Actun Chapat Cave is a great adventure. When we went, the theme song from Indiana Jones kept running through my head.
The cave is on land owned by Ken Dart and tours are arranged though his Belizean Sun Tours agency. Ken is passionate about protecting and sharing his cave. You WILL get instructed on how to behave underground, and need to take it to heart. Caves and archeological sites are fragile and irreplaceable- don't mess them up!
We met at his headquarters in the village of San Juan Succotz, about 5 miles from San Ignacio. We had a car and drove ourselves from Bullet Tree Falls, but I assume he could arrange for lodge pick-ups. The trip then proceeds with a wild thirty minute 4 wheel drive Land Rover ride through the jungle. I expected this to be kind of boring, but it was actually a lot of fun trying to hang on! For a gentler ride ask for one of the inside seats. One of our 10 year olds did and took on the job of warning us of upcoming hazards. The ride ends in a peaceful clearing where howler monkeys are sometimes sighted. We heard but unfortunately didn't see any.
The hike to the cave is on a narrow jungle track, mostly level, with a few gentle uphills. You actually go to Actun Halal Cave first, which is more of a shelter cave. It has two entrances, is lit by natural light and contains the remains of several Mayan stone walls. I didn't really hear all the details, as I was busy peeking into all the little crawlways leading off the main passage... Regardless, makes a nice break in the hike.
A few more minutes in the jungle and you approach the entrance of Actun Chapat. The cave itself is still being actively explored, but already has several miles of known passage. The passages are HUGE, 50 plus feet high, and often wider, carved by rivers long ago. The walking can be uneven, but was never particularly difficult. There are no water passages, which is great for rainy times, as Chapat stays accessible.
One of the best aspects of visiting AC is that it's a personalized trip, so we went to as many parts of the cave as possible- and there are many wonderfully decorated areas. Mayan artifacts are everywhere, mostly pot sherds as well as some larger pot rims, etc. Some of the rooms contain skulls and bones, which I found both fascinating and disturbing. Haunting even. I still can't help thinking about the families of the victims...
Anyway, we got suitably tired and made our way back to the truck where we enjoyed a meal of chicken burritos in the howler clearing. Thought about enjoying a Belikin or two, but stuck to water since I'd soon be driving back towards San Ignacio.
Actun Chapat is still off the beaten track, although I don't think it'll stay that way forever. Visiting is definitely more adventurous than going to Caves Branch or ATM, so may not appeal to everyone. But the reward is seeing a wilder cave, without the feeling that your every step is scripted and controlled. It was one of the highlights of our Belize trip and voted 'best cave in Belize' by our 2 ten year olds. And we went to a bunch- ATM, Jaguar Paw/Caves Branch, Blue Creek and Tiger (Toledo district.) Can't wait to go back and visit again!

Visited March 2011