“I love Actun Chapat!!”

and up
Private Actun Chapat Caving Expereince
Ranked #39 of 72 things to do in Cayo
More attraction details
Owner description: Spend the day in the jungle and caves on this private caving adventure. Visit the caves of Actun Halal & Chapat seeing and visualizing the past when the Mayan's used these cave for their ceremonial rituals. Gaze at huge formations and rooms that were formed ions ago. Incredible/ mystical/ beautiful/ and mysterious. Located on my private property, you will ride in the Rover 6 miles over a track that once was used by chicleros. Not a "tour", more of a trip with new friends. After walking through huge chambers and rooms you will reach the "skylight". Here, with sunlight and fresh air streaming in you can satisfy your hunger with fresh-homemade burritos, and take a well-deserved rest. After exploring and enjoying the environment further, head back to the rover to enjoy an ice cold beer, soft drink or water. I like to share this trip with the people that enjoy doing something different, getting off the beaten tourist trail. It is a special place, one that should be experienced. Please email for details as this trip is NOT for everyone. It requires a sense of adventure, love of nature, a level of endurance and physical coordination.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 9 July 2013

What an amazing trip!! The cave is incredible, it seems to go on and on forever... In fact no one has found the end as of June 2013!! Mayan pottery pieces everywhere, all throughout the cave, so many that in some chambers you really have to watch your step to be sure you are not crushing a piece of history. Our guide Ken has so much knowledge of the caves and surrounding areas to share and was a pleasure to be around. Truly enjoyed this adventure! Wear lightweight hiking clothes and shoes with good traction, lots of climbing, lots o fun:)

1  Thank jungleyogi
There are newer reviews for Actun Chapat

Reviewed 21 April 2013

After reading about the Actun Chapat tour on Tripadvisor and in the New York times online travel guide, I contacted Ken to arrange a day tour of Actun Chapat for my family (wife, myself and three daughters 21, 15, and 11). This day was a highlight of our vacation! After an adventurous ride to the property in the back of Ken’s 1978 Range Rover we began our hike to the cave opening. It was evident that Ken loves his property and the Mayan history associated with the cave. He is committed to preserving the integrity of his property by limiting the size and number of tours he offers. We greatly appreciated the private tour and the non-commercial-tourist free condition of the cave and sounding jungle area. We deliberately chose this tour over ATM because of this reason. The cave tour was amazing! While exploring the caves, we felt like we were on another planet! For lunch, we had wonderful homemade burritos made by Ken’s wife and ate them sitting under the opening of a sinkhole! This tour was unlike anything we have ever done before. If you want a day of adventure without crowds contact Ken – you will not be disappointed. Ken also arranged for a caving tubing adventure with a private guide at Jaguar Paw. Our guide for that tour, Leo, was great too!

1  Thank Jamie F
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The tour with Ken to Aktun Halal and Aktun Chapat was award winning! We started our adventure on the back of his Land Rover. Ken drove us into the jungle, and it was a bumpy ride! FUN !! We arrived to a large clearing. Short, but interesting hike to the caves was next. Aktun Halal was small, shelter cave, Aktun Chapat quite the opposite. The cave is dry, and it’s warm inside. We saw plenty of amazing natural formations, remaining artifacts and signs testifying to Mayan presence in the past. All of it was accompanied by Ken’s stories from past visits by scientists and archeologists. The cave is far from explored though. Sounds like a further exploration is in the near future.
Going through vast chambers, you realize how fascinating underground can be, and wonder how deep and how far those passages reach. Also, it is impossible not to think how soon something else is going to be discovered. As the matter of fact hearing how some things were unearthed, I let myself imagine that the next big find would happen while we were in the cave  I will not be surprised at all if one day Aktun Chapat will be declared the next ATM.
My favorite part of this tour was the fact that there was absolutely no rush! We could stop as often as we wanted, look at things as long as we wanted. There were plenty of opportunities to take great pictures. In a setting like that you can put your imagination to work. We actually pointed out a couple of formations to Ken, who did not catch them before. One looked like a sitting man in a conical hat, and one of what looked like a tapir. We are not explorers by any means, but certainly felt like it that day! Aktun Chapat was like a candy store, and it was even more exciting knowing that we were the only ones there!
Watch your footing as you walk through some parts. Ken will help you to navigate through tricky spots but it helps to be in relatively good shape and limber. I recommend shoes with a good grip. Food, drinks and helmets with headlamps are provided. If you have a serious case of fear of heights, entering Aktun Chapat will elevate your heart beat. Throughout the whole trip Ken shared with us Maya history, current socioeconomic situation, facts about local flora and fauna, and more. It was a fantastic trip, and I would love to go back there again!!
If you want a real deal adventure, off the beaten path, go with Ken Dart! Aktun Halal and Aktun Chapat can be visited only with Ken because he is the owner of the land surrounding these caves. That means no other tours, just yours!

6  Thank AAS619
Reviewed 15 October 2012

The trip with Ken and Leo was amazing! The ride out to the cave set the stage for what i thought was the best tour I did all week. It was great to learn so much about the culture and history as we went along through the cave. I would definitely go back and do this tour again next time I go to Belize, and would highly recommend anyone traveling to Belize to check this out!

1  Thank mikebTX
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I love caving and my visit to Actun Halal and Actun Chapat with owner Ken Dart, guide Leo, and friend Roxy Ortiz was a great affair - just the right balance of adventure, nature, history, culture, exercise, friendship, good food, and awe. Ken's love of the caves and fascination with the natural and cultural history is contagious and the caves are a feast for the eyes. My only regret was that I didn't have more time to explore which is just an excuse to return. Highly recommended!

2  Thank hopefulist