“"A Slice of Paradise"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Calico Jack's Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo
Calico Jack's Village
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Cayo
Washington, DC area
“"A Slice of Paradise"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

My 5-night stay at Calico Jack's provided a perfect retreat getaway from my stressful & hectic lifestyle. Calico Jack's is off the beaten path and is tucked away in the Mountain Pine Ridge area of the Cayo District. I stayed in the Moon Temple villa (one of two villas), which is a very spacious and comfortable 3-bedroom unit, complete with a kitchenette. The villa is constructed in the style of a Mayan temple, is tastefully furnished and decorated, and the property is beautifully landscaped with lush tropical plants and flowers. Looking out of the large master bedroom window provides breathtaking views of the rain forest. I would awaken to the sounds of birds singing in the morning, and one brightly colored bird would tap its beak on one of the windows every morning. Beauty abounds at Calico Jack's, and the beauty of the environment is matched by the professional and attentive service of the owners, Chester & Ydahlia, and their customer friendly staff, all of whom aim to please. The tasty meals were cooked to order and were served in the on-site restaurant, a spacious and beautiful facility that includes a lounge area with a flat screen tv. I was captivated by the beauty of the environment and took lots of pictures (will post photos at a later date) and went hiking on the medicine trail and Bega One cave, both of which are located on the property. This was my first hiking experience since I underwent reconstructive leg surgery a few years ago, and Elias, my guide, was extremely knowledgeable and patient. My first visit to Belize and my stay at Calico Jack's far exceeded my expectations, and I will definitely return to re-experience the beauty and peacefulness of this slice of paradise.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank stjhwiley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Noblesville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

My second trip to Calico Jack's for ziplining and visiting with Ydahlia and Chester did not disappoint! The ziplining there is out of this world--Carlos and William were again expert guides, taking great care that my colleague and I were safe, felt secure, and were enjoying ourselves throughout. William even kindly obliged to show us how to make a thached roof out of fronds from a tree along the jungle path! Ydahlia's secret recipe brownies, burgers, and fries made a great end to a perfect day--Calico Jack's is absolutely a must-do for anyone planning a trip to Belize. Candy Beitman, Noblesville, IN

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Perhaps it is an oxymoron to call Calico Jack's a peaceful retreat in the rain forest, however the atmosphere and the staff create a divine sanctuary. There are two villas that were available during my stay, however my daughter and I had the entire grounds to ourselves as nobody else was booked. Abner was available for any request that I had and even had a vegan menu prepared for us. The property has a medicine trail and a couple of caves available for exploration. Also, there is a great butterfly garden close by where you can see butterflies hatching if you go early in the morning before 11am. There is also a zip line, but my 4 year old was a bit too nervous to explore this adventure.
I was also able to talk to Ydalihia for two hours about my own dissertation plans. All the staff and owners were helpful and approachable.
The only challenge I see is that the price is not all inclusive so you have to pay for your meals separately from your lodging. You are too far from the nearest town, so it becomes essential to eat on the property. They do however have DELICIOUS food and a kitchenette with a microwave and fridge if you would like to prepare your own meals.
The most amazing part of my trip was sleeping alongside the rain forest. You can hear many birds, see fireflies, hear monkeys, and see bullfrogs while here. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Durham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

We just returned from our first trip to Belize today, and we were extremely pleased with Calico Jack's. We only visited for the ziplining, staying somewhere else. But it was awesome!!!! In a group of two 16 year olds and two 80 year olds, Andreas and Elijah (the Troublemakers, as they call themselves) were very helpful. My grandmother had some trouble with a small hike between ziplines, and Elijah was very patient and helped her along to finish the course, even going to the extreme of tethering her to him on the last line, while always encouraging her and laughing and joking. Andreas went out to get her after she got stuck on a zipline (after going too slow), and entertained the rest of us with his stories and tricks on the ziplines. Both guides always had smiles on their faces, and I recommend this place to EVERYONE!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Fairfield County, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed at Calico Jacks for two nights recently with our two boys, 13 and 9. Onsite, they have both the best ziplining in the country as well as great caves to explore. Therefore, for activities, you are not being transported for several hours and the fee's are lower. There are only two units on the property so don't expect alot of company. The staff make you feel very welcome and are hard workers, especially Amber in the food area and all of the zipline/caving staff were well educated and aimed to please.The pace in general of the country is slow so expect it to be "belizian style"...Two nights was the perfect amount to stay there. The only minus of the hotel is that they don't have a pool yet it is in their plans. The roads to the hotel are rugged (understatement but everywhere in the jungle is a hike) but worth the experience. We also were pleasantly surprised by seeing a tarantula, scorpion and jumping tree frog which my boys loved and added to our experience. Great spot.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Meg424
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

If your looking for adventure this is a great place to start! this was my first time on a zipline and i cant think of a better place to experience it. i felt very safe with the double cables and the guides making all of the connections. i would definitely do it again!! it is a good place to base your Jungle adventures from especially if you have a rental car.
The staff was great! friendly and helpful, the food was great! we had the kebabs which were delicious and also the best looking meal of our trip, nice presentation :) thanks Abner!
the room and bed were very clean and comfortable, the woodwork was all custom made by the owner from beautiful mahogany. the lounge/restaurant/bar area was very nice with a flat screen tv (assuming you need one in while on vacation in the jungle) and leather couches. and of course Belikin beer nice and cold!
hopefully i'll make it back again some day!!
thanks again!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Noblesville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Our 2-night stay at Calico Jack's was phenomenal. We experienced the jungle and all its natural beauty, as well as the amazing hospitality of the owners and staff. The food was delicious, the rooms fantastic. Being in the jungle in the rain, surrounded by the most beautiful tropical plants and wildlife was awesome. We were blown away by the art, architecture, and engineering of this self-contained community. We loved the zipline. We will be back. Candy and Jim Beitman, Noblesville, Indiana.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple