“Great without Carlos the Caveman”

Actun Tunichil Muknal
Book In Advance
More Info
US$110.00*
and up
Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave from San Ignacio
Ranked #1 of 73 things to do in Cayo
More attraction details
Owner description: This remote cave is filled with relics left over from the Mayans.
Reviewed 12 January 2012

ATM is absolutely amazing for those who enjoy an adventure. It is a once in a lifetime experience. The mayan pottery and bones are amazing, but I found the best part to be the trek into the cave.The downside: we went with this guy who called him Carlos the Caveman. Big Mistake. By far the rudest guide I've ever had. He was impatient and gruff with our group. He warned us that we'd better not get his headlamps wet or he'd be very angry. He was short and harsh with one of the women who had a knee injury. This guy left a really bad taste in my mouth, so be careful when you book your tour.

1  Thank MsAoKay

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Fantastic experience definitely worth it, just need to be in fair shape,.. and have a good guide,ours from Cat-tours called Danny gave us a briefing to begin with, telling us he had better things to do, constantly wanted us to rush and told us he couldn't give a da*n if one of us broke a leg, he disappeared on the way back, leaving us wading through the high water on our own only to find him back with his mates on the parking-lot, still the trip was absolutely unique!

1  Thank Ino_9
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Great trip. Very knowledgeable and expert guides helped us all the way. Not scarey but definitely exciting.

5  Thank Chubby1
Reviewed 31 December 2011

A once-in-a-lifetime experience, but be ready for some treacherous trekking to get there. Be ready for about a 45-min hike with three river crossings just to reach the mouth of the cave. Once in the cave, be ready to be in the dark anywhere from 2-3 hours (depending on your tour guide). This is not recommended if you are out of shape, claustrophobic, or afraid of the dark. Lots of rock climbing involved. MUST have good water shoes. Take a pair of socks that you're wiling to sacrifice to wear while in the chamber.

2  Thank AcetomatoTX
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My teenage boys and husband enjoyed it, but it was truly one of the most awful experiences of my life. I wish someone would have told me that you will spend 4 hours in a dark, wet, enclosed space with bats flying all around and that you climb straight up wet, slippery rocks with wet shoes. If you were to fall, it would be onto rocks and then into the mucky, waist deep water below.

The guide said to be aware of snakes. I asked what was the plan in case someone got bit... And he replied, "Well, I'm not sucking it out!" and then went to another subject. In other words, there was no plan. I actually hardly ever saw the guide once we were inside the cave. He was up front telling people where to step, and I was about a mile behind having panic attacks. If you lag behind, you are on your own, at least with this guide.

Then your reward, when you finally make it to the top, is to view the bones of a murdered little girl who was sacrificed to the gods. And then you get to turn around and do it all again, except downhill this time.

If you are even the least bit claustrophobic, think twice before you go. If you don't like slopping around in mucky water with who knows what in it, bats flying around you in the dark, slithering on your belly to get between rocks, or climbing up and down steep, slippery, wet rocks, maybe this isn't for you. I wish someone had told me.

42  Thank CraftyMomOfTwins